Category: Crime

  • Rahm Emanuel to sue Trump Administration

    Rahm Emanuel to sue Trump Administration

    Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel announced his intention to sue the federal government because, he says, the Trump Administration is attempting to blackmail Chicago into abandoning their “sanctuary city” status, according to the Chicago Sun Times;

    Emanuel, flanked by Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson and U.S. Rep. Danny Davis, announced that Chicago will sue the Trump administration, claiming new requirements to receive federal money are unconstitutional.

    The Justice Department fired back at Emanuel, pointing out the city’s growing problem with violent crimes.

    “In 2016, more Chicagoans were murdered than in New York City and Los Angeles combined. So it’s especially tragic that the mayor is less concerned with that staggering figure than he is spending time and taxpayer money protecting criminal aliens and putting Chicago’s law enforcement at greater risk,” Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores told the Sun-Times.

    Funny how, when local government shields criminals, crime increases exponentially.

    “Chicago will not be blackmailed into changing our values, and we are and will remain a welcoming city,” Emanuel said.

    “The federal government should be working with cities to provide necessary resources to improve public safety, not concocting new schemes to reduce our crime-fighting resources,” he added.

    Yeah, that’s what grants are for – to make people/states comply with Federal guidelines. The Education Department has done that since the agency was founded under the Carter Administration. Last year, Chicago got $2.3 million – how did that reduce crime?

  • Francisco Gomez gets prison for ripping off vet

    Francisco Gomez gets prison for ripping off vet

    Mick sends a link about Francisco Gomez a 61-year-old North Carolinian who took a 92-year-old World War II veteran’s money for work he promised to do on the vet’s roof but never bothered to do.

    Police advised the victim to send a letter by certified mail return receipt requested to the defendant’s last known address, requesting the $7,000 be returned. The victim did so, but Gomez never made any attempt to return the money, nor did he ever do any work on the roof.

    He was arrested, and pleaded guilty in May for failure to felony construction fraud. On Wednesday, a circuit court judge sentenced Gomez to five years in prison, which is above the state’s recommended guidelines of three years.

    Gomez has an extensive criminal history dating back to 1995, and has a history of committing these types of offenses against the elderly.

    Scumbag POS. Five years ought to straighten at least part of him out.

  • Eric Johnson guilty

    Eric Johnson guilty

    Mick sends us a link to Fox News which reports that Eric Johnson, a former Marine corporal, was convicted in a court yesterday for the murder of Sara Mutschlechner in what Fox calls a “road rage” incident. Apparently Miss Mutschlechner was the designated driver of a group of her sorority sisters on New Years Eve when Johnson exchanged words with her and then he killed her;

    “As a trained Marine, he knew exactly what he was doing when he shot at the carload of teenagers,” prosecutors argued, according to FOX4.

    An affidavit in the case said the shooting happened when men in an SUV made sexual remarks toward Mutschlechner and a female riding with her.

    Johnson was arrested later at a Marine Corps facility in Yuma, Az. and then discharged by the Marines. The Marine Corps said Johnson was assigned to the Marine Aviation Weapons and Tactics Squadron-1. Capt. Justin Smith, a spokesman for the Marine Air Ground Task Force Training Command in California, said Johnson joined the Marines in August 2013. He said Johnson was an administrative specialist and had never been deployed.

  • The Davin McClenney story

    The Davin McClenney story

    Virginian-Pilot tells the story of career criminal 27-year-old Davin McClenney whose first documented crime was when he was a 15 years old armed robber. He used grass clippings in a baggie to lure in his victims who he then robbed with a BB gun, escaping on the handlebars of his partner’s bicycle. Since 2004 he has been in and out of jail for stealing from folks. He’s even run from the police until he got tired. Last year, he was arrested for robbing a doctor’s office at gun point;

    But last October, a judge granted bond anyway.

    Prosecutors appealed and it was revoked, then reinstated a few weeks later by a different judge.

    Initially, McClenney was required to wear a GPS monitoring bracelet, but that was dropped months later by another judge.

    Even McClenney didn’t seem to think it was a good idea.

    A Feb. 11 post on his Facebook page read: “They done (expletive) up and let me loose.” The statement was followed by several emojis: tears of joy, smirking face, and bands of cash.

    Then on June 24, four months after the ankle monitor was removed, McClenney was charged with another crime – a hold-up at a 7-Eleven near Town Center.

    At that crime scene, the clerk shot him in the neck in self-defense and paralyzed McClenny, you know, while he was out on bond from his last crime, before his next trial.

    McClenney was charged with two counts of robbery, wearing a mask in public, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and two counts of using a firearm while committing a felony.

    Despite his physical condition, the commonwealth’s attorney still plans to try him for the robberies of the doctor and the 7-Eleven.

    If he is convicted and sentenced to prison, the Virginia Department of Corrections is able to house him, department spokesman Greg Carter said in an email.

    “Currently we have 25 prisoners with some level of paralysis,” Carter wrote.

    So it took a 7-11 clerk to do what the judicial system was unable to do, put McLenney out of the armed robbery business. You should read the whole article, just to get the sense of the danger a judge was willing to unleash on his community when he cut this criminal loose.

  • Baltimore loves illegal guns

    Chief Tango sends us a link to CBS News Baltimore which reports on the Baltimore City Council meeting where two activists were arrested for disrupting the proceedings while the council discussed mandatory minimum sentences for folks caught with illegal guns. The council was trying to put an end to the 600 shootings in the last year in the city. After order was restored, the measure passed in a 5-2 vote. Yes, two council members voted in favor of illegal guns;

    Council member Brandon Scott, of the 2nd district, says he’s against the bill in any form.

    “The amendments make the bill easier to stomach, it still doesn’t change the fact that I disagree with the bill in its entirety and its principles of mandatory minimums,” he says.

    One of the staunchest supporters of the bill says he’s not a fan of the amendments, but he was willing to compromise in order to get closer to the goal.

    “I have dozens and dozens of constituents who have reached out about this, and they are frankly sick and tired of people illegally carrying guns on the street and wreaking havoc on out communities,” says Eric Costello of the 11th district.

    The mandatory one-year sentence to jail for possessing an illegal gun only applies to the second offense unless the first offense occurs concurrent with another crime. Seems like weak sauce to me