Author: Dave Hardin

  • Tuesday morning feel good stories.

    Tuesday morning feel good stories.

    From Pittsburgh, PA

    Pittsburgh police believe an armed home invasion led to a struggle, with the victim getting the gun from the intruder and fatally shooting the attacker on the rear patio of a South Side Slopes home Friday morning.

    What first brought police to the home in the 100 block of Monastery Avenue was the victim’s 911 call reporting a robbery. What officers found when they arrived was a man shot and killed — which led to a more complicated investigation.

    Police identified the man killed as Daniel Ling, 18, of Baldwin.

    “There was a (911) call from a resident who said he had been robbed. When police got here, they found a body on the property,” Public Safety spokesman Chris Togneri said. “The resident was taken to the hospital first to be treated for a laceration on his head, and then was taken to police headquarters for questioning. But at this point, nobody has been arrested.”

    Police were investigating and gathering evidence for five hours, both inside and outside the house. A man at the home declined comment when approached by Pittsburgh’s Action News 4 late Friday afternoon.

    From  Bakersfield, CA

    KCSO says one person was shot in the leg on Sunday evening in the 100 block of East Pacheco Road, near South Union Avenue.

    According to KCSO, the shooting was a case of self-defense, and two different calibers of shell casings were found at the scene.

    Both people involved are males; the man who was reportedly acting in self-defense is 38 years old, and the man who was hit by gunfire is 33. His injuries are moderate and not life threatening, according to KCSO.

    The sheriff’s office says no arrests will be made and the case will be submitted to the Kern County District Attorney’s Office.

    From Stearns County, MN 

    A bungling burglar in Minnesota was nabbed after his pickup got stuck in a large pile of foul-smelling manure during the getaway, according to reports.

    Matthew Bloomquist, 29, of Hawick, Minn., was found standing on the side of the road, smoking a cigarette, covered in manure from his waist to his feet when deputies arrived to investigate Wednesday morning, according to Stearns County Sheriff Don Gudmundson.

    “He was wearing jean shorts over long underwear and no shoes, which the deputies assumed were somewhere in the manure pile,” Gudmundson said Friday in an incident report titled, “Something doesn’t smell right.”

    “Obviously this encounter was accompanied by a strong smelling odor,” he said. “Add to that the fair amount of rain we received over the weekend and you have a nice blend.”

    Deputies said Bloomquist was caught snatching lumber and other items from a farm shed in Maine Prairie Township.  When the farm owner called to report the overnight burglary, he said surprisingly that the pickup involved was still on the property, stuck in the manure, Gudmundson said.

  • Herb Severson – Phony Combat Wounded

    Herb Severson – Phony Combat Wounded

    The folks at militaryphony.com send us their work on Herbert Roland Severson Jr, who claims he served in the Army for 22 years, was Airborne, a Ranger, was with Special Forces, was with the 75th Regiment, was in Grenada, and was awarded two Purple Hearts.

    When talking with someone about a M67 fragmentation grenade, he recounted his experience with it…

    There were a lot of the same claims reinforced in this thread…

    Then, there is the matter of the two Purple Hearts, you know, as Marine would say “from being in the suck”…


    To be Frank, his Facebook page is littered with claims going back many years.  They’re not hard to find.  We only included a few choice ones here to give you a feel of the experiences he talks about.

    By looking at his military records, you wouldn’t believe it is the same man…

    But the photo kind of confirms it…


    that is, if you squint your eyes and try and apply age progression techniques with his more recent photos…

    So, almost six years and he got out as an E-1.  That didn’t stop his commitment to “defending the constitution” and helping his fellow veterans. He plead guilty to embezzling close to $6,000 from an American Legion Post.

    He did make Sgt (E-5) at one time but shot right to E-1 before getting out.  Probably a Big Army screw up.

    They could not find anything in his military records that supported the claims of 22 years of service, Airborne, Ranger, SF, Grenada and most importantly, no Purple Hearts.

    His motivation to serve his country is so strong that apparently, he’d go back in for the right MOS.

    Try as I may, I couldn’t find a picture of his workbench.  All I know for sure is the man seems to be a few shingles short of a square plus Plumb and Bob must have left his crooked ass a while back.

  • Pakistan not getting $300 million and Palestinian refugee agency gets funding cut off entirely.

    The Trump administration is cutting funding to Paki and Palestinian groups.  I guess President Trump is expecting something in return for that cash or doesn’t support their efforts in the first place.

