Category: Terror War

  • 3 US soldiers killed, one wounded in Afghanistan

    The Department of Defense announced that three US soldiers were killed in Afghanistan yesterday;

    Three U.S. soldiers were killed in eastern Afghanistan today. One U.S. soldier was wounded and has been evacuated for medical treatment. Next of kin notification is underway.

    This incident is under investigation. Additional information will be released as appropriate.

    NPR reports that it was a “green on blue” attack;

    An Afghan soldier opened fire on his U.S. counterparts on Saturday, killing three Americans and wounding at least one other. A spokesman for the provincial governor of Nangarhar, in eastern Afghanistan, confirmed that the incident occurred during an operation in the district of Achin, on the Pakistan border.

    “In (a) joint US-Afghan military operation … American troops were killed when an Afghan member of army commando opened fire on them,” Attaullah Khogyani told Al-Jazeera earlier in the day. “The Afghan commando was also killed in counterattack.”

    The Associated Press reports that the Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

    The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement that a Taliban loyalist had infiltrated the Afghan army “just to attack foreign forces.”

  • ISIS, losing in the Levant, focuses on Europe

    According to AFP, UN Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs Jeffrey Feltman, speaking to the UN Security Council, told them that ISIS is adapting to their loses in Syria and Iraq by shifting their focus to Europe;

    “ISIL has reorganized its military structure, giving more power to local commanders and is more focused than ever before on enabling and inspiring attacks outside of conflict zones.”

    Speaking before the UN Security Council, Feltman cited recent attacks in Belgium, Britain, France, Germany, Russia, Sweden and Turkey.

    The group has posted fewer messages on social networks in the past 16 months, but “the threat persists as supporters outside Syria and Iraq collect and redistribute this propaganda.”

    The total number of IS fighters and the group’s revenues have also dropped during the same period, Feltman added.

    But IS can count on tens of millions of dollars per month from oil sales, extortion, ransom kidnapping, antiquities trafficking and mining exploitation in territories they control.

    While the number of foreign fighters recruited by IS has also decreased, “returnees and the relocation of fighters from the conflict zones to other regions now present a considerable threat to international peace,” Feltman said.

    “Duh!”

    Isn’t that what folks, especially Donald Trump, have been saying for years? That area of the world has been exporting terrorism for decades, why should any of it change now?

    Nice of the rest of the world catch up to the realist, not that the UN is going to be able to do anything except talk. I’m sure they’ll find a way to punish Israel for it, though.

  • Jihadist litterbugs

    Jihadist litterbugs

    Abdullah Al Rifahe and his brother, Majid Al Rifahe were sitting in their car in Minneapolis, Minnesota, muching on lickies and chewies while tossing the wrappers on the street last month. A local resident observed them and asked the pair to be more mindful of their trash. The two brothers verbally assaulted the man. He began recording their license plate number and the pair got more abusive. The citizen flagged down a passing police cruiser.

    Police asked them their business and they said they were waiting for a drone delivery which made the cops more curious. The Twin Cities Pioneer Press says that police were surprised by the contents of their car;

    A hand grenade, a handgun, assault rifles and magazines and a large quantity of ammunition, according to a criminal complaint filed against the brothers. They also found cellphones, computers and electronic devices that could be used for bomb making.

    The weapons were confiscated. Majid Al Rifahe, 26, was cited for misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct and released.

    Abdulla Al Rifahe, 27, was charged with felony carrying a pistol in public without a permit and remains in jail in lieu of $200,000 bail, according to the Star Tribune report. He had previously been arrested for the same crime a few months before and released from jail a couple of months before this incident.

    Denizens of Minneapolis are left wondering what the brothers were planning and the police aren’t telling beyond reassuring the public that they are no longer in danger – whatever that danger was. The Star Tribune says that the alert citizen, a disabled retired railroad worker, has applied for a restraining order against the pair because they’ve been stalking him. Because the public isn’t in danger, but the alert pensioner is still a target.

