Category: Terror War

  • “Nothing to See Here. Move Along”

    Looks like a couple of other “non-terrorist events” happened yesterday.

    Jonn’s already mentioned one of them – that “intentional” explosion in NYC, along with the discovery of a possible pressure-cooker bomb 4 streets north – that NYC’s mayor says isn’t related to either terrorism or the New Jersey bombing earlier that day.  So I’ll discuss the other.

    In Minnesota yesterday, a guy with a knife sliced and diced eight people at a shopping mall.  (All but one of his victims have been treated and released by medical authorities, and all are expected to survive.)  He was wearing a private security company uniform at the time of the attack.

    The incident ended when the low-life bastard perp was shot and killed by an off-duty cop from a different legal jurisdiction who by chance was in the mall at the time.  That off-duty cop was authorized to carry concealed, and was indeed carrying at the time of the incident.

    The low-life bastard reportedly asked at least one of his victims if they were Muslim.  He was also reportedly heard referencing Allah during his attack.

    Local authorities have so far “declined to call the attacks an act of terrorism, saying the suspect’s motive isn’t known yet.”   Gee, that seems mighty . . . nice of them.  I guess that means there’s no reason to be concerned.

    “Nothing to see here, sheeple.  Move along.”

    Yeah, I’m thinking my leg feels wet again.  And it hasn’t been raining.

  • NYC bombing injures 29

    We mentioned yesterday an apparent bombing in New Jersey and a few hours later, a bomb went off in New York City injuring 29 people, according to Fox News;

    De Blasio said the explosion had no known connection to terrorism and wasn’t related to a pipe bomb explosion at a charity run in New Jersey earlier Saturday.

    “Tonight, New York City experienced a very bad incident,” de Blasio said at a news conference near the scene in Chelsea. “We have no credible and specific threat at this moment.”

    The blast, which happened at around 8:30 p.m. on West 23rd Street, appeared to originate from a construction toolbox in front of a building, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press. A garbage can was found mangled nearby.

    Less than three hours after the explosion, investigators located a pressure cooker inside a plastic bag at West 27th Street that was attached to wiring and a cellphone, a law enforcment source told Fox News.

    Whether it was Islamist or something else, it was clearly terrorist-related if it was a bomb, I don’t why they go out of their way to deny that it’s terrorism – there are other forces at work in this country besides jihadism.

  • Jersey pipe bomb misses targets

    Jersey pipe bomb misses targets

    Pipebomb

    According to CBS News, a pipebomb exploded along the route of a 5k race in Seaside Park, New Jersey. It was timed to explode when competitors passed by the trash can where it was hidden, but a delay of the race threw the timing off;

    No injuries were reported in the blast in Seaside Park, which occurred around 9:30 a.m. Saturday.

    According to city officials, there were possibly three pipe bombs in the same trash can, but only one exploded.

    The 5k run was known locally as the “Seaside Semper Five Marine Corps Charity 5k

    According to the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office, there were no injuries and no damage to surrounding structures.

    Pipebomb2

  • Guantanamo recidivism

    Guantanamo recidivism

    Vice News reports that at least four Guantanamo grads have returned to what they know best. That makes a total of 208 out of 693 detainees (about 30%) who have returned to terrorism or are suspected of returning to their trade according to the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI).

    The ODNI’s report was released shortly before the House of Representatives voted 244-174 in favor of a bill that seeks to prohibit the federal government from using funds to transfer any more detainees out of the detention facility. The White House has already said Obama would veto the legislation.

    Twenty of the remaining 61 Guantanamo detainees have been cleared for transfer to other countries. The Pentagon is expected to move them off of the naval base by the end of the year. The Obama administration has released 32 detainees so far in 2016.

    Speaking of Gitmo grads, the fellow in Uruguay, Abu Wael Dhiab, who absconded from his supervised release earlier this year is slipping in and out of a coma brought on by his hunger strike because he wants to return to the Middle East. He’s Syrian, but he’s been sentenced to death in that country in absentia because of his terrorist activities, so he can’t be returned home.

    He’s unhappy with his free home and his $500/month stipend from the Uruguayan government and he misses his friends and family.

    Ambassador Lee Wolosky, the U.S. special envoy for Guantanamo closure, expressed frustration over Dhiab’s actions in Uruguay, noting that Uruguay’s government had been in “very advanced stages” of bringing the former prisoner’s wife and children from Turkey when he left for Venezuela.

    “I think Dhiab has been offered every opportunity by the government of Uruguay to move on with his life and he has disgracefully repudiated the extraordinary hospitality and generosity of the government of Uruguay,” Wolosky said.

  • Three US Kurdish militia members brought home

    AW1Ed sends us a link to the Washington Post which reports that US citizens who were killed fighting with the Kurdish militia against ISIS are making their last journey home.

    The bodies of Levi Shirley, William Savage and Jordan MacTaggart will arrive on a flight to Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport, before traveling to their respective home states, said Shirley’s mother, Susan, and Savage’s sister, Brenna. Kurdish groups transported the remains by ground from Syria to Iraq earlier this month, weeks after they were killed in combat against the Islamic State while serving as members of the People’s Protection Units (YPG), a ground force aligned with the U.S. military.

    […]

    [Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D.-Colo.)] said in a statement Wednesday that though the three men did not serve in the U.S. military, the United States has the responsibility to bring them home and to give the families relief and closure.

    “While much of the process took too long, this situation was unique and extremely complicated,” Perlmutter said. “It took extraordinary measures by many people to get these men from Syria to the U.S. — especially given the ever-changing and dangerous geopolitical dynamics in the Middle East. It seems we are in the final stages of this long and sad situation. I will be relieved when these young men are finally returned home to their families.”

    The Post says that Shirley was denied enlistment into the Marine Corps because of poor eye sight and Savage had a history of seizures which prevented his enlistment.

  • The orphaned rescue failure

    The orphaned rescue failure

    President Kennedy said of the Bay of Pigs “victory has 100 fathers and defeat is an orphan”. That describes the recent failure of a rescue attempt in Afghanistan last month which we wrote about last week recounting the story from our buddy Susan Katz Keating in AMI Newswire. Today she writes that blame for the failure is lost in the finger pointing between the White House and the Pentagon.

    The rescue at issue is the attempt to save two English language instructors from the American University of Kabul, American Kevin King and Australian Kevin Weeks, who were captured at gunpoint on August 7th outside of the Afghanistan capital.

    A U.S. special operations team was flown into position to mount a rescue on Aug. 10, but President Barack Obama did not give his final approval. Twenty-four hours later, Obama reviewed the “decision documents” and authorized the raid.

    Descending via high-altitude parachute drop, the American commandos landed on the night of Aug, 11 near their objective: a makeshift prison compound guarded by armed men. Under the cover of darkness, the commandos breached the outer walls.

    “We raised hell in that compound,” one person with direct knowledge of the raid said. “We knocked down walls and killed bad guys.”

    As they climbed through the openings in the walls, U.S. forces traded shots with hostile fighters, leaving seven defenders dead and one wounded, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) confirmed. Among its many duties, CENTCOM is the Pentagon’s Unified Combatant Command in charge of operations in Afghanistan.

    “No civilians were killed or harmed,” said Col. John J. Thomas, the CENTCOM Director of Public Affairs. “No U.S. forces were killed or hurt.”

    Nor were the teachers rescued – they were gone just four hours before the operators dropped on the target.

    The disagreement comes in the events of August 10th leading up to the cancelled mission – when the teachers were at the target. The Pentagon claims that they gave all of the information that the president would need to approve the mission in a timely manner, but the National Security Council staff disagrees.

    “On the first night in question, the decision never reached the President to make a decision,” a senior Pentagon official wrote in an email. “The fact of the matter is the President was never presented with a decision document that day.”

    However, U.S. sources with knowledge of the mission said they heard a radio message that contained words to this effect: “The President can’t make time on his schedule to give the go-ahead.”

    So when the operators jumped off on the 11th, King and Weeks had been moved from the target compound just four hours earlier. According to Keating, the president’s schedule included a round of golf on the 10th, although it’s not clear what exactly he was doing when the mission briefing arrived at the Martha’s Vineyard compound.

    I can’t help but think of Lyndon Johnson picking targets for B-52 strikes in North Vietnam from the basement of the White House. If the President wants to win this war, he’s going to have to get his hands out of the planning.

  • Nice Shot

    Anyone who’s been following events in the Middle East during the past few years knows Daesh has some sadistic and evil bastards in its ranks.  But some really stand out.

    Like the Daesh executioner who liked to execute people with fire.  Using a flamethrower.

    Well, it appears that particular evil bastard is no longer stealing oxygen.  He and three of his “friends” are now receiving the “tender personal attention” that comes with an afterlife in the company of Shaitan.

    It seems that earlier this month, the Daesh executioner was preparing to burn to death a group of twelve prisoners using his favorite flamethrower.  But before doing so, the evil bastard first harangued his prospective victims-to-be with a rambling speech.

    Bad move.

    You see, there was an SAS sniper team in the area – located approximately 1,500 meters away.  When the Daesh tool finished his speech, the sniper took his shot.

    The shot nailed the fuel tank on the evil bastard’s back.  The resulting explosion and fire took out the executioner – and his three accomplices.  I’d like to think it also gave them a preview of what they’d experience for the rest of eternity.

    US and British Special Forces in the area soon afterwards rescued the prisoners.

    The NY Post and UK Daily Mail each have decent articles on the incident.  IMO, they’re truly “feel good” stories.

     

    (Hat tip to TAH commenter Greybeard for bringing this incident to my attention via comments elsewhere,)

  • Hostage rescue was aborted while Obama vacationed

    Barack Obama

    Our buddy, Susan Katz Keating wrote an article yesterday entitled “Hostage rescue was aborted while Obama vacationed“. Apparently, she’s getting some backlash from the Pentagon on it this morning, so you’d better read it before it’s gone.

    The story is that folks were in route to a target where they were expecting to rescue some hostages, but because the President was on vacation in Martha’s Vineyard, he hadn’t had time to consider the operation, so they were called back. By the time they finally got approval, the hostages were gone.

    “We raised hell in that compound,” said a security staffer with knowledge of the mission. “We knocked down walls and killed bad guys.”

    Seven hostile combatants were killed and one injured, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) confirmed to American Media Institute. Among its many duties, CENTCOM is the Pentagon’s Unified Combatant Command in charge of operations in Afghanistan.

    “No civilians were killed or harmed,” said Col. John J. Thomas, the CENTCOM director of public affairs. “No U.S. forces were killed or hurt.”

    The missions took place Aug. 10 and 11, in Afghanistan, Thomas confirmed. He did not address operational details of the rescue missions; but AMI spoke to sources who provided details, some of which CENTCOM confirmed.

    We’re not surprised, because that’s how this president has been fighting this war against terror – when he has the time and he’s fully considered the political implications. Unfortunately, wars fought like that aren’t all that effective.

    But, like I said, go read SKK’s article while you still can.

    ADDED: The “main stream media” is pushing back against SKK’s version of events in deference to the Pentagon.