    The US military says it is cancelling $300m (£230m) in aid to Pakistan over what it calls Islamabad’s failure to take action against militant groups. President Donald Trump has previously accused Pakistan of deceiving the US while receiving billions of dollars. Pentagon spokesman Lt Col Koné Faulkner said the US military would aim to spend the money on other “urgent priorities”.

    The move, which needs to be approved by the US Congress, is part of a broader suspension announced in January.  The US state department has criticised Pakistan, a key ally, for failing to deal with terrorist networks operating on its soil, including the Haqqani network and the Afghan Taliban.

    “We continue to press Pakistan to indiscriminately target all terrorist groups,” Col Faulkner said in a statement on Saturday, adding that the $300m aid – which had earlier been suspended – should be used elsewhere due to “a lack of Pakistani decisive actions” in tackling the issue.

    The announcement comes just days before US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is due to visit Pakistan to meet the country’s new prime minister, Imran Khan.

    The US and others have long complained that Pakistan provides a safe haven to militant networks, allowing them to carry out cross-border attacks in Afghanistan – something that Islamabad denies.

    The news is even worse for the poor plight of the Palestinians. 

    The poor children…think of the poor childern.

    The US and Israel also disagree with Unrwa on which Palestinians are refugees with a right to return to the homes they fled following the 1948 war.

    Nikki Haley, the US ambassador to the UN, said earlier this week that Unrwa exaggerated the number of Palestinian refugees, and needed to reform.

    “You’re looking at the fact that, yes, there’s an endless number of refugees that continue to get assistance, but more importantly, the Palestinians continue to bash America,” she said.

    The state department says the US is contributing a “very disproportionate share of the burden of Unrwa’s costs”.

    It complains of a business model and fiscal practices, linked to an “exponentially expanding community of entitled beneficiaries”, which is “unsustainable and has been in crisis mode for many years”.

    I appears as if President Trump doesn’t want to give money to people who attack our friends and slander our good deeds.  What will this administration do next?  These are crazy times.

  • Monday morning feel good stories.

    Monday morning feel good stories.

    From Tolland, CT

    A 25-year-old Connecticut man faces several charges after firing shots in his house at what he told police may have been a ghost.  Christain Devaux of Tolland is due in court on Sept. 11 on charges including the illegal discharge of a firearm, making a false statement to police, second-degree reckless endangerment, misusing an emergency call, and disorderly conduct.

    Police say Devaux put two bullet holes in his wall on July 26, initially reporting the incident as an attempted break in.

    He later told police that he is a paranormal investigator and that he believes the intruder was actually a spirit.

    Devaux, who is free on $5,000 bond, did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment. State police told the Journal Inquirer of Manchester that Devaux had made a similar report back in 2011.

    I don’t make them up, I just report them.  Have a nice Labor Day.

     

  • Mike Ritze’ embellishing ways cost him re-election.

    Mike Ritze’ embellishing ways cost him re-election.

    Mike Ritze lost in Primary.  Jonn wrote about Mike Ritze back in May.

    According to Tulsa World, Oklahoma Legislator Mike Ritze who represents Broken Arrow has been called out by two of his peers for wearing a Disabled American Veterans cap with a Purple Heart attached on the floor of the chamber;

    Two of his House colleagues — Reps. Kevin McDugle, R-Broken Arrow, and Josh West, R- Grove — are accusing Ritze of embellishing his military record. They say he has been wearing on the House floor the DAV cover — or hat — with a Purple Heart insignia, implying that he was a member and had been awarded the medal.

    He also claimed that DAV had given him a honorary membership in the organization. DAV denies that and they’ve asked him to stop using their name in his campaign material.

    There were other factors involved with Mike Titze losing…but it seems he was not used to being challenged.  He was accustomed to being unopposed.

    Broken Arrow state Rep. Mike Ritze lost to Stan May. Ritze became embroiled in his own controversy when claims of “stolen valor” surfaced against him.

    Ritze had not seen an opponent of any kind since winning his first term in the 2008 House District 80 Republican primary. Roberts has had only one real test, a 2012 Republican primary, since winning his first term in 2010.

    I certainly hope his embellishing ways being exposed helped him snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  He just looks like the kind of guy I want to see fail.

  • Sunday morning feel good stories.

