Category: Terror War

  • US Navy jet downs Syrian aircraft

    US Navy jet downs Syrian aircraft

    According to Fox News, a US Navy F/A-18E Super Hornet shot down a Syrian government Su-22 when it attacked anti-government rebels;

    The statement said coalition aircraft had “conducted a show of force” to turn back an attack by Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad’s forces on the SDF in the town of Ja’Din, south of Tabqah.

    The coalition said the shootdown took place “in accordance with rules of engagement and in collective self-defense of Coalition partnered forces.”

    The statement said “a number of SDF fighters” were wounded in the regime’s attack, but did not specify further. The coalition also said that Russian officers had been contacted on a special “de-confliction” hotline in an effort to halt the assault.

    The statement from the coalition headquarters called for Syrian government forces to focus on defeating ISIS instead of the rebels.

    Yeah, I don’t think the Russians will like how that turns out.

  • Another Green-on-blue attack in Afghanistan

    Reuters reports that four more American soldiers were killed in an “insider attack” in Afghanistan;

    “An Afghan soldier shot and killed four American troops inside the base,” said Abdul Qahar Araam, spokesman for the Afghan Army’s 209th Corps. “We are investigating.”

    The U.S. military command in Kabul confirmed that it was “aware of an incident” at Camp Shaheen, which is the headquarters of the 209th Corps in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif, but did not provide more details.

    Thanks to LIRight for the link.

    UPDATE: Fox reports that no Americans were killed in the attack, that there are some US wounded and one dead ANA soldier. The Reuters link has been updated, too.

    At least one Afghan soldier was killed and several American soldiers were wounded in an incident at a base in northern Afghanistan on Saturday, a U.S. military official said.

  • Second-guessing Mattis

    The Washington Post arm-chair generals scrutinize the Trump Administration writing a blank check to the Defense Department for the war in Afghanistan. The Post asks Mattis “What’s your end game?”

    James Mattis, Defense Secretary explains that he intends to run the battlespace better than the Obama Administration which used the Lyndon Johnson method of looking over the shoulder of commanders and making every troop deployment a political decision from the bowels of the White House;

    While Mattis declined to give an estimate of how many more forces he might send to Afghanistan, he told lawmakers at a Senate appropriations subcommittee hearing that he would deliver an Afghan strategy by mid-July.

    “I’ve been given some carte blanche to — to draw up a strategy or a number that’s out of step with the strategy,” Mattis said. “I think right now what we have to look at is what kind of capabilities do we bring to them because the Afghans have proven they will fight.”

    When the Obama Administration sent a surge of troops to Afghanistan, they also told the Taliban how long those troops would be there, so the Taliban just had to hunker down and wait for the expiration date. Mattis says he won’t give the Taliban that advantage;

    During Wednesday’s hearing, Mattis laid some of the blame for the current situation in Afghanistan on Obama’s timeline, noting that pulling forces at a predetermined pace only emboldened the Taliban and strained a government and military that wasn’t ready to fight without U.S. and NATO support.

    “So why would I come to you and tell you there’s some alternative now, where we put some forces back in?” Mattis asked. “We would have to change the priorities, we would have to put it in a more regional construct.”

    Mattis said that adding more forces in Afghanistan would “restore the high ground” by lending more U.S. assets to help the Afghans with air support and in turn would buy them more time to mature their forces and reduce casualties.

    “The Taliban had a good year last year, and they’re trying to have a good one this year,” Mattis said Tuesday of the anti-Afghan government militant group that has been fighting U.S.-led troops since 2001. “Right now, I believe the enemy is surging.”

    Imagine that, the Pentagon is not going to repeat failures.

  • Mattis shocked by readiness

    Mattis shocked by readiness

    Yesterday, Secretary of Defense James Mattis addressed the House Armed Services Committee and told them taht he was ‘shocked” at the state of readiness of his Department to face the threats arrayed against the US, according to AFP;

    Pointing to Obama-era budget caps known as sequestration, Mattis said limits on military spending have left troops at greater risk and blocked important new programs — even though the defense budget is already greater than that of the next seven countries combined.

    “I retired from military service three months after sequestration took effect,” Mattis, a former Marine general, told the House Armed Services Committee.

    “Four years later, I returned to the Department (of Defense), and I have been shocked by what I’ve seen about our readiness to fight… No enemy in the field has done more to harm the readiness of our military than sequestration.”

    I’m sure the Committee “tsk, tsked” their way through the hearing but the fault lies with Congress as much as it does with the Obama Administration since Congress couldn’t make the hard choices bout cuts to the budget’s domestic funding, afraid to anger voters who would lose their “piece of the pie” while defense spending risked national security. Essentially, the last eight years was spent kickig the can down the road. Now President Trump makes the tough choices for them, and still they worry about the effect at the polls.

    Committee Chairman Congressman Mac Thornberry and other Republicans bemoaned the increase as insufficient.

    “We have spent six years just getting by, asking more and more of those who serve, and putting off the choices that have to be made. We cannot keep piling missions on our service members without ensuring they have all they need to succeed,” Thornberry said.

    Although many Democrats on the committee agree, they worry where the money will come from, given the Trump administration’s pressure to cut taxes.

    Lord, please don’t let them cut the fat and glut out of the government spending.

    Mattis pointed to the war in Afghanistan, which has dragged on since late 2001 with no end in sight, as exacting a heavy price.

    Such campaigns have “exhausted our equipment faster than planned. Congress and the Department (of Defense) could not anticipate the accumulated wear and tear of years of continuous combat use,” he said.

    Lawmakers repeatedly asked Mattis for an update on Afghanistan, and about whether Trump will deploy thousands more troops to help Afghan partners reverse a stalemate against the resurgent Taliban.

    “We’ve got to do things differently,” Mattis acknowledged, noting only that any Afghanistan decision would come “soon.”

    Yeah, if Congress would get out of the way and let the generals win in Afghanistan and Syria, that would save taxpayer money. But again, Congress is worried about the beating they’d take in the polling place if the military did what it would have to do to win and end those wars. We already know that unilaterally calling a victory, without the enemy’s agreement, doesn’t work. The examples are Vietnam and Iraq.

  • DoD identifies Army casualties

    DoD identifies Army casualties

    Yesterday, we mentioned the deaths of the three soldiers who were killed in Afghanistan in a Green-on-blue attack by an Afghan soldier. The Department of Defense released their names today;

    The Department of Defense announced today the death of three soldiers who were supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel.

    They died June 10 in Peka Valley, Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan, of gunshot wounds sustained in Peka Valley, Nangarhar Province, Afghanistan. The incident is under investigation.

    The Soldiers were assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 3rd Battalion, 320th Field Artillery Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) and Company D, 1st Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, KY.

    Killed were:

    Sgt. Eric M. Houck, 25, of Baltimore, Maryland;

    Sgt. William M. Bays, 29 of Barstow, California; and

    Corporal Dillon C. Baldridge, 22 of Youngsville, North Carolina

    From New Jersey Today;

    Houck and his wife Samantha have two children, according to her Facebook profile. In a public post on the social media website, Samantha Houck called her husband a “hero” and an “angel.”

    “I promise I will do all I can for our babies, and I will make you proud!” she wrote.

    Bays leaves behind a wife, Jasmin, and three children, according to his Facebook profile.

    Baldridge was a 2012 graduate of Franklinton High School where he was a wrestler, according to the school whose unit was due to return to Fort Campbell by August. In his last public Facebook post on May 5, Baldridge shared a video showing a bird and former basketball star Shaquille O’Neal dancing with the caption: “How I feel knowing deployment is almost over.”

    “He always inspired me to be better every day,” Jessie Baldridge, his stepmother, wrote in a public Facebook post. “He was the best of all of us.”

    The Taliban claimed credit for the attack, the murderer was killed on the spot and a fourth soldier is injured.

    Thanks to LIRight for the tip.

  • US airstrike in Somalia

    Reuters reports that US aircraft struck an Al Shabbab training camp in Somalia yesterday in conjunction with ground forces supplied by the Somalia government;

    The Pentagon estimated that the strike, in response to attacks in Somalia by al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab, killed eight militants.

    The strike was the first by the United States in Somalia under new authorities granted by President Donald Trump in March and was conducted in coordination with regional partners, the Pentagon said. It was a drone strike, a U.S. official said on condition of anonymity.

    The Somalian government claims that the base was a major training camp and command/supply hub and so, the strike disrupted their ability to attack in the area.

  • New South Wales, Australia to build a prison to isolate jihadists

    Reuters reports that the free state of New South Wales, Australia plans to build a prison specifically to isolate extremists from the rest of the prison population and from each other. The prison will have room for 54 souls and will be closely monitored according to the State’s premier Gladys Berejiklian.

    There are 33 people within the New South Wales’ prison system who have been jailed for terrorist offences, the state government said.

    Australia has seen a series of “lone wolf” Islamist-inspired attacks recently, prompting a review of police tactics and the powers of state and federal authorities.

    “We’re a government taking nothing to chance, we’ll be making sure we continue to have the toughest position in the nation in relation to reducing and eliminating terrorism activity,” Berejiklian said.

    Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull last week signaled a drive to reform parole laws, including a ban on parole for violent offenders with links to militancy, following a deadly siege claimed by the Islamic State group on Monday.

    Jeez, ya know, if only we had thought of that years ago.

  • Willie Pete in Mosul

    Willie Pete in Mosul

    The handwringers at the Washington Post are concerned that we might be killing ISIS in Mosul, Iraq and Raqqa, Syria with White Phosphorous artillery rounds. Well, actually, in public they’re accusing the US and our allies of using Willy Pete in areas populated with civilians.

    For the uninitiated, white phosphorus is generally used to screen attacks or withdrawals. It burns superhot, at about 1500 degrees Fahrenheit, and doesn’t stop burning until it runs out of fuel. It can burn through an engine block and through a body. But it has a thick white smoke that can cover troop movements. The US claims that the use in Iraq and Syria was to cover civilians trying to escape the battle.

    The Post quotes human rights groups” like Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently and Human Rights Watch and a video which is supposedly taken by one of these groups. We’re told that the willie pete is detonating over populated areas. The picture at the tops of this page is from a screen shot of that video. I’m pretty sure that civilians aren’t flying ISIS flags over their homes.

    Here’s another screen shot from the video;

    That doesn’t look like a very densely populated area, either. This isn’t damage that would result from the application of white phosphorous to this particular battle space.

    Thanks to Chief Tango for the link.