  • 2 Hezbollah terrorists arrested

    2 Hezbollah terrorists arrested

    The Department of Justice announced that they had arrested two Hezbollah terrorists, Ali Kourani, 32, of the Bronx, New York, and Samer el Debek, 37, of Dearborn, Michigan, who were planning to attack the US and Israeli embassies in Panama, the Panama Canal and law enforcement in the US.

    Acting U.S. Attorney Kim said: “Today, we announce serious terrorism charges against two men who allegedly trained with and supported the Islamic Jihad Organization, a component of the foreign terrorist organization Hizballah. Recruited as Hizballah operatives, Samer El Debek and Ali Kourani allegedly received military-style training, including in the use of weapons like rocket-propelled grenade launchers and machine guns for use in support of the group’s terrorist mission. At the direction of his Hizballah handlers, El Debek allegedly conducted missions in Panama to locate the U.S. and Israeli Embassies and to assess the vulnerabilities of the Panama Canal and ships in the Canal. Kourani allegedly conducted surveillance of potential targets in America, including military and law enforcement facilities in New York City. Thanks to the outstanding work of the FBI and NYPD, the allegedly destructive designs of these two Hizballah operatives have been thwarted, and they will now face justice in a Manhattan federal court.”

    You remember Hezbollah, right? They’re the Iranian-backed group in Lebanon who busy themselves by firing rockets into Israel. Lately, they’ve been fighting ISIS and the government forces of Syria under the direction of Iran. When Hugo Chavez kicked the Christian missionaries out of Venezuela, he allowed Hezbollah fill their void among the indigenous people. I guess they’re planning to use some ISIS tactics in the West.

    Kourani, arrested in New York, immigrated with his family in 2000, and returned to Lebanon where he joined Hezbollah in 2006.

    In August 2008, Kourani submitted an application for naturalization in the U.S. in which he falsely claimed, among other things, that he was not affiliated with a terrorist organization. In April 2009, Kourani became a naturalized citizen and was issued a U.S. passport.

    el Debek, arrested in Michigan, was a naturalized US citizen and was a salaried Hezbollah employee since about 2008.

    El Debek first traveled to Panama for Hizballah in 2011, where his operational tasks included locating the U.S. and Israeli Embassies, casing security procedures at the Panama Canal and the Israeli Embassy, and locating hardware stores where explosive precursors could be purchased. Shortly before traveling to Panama, el Debek updated his status on Facebook with a post that read, in part, “Do not make peace or share food with those who killed your people.”

    In early 2012, el Debek again traveled to Panama for Hizballah, passing through New York and New Jersey, and was asked to identify areas of weakness and construction at the Panama Canal, as well as provide information about how close someone could get to a ship passing through the Canal. Upon his return from Panama, el Debek’s IJO handlers asked him for photographs of the U.S. Embassy there and details about its security procedures.

    Now we know what Iran did with their windfall pallets of cash.

  • ISIS attacks in Tehran

    Fox News reports that ISIS is claiming responsibility for a suicide attack on the Iranian Parliament early this morning. All four attackers were killed along with about 12 of their victims and dozens more were injured;

    In a rare and stunning move, ISIS released video from inside the parliament building while the attack was under way. The video, circulated online, shows a gunman and a bloody, lifeless body of a man lying on the ground next to a desk. A voice on the video praises God and says in Arabic: “Do you think we will leave? We will remain, God willing.” Another voice repeats the same words. The two appeared to be parroting a slogan used by IS spokesman Abu Mohammad al-Adnani, who was killed in Syria last year.

    The parliament assault ended Wednesday morning with all four attackers there being killed.

    One of the terrorists blew himself up inside the parliament building, where a session had been in progress, according to a statement carried by Iran state TV. It quoted lawmaker Elias Hazrati as saying the attackers were armed with Kalashnikov assault rifles.

    I guess it’s an illustration of the old saw about living and dying by the sword.

    Another coordinated attack happened at the shrine of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini where another gunman was killed along with a security guard and several other victims were injured.

    Of course, Iran is being targeted by ISIS because of Persian support for Syria’s president Assad and the support for the forces arrayed against ISIS in the Levant.