    From Goochland, VA

    A New Zealand man who traveled to the U.S. home of a 14-year-old girl he had communicated with online was shot by the girl’s mother, a sheriff said Monday.
    Troy George Skinner, 25, was shot Friday after he allegedly smashed a glass door and tried to enter the home in Goochland, Virginia, said sheriff James Agnew.
    The Goochland County sheriff said Skinner bought a knife and duct tape after arriving in the U.S. The sheriff also said the girl’s mother saw a man trying to enter her home, warned him several times she had a gun, then fired after he broke the glass on the second door he tried to open.

    Skinner was struck in the neck and remains hospitalized, according to authorities.

    “All I can say is the manner in which he attempted to enter that home in the face of a firearm pointed at him and the implements we recovered from him – the only inference is that he had very bad intent,” Agnew said.  Agnew said Skinner will be charged with breaking and entering with a deadly weapon with the intent to commit a serious crime.

    New Zealand police said they were aware of the incident and would be helping U.S. authorities as needed. New Zealand authorities say they’ve also been in contact with Skinner’s family and have offered consular assistance.

    It wasn’t immediately known if Skinner has an attorney. His hometown in New Zealand was not given by authorities.

  • Mac McDuffee – Phony Recon Marine

    Mac McDuffee – Phony Recon Marine

    The folks at Military Phony send us their work on this Raymond Leo McDuffee fellow, who commonly refers to himself as “Mac” McDuffee.

    McDuffee apparently likes to dress up in his Marine Corps dress blues and sports a bunch of medals along with a USMC Recon scuba bubble and jump wings.

    He even claims he was a Recon Marine in a post recently…

    He also has an “I Love Me” display of his USMC accouterments… ah, er… “bling” or “stuff” or “flair.”  As you may have learned from the movie “Office Space,” you can go with the minimum amount of flair or you can choose to go a little beyond… you know, so you can express yourself.

    To complete the picture, an effort was made to identify the medals he was wearing.

    He started crossing paths with some Recon Marines who did not remember him from back in the day.

    McDuffee’s records were ordered to see what supported his claims.

    From the summary at Military Phony…

    McDuffee served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 31 MAY 1977 to 27 MAR 1980, or just shy of three years.  He has a status of temporary retired, so there may have been a medical condition that came into play.

    His records show that he was a Field Radioman (MOS 2531) and not Recon (MOS 0321).  McDuffee’s records  do not have any training as a Recon Marine.  He has no scuba schools or jump school assignments nor does it state that he earned the scuba bubble and jump wing emblems.  His records make no mention of having a Navy Commendation Medal, or Two  SIX awards of the Navy Achievement Medal.  Neither does he have a Meritorious Unit Commendation, Good Conduct, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.  No NATO medal or any other medal for that matter are in his official records.

    The only thing he got right in those pictures of his is his rank and Rifle Expert Badge.  He does not rate a hashmark on his sleeve for continued service in fact he did not even complete his initial enlistment.

    He appears to have had perfectly honorable service and is a United States Marine…he should start acting like it.

  • Saturday morning feel good stories

    Saturday morning feel good stories

    From BAKERSFIELD, CA

    A security guard shot a robber Thursday night at a Metro PCS store on Chester Avenue, police said.  Police said the robbers entered the store shortly before 6 p.m., pointing a gun at employees and shoppers.

    An armed security guard stepped in to stop the robbery and shot one of the suspects. The other robbers took off, police said.  A shopper was also injured, but police didn’t say how that person was hurt.

    From Kissimmee, FL

    An armed robbery suspect was shot by the victim on Tuesday after the man threatened to rob him during a cellphone transaction.  At about 5:12 p.m., Orange County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a Walgreens drug store at 2050 E. Osceola Parkway in Kissimmee to investigate a report of a shooting.

    According to a Sheriff’s Office report, a robbery occurred, which led the victim to shoot at the suspect, Alexander Diaz. The victim told deputies he made arrangements through Craigslist to purchase cellphones from Diaz. They met at the Walgreens to conduct the transaction. Diaz then demanded more money from the victim and made verbal threats, insinuating he had a weapon and he was going to rob the victim, the report stated. The victim feared he was going to be robbed after the suspect walked to his car and placed an object in his waistband. Diaz approached the victim again in an aggressive manner, demanded additional money and postured himself as if he was removing a gun from his waistband, Sheriff’s Office officials said. The victim stated he feared for his life and fired several rounds at Diaz. The suspect retreated to his vehicle and fled the area at a high rate of speed.

    Detectives were able to locate Diaz and discovered that he had suffered a gunshot wound. Diaz was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center with non-life threatening wounds and was later booked into the Orange County Jail for armed robbery.