Author: Dave Hardin

  • Sgt. Maj. Christopher Nelms killed in training accident

    Reported by Yahoo News:

    U.S. Army Special Operations Command, which exercises administrative control of Delta Force, did not announce Nelms’s death, but confirmed it when contacted by Yahoo News. “One service member died as a result of a free-fall training incident on June 27, 2018, in Laurinburg, N.C.,” said Lt. Col. Robert Bockholt, the command spokesman, in an email response to questions from Yahoo News. Nelms “received initial medical treatment for his injuries but unfortunately died at the hospital.”

    Nelms was twice awarded the Silver Star, the military’s third-highest award for valor, during a 28-year Army career that he began as an infantryman before moving to the Army National Guard’s 19th Special Forces Group. He returned to active duty in 2008 and was selected for Delta, with whom he deployed six times to Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.

    Their whole story is HERE and the Army Times Article is HERE

  • Sunday morning feel good stories

    Can you still own a firearm with a straw conviction in California?
    Asking for a friend.

    In other news…

    From Houston, TX

    A pastor of a small church in Houston’s Sunnyside neighborhood was nearly shot when he confronted a burglar.
    It all began around 6:30 a.m. Saturday when the burglary alarm went off at the Faith Missionary Baptist Church on Brinkley Street and Southview Street.
    The pastor says he arrived at the church and surprised a man outside going through stolen stuff.  When the pastor flashed his own gun, the burglary suspect fired at him. During an exclusive interview with ABC13, the pastor says the burglar took off with the hard drive to his surveillance system and now has no video.

    Miller County, MO

    Miller County’s prosecutor says a homeowner was justified when they shot an intruder last week.  The Miller County’s Sheriff’s Office said it happened July 23 at 116 Old Bagnell Road.  Investigators say the intruder entered the residence illegally and started a confrontation with the homeowner, who shot him in the arm.

    The victim was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.  Prosescutor Bin Winrey said information obtained during the investigation showed the homeowner acted within their rights.

  • Residents complain about man’s ‘stolen valor’ image

    They have a video of the event HERE

     

    PITCAIRN, Pa. – Several Pitcairn residents are outraged about a man who they claim displays Marine Corps insignias and says he served overseas but did not actually serve in the armed forces.  Such cases are referred to as “stolen valor” — people who seek attention and sometimes financial benefits based on a false military history.

    A Marine Corps veteran questioned Luis Cruz on video about his apparently contradictory claims of service, and the video began to circulate on social media.  “I’ve seen him with different military uniforms, in Army, Navy … never a full Marine Corps (uniform) on, but veteran T-shirts,” said former Cpl. Matt Ruby, who did serve in Iraq.

    Pitcairn Police Chief Scott Farally confirmed they’ve received complaints about Cruz, and are launching an investigation while getting the Department of Veterans Affairs involved.

    “That he served numerous tours in Iraq,” Farally said. “He actually made it to another individual who bought him food that really thought he was in the military.”

    Channel 11 found Luis Cruz in Pitcairn on Thursday and asked him about the complaints. He said he did indeed serve in the Marines for 15 years, and was stationed in California and then Texas.

    But when we asked him if he served in Iraq, he said no. We showed Cruz the video of him saying he went to Iraq, and asked him why his answer was different.

    “I don’t remember saying that, because I was upset,” he said.

  • Staff Sgt. Justin Gallegos to receive the Distinguished Service Cross

    The 5 year eligibility requirement to be awarded the Distinguished Service Cross had expired in the case of  Army Staff Sergeant Justin Gallegos.   According to military.com both houses of Congress have passed bills that would waive the time restriction in his case.

    Lawmakers have cleared the way for the posthumous awarding of the nation’s second-highest valor medal to a U.S. Army staff sergeant for his bravery during the deadly 2009 battle for Combat Outpost Keating in Afghanistan, according to the fiscal 2019 defense budget.

    The final version of the John S. McCain National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal 2019 included a provision that would award the Distinguished Service Cross to Justin Gallegos for his heroism. Both the House and Senate versions of the bill contained similar provisions supporting Gallegos, who fought repulse a determined Taliban assault at the COP, located in Afghanistan’s eastern Nuristan province.

    Staff Sergeant Gallegos was initially awarded the Silver Star, it will now be upgraded to the Distinguished Service Cross.

    His profile on togetherweserved

  • Saturday morning feel good stories.

    From GARDEN GROVE, CA

    A Garden Grove homeowner armed with a handgun helped catch a suspected burglar who broke into his neighbor’s home – and may have shot a second accomplice who got away, police said.  He tried to detain the two men and his gun went off during the struggle. One suspect was tackled and held by the neighbors while another got away and drove off in a black Lincoln Navigator with paper plates.

    From Dayton, OH

    A 23-year-old man who shot another man multiple times tonight told police he shot his would-be robber.  The 911 caller said the other man, who also was armed, fled in a blue Chevrolet Cruze, but not before he dropped his gun, according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.

    The shooting victim, a 22-year-old man, was shot multiple times, Dayton police Lt. Steven Bauer said.  A worker said the incident happened at one of the gas pumps.

    The gunshot victim was found inside his car a short distance away, on Home Avenue near U.S. 35 and was taken to Miami Valley Hospital with injuries not considered life-threatening, the lieutenant said.

    From SELMA, AL

    A woman is charged with shooting and killing her husband in Selma Tuesday morning.

    It happened in the 2100 block of Church Street. Investigators say Carl Dixon was taking out the trash when a used condom fell out, and he presumed his estranged wife, Jackquelin Dixon, had been cheating on him. Investigators reported that after a confrontation Jackquelin Dixon fired several shots at Carl Dixon in the front yard.

    He was struck once and died in the driveway.

    Selma police charged Dixon with murder and placed her in the Dallas County jail on a $100,000 bond. Dixon has since posted her bond. District Attorney Michael Jackson says the case will be presented to a Dallas County grand jury in September.

    So what have we learned here?  If you find evidence that your Spousal Unit had an accidental discharge,  hide the guns before you confront her.  The good news is, she is out on bail and probably lonely gents.  Have a nice day.

  • TAH SITREP

    TAH SITREP

    First, let me thank all of you for the amazing support.  I wanted to do an update because I get this odd feeling as if Jonn is gone and we are all just moving along as if nothing happened.  Although that is exactly what Jonn wanted us to do, it feels oddly disrespectful to keep going on without having a memorial service or something.

    It will take weeks for a funeral at Arlington to be finalized.  The family wants a private memorial service of some kind as well.  There are many things going on in regards to the private affairs of Jonn Lilyea, we can all only hope to have a person like TSO around when we go.  We will have a memorial service at some point in the near future.  It will probably be in the DC area and we will post its time and location well in advance.

    I am positive that Jonn would also want to thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers.

    Jonn would be proud of the TAH family, of that I have no doubt.  He would also be so happy that the Dark Side of his fan club did not let him pass and simply ignore it.  I have saved most of their comments, web posts and emails and will probably do some kind of shadow box with them.  It is hard to explain the joy he received from their attention.  I was afraid that after Bernath turned himself into a Lawn Dart they might have lost interest.

    I plan on leaving Jonn’s passing announcement pinned to the top of the page for a while longer.  We are still getting emails from people who clearly do not realize he has passed.   What little part I have in any of this is meaningless without all of you.

    Best Regards,  your humble servant

    Dave

  • Donald Allan Stilton; Fake Navy SEAL and mystery veteran.

    Donald Allan Stilton; Fake Navy SEAL and mystery veteran.

    Our friends over at militaryphony.com sent us their case on Donald Allan Stilton.

    It looks like he is trying to claim he was Navyish kinda.  Not sure what all that award salad is supposed to mean.  Of course he has the hat.

    Wait, maybe his is Armyish.

    A couple of real Navy SEALs at militaryphony.com were asked about him, but unlike Cheers…nobody knows his name.

    All we can report is the SEAL database has no record of him and the Navy said they never heard of him either.

    FACEBOOK ACCOUNT https://www.facebook.com/donald.stilton?hc_location=ufi

    FACEBOOK ACCOUNT 2 https://www.facebook.com/donald.stilton.16?hc_location=ufi

     

  • Frederick Mendoza’s death sentence vacated because of PTSD.

    Frederick Mendoza’s death sentence vacated because of PTSD.

     

    From a 2008 article

    Rita Kremberg, originally from New York, lived in Las Vegas for about nine years with her husband, who died in 2002. They didn’t have any children but a friend testified that Kremberg and her husband had been active in raising money for medical centers for kids. Her friend, Gene Fogleman, said Kremberg was afraid of the crime in New York City and thought she’d be safer in Las Vegas.

    Kremberg was found dead at her apartment on March 3, 2007. She was naked from the waist down and had multiple stab wounds. Her attacker didn’t steal anything from her apartment.

    Las Vegas detectives found Mendoza’s fingerprints on a liquor bottle found inside Kremberg’s apartment. Mendoza denied knowing Kremberg or ever being in her apartment when homicide detectives asked him about it. He had lived at the Destination Senior Living facility about three months.  Mendoza’s DNA was found under Kremberg’s fingernails and on her genitals, said county prosecutor Robert Daskas.

    Daskas also told the jury that Mendoza had a prior conviction for a sexual crime in Las Vegas. In 1977, he met a woman at a hotel bar, followed her to her hotel room, choked her and raped her, Daskas said.  The victim in the case wanted to press charges against Mendoza because she believed he would kill the next time, Daskas said.

    Mendoza pleaded guilty to battery with the intent to commit rape in 1978 and was out of prison by 1979.

    Now a Judge has vacated his death sentence because he caught the PTSD in the NAM.

    A Las Vegas judge on Thursday vacated the death penalty for a Vietnam War veteran who raped and killed a 68-year-old woman more than 10 years ago.  Frederick Mendoza, now 71, pleaded guilty in 2008 in the slaying of Rita Kremberg. But he immediately appealed his sentence, which was handed down by a jury after a penalty hearing.  Under a deal with prosecutors made this month, Mendoza agreed that he would waive any challenge to his conviction and not appeal a sentence of life without parole.

    Mendoza had post-traumatic stress disorder after serving more than 18 months as a Marine in Vietnam, said his lawyer, Jamie Resch, who called the jury’s sentence “fundamentally unreliable.”

    If lawyers either wearing a robe or not decide these things, why waist the time of 12 citizens who are “fundamentally unreliable.”

    “This hard-fought and extremely rare agreement helps treat a combat veteran fairly and protects the state’s interest by ensuring Mr. Mendoza lives out his remaining days in prison,” said Resch, who had not spoken with Mendoza since District Judge Michael Villani signed off on the agreement. “I’m certain he’s very happy with this. He’s older and just wants to live out his days with the most freedom he can as an inmate.”

    Can I get a show of hands…how many people care about what Mendoza wants?  It’s because of lawyers in robes like Mikey Villani that this animal was let back on the streets after a year in the 70’s.   A jury of his peers said the man should have been executed years ago, he should have no say in anything at this point.  PTSD is no excuse for any crime.

    Kremberg was sexually assaulted and stabbed 18 times by Mendoza, and her throat was slit with a steak knife in March 2007, authorities said. The two were residents at Destinations Spring Valley, a senior-living facility near Jones Boulevard and Flamingo Road.