  • Roy Larner, The Lion of London Bridge

    Roy Larner, The Lion of London Bridge

    The UK’s Sun tells the story of Roy Larner, who is being called “The Lion of London Bridge” for his stand against terrorists in the opening moments of the terrorist attack the other day;

    He has now been hailed the Lion of London Bridge, a nod to his club’s Lions nickname – with his friends since delivering him a tongue in cheek present of a “Learn to Run” book – a nod to the brave man’s refusal to hide from the knife-wielding terrorists.

    Roy was knifed eight times before the jihadis fled the Black & Blue restaurant and bar.

    He fearlessly shouted back and fought them single-handedly — saving countless lives as he gave staff and other drinkers time to escape.

    He told The Sun from hospital: “They had these long knives and started shouting about Allah. Then it was, ‘Islam, Islam, Islam’.

    “Like an idiot I shouted back at them. I thought, ‘I need to take the p*** out of these b******s’.”

    “I took a few steps towards them and said, ‘F*** you, I’m Millwall’. So they started attacking me.

    […]

    “I didn’t think of my safety at the time. I’d had four or five pints — nothing major.

  • Terrorist attack in Melbourne

    Terrorist attack in Melbourne

    Reuters reports that Yacqub Khayre may have been planning to ambush police when he assaulted an apartment complex in Melbourne, Australia. ISIS claimed that the Somali immigrant was one of their soldiers and Australia was a target because of that nation’s role in the war against terrorism. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull was quick to call it an “act of terrorism”.

    Senior officials confirmed that Khayre had been acquitted of a plot to attack a Sydney army base in 2009 and was on parole for a violent home invasion at the time of Monday’s siege.

    “This terrorist attack by a known criminal, a man who was only recently released on parole, is a shocking, cowardly crime,” Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull told reporters in the capital, Canberra.

    “It is a terrorist attack and it underlines the need for us to be constantly vigilant, never to be deterred, always defiant, in the face of Islamist terrorism,” he said.

    The Guardian reports that the prime minister is questioning why the terrorist was on parole;

    The Australian prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull has led calls for an investigation into why a gunman who held a woman hostage while claiming links to Islamic State had been freed on parole just six months earlier.

    One man was killed in the attack, his female hostage was uninjured and three policemen were wounded.

    By 6pm, Khayre emerged from the ground floor apartment where he had been holding an escort hostage – a 36 year-old Colombian woman unknown to him and who he had arranged to meet him at the complex that afternoon through an agency. He began firing at police who had the building surrounded. Three police officers were injured during the gunfire, and Khayre was killed. His hostage, who remained inside, was uninjured.

    The body of the building clerk was found in the reception area of the apartment building, and police said Khayre shot the man dead when he first arrived at the apartment complex. This was likely the cause of the explosion noises reported to police.

    It appears that Khayre was tampering with his ankle monitor to lure the police into an ambush.

  • Terrorist Oscar Lopez-Rivera pulls out of Puerto Rico Day parade honor

    Terrorist Oscar Lopez-Rivera pulls out of Puerto Rico Day parade honor

    According to Fox News, the Puerto Rican terrorist Oscar Lopez Rivera has withdrawn from being the honoree of the Puerto Rico Day Parade. He’ll still march in the parade, he just won’t be the parade princess, I guess.

    The parade’s board of directors said in a statement that Lopez Rivera will march June 11 “not as an honoree but as a humble Puerto Rican and grandfather.”

    “Unfortunately, the narrative around the parade is not celebration and concern for the situation on the island, but rather misinformation about who I am and what I stand for,” Lopez Rivera wrote in an Op-Ed piece published in the New York Daily News on Thursday.

    Yeah, well, they still haven’t solved the problem – that being the board of directors of the celebration who considered him worthy of recognition, despite the fact that he is a convicted conspirator of deadly terrorist activities. The board, despite the loss of sponsors and participants stood firm in their support of this creature who doesn’t represent the majority of residents on the island protectorate. They look worse than Lopez-Rivera in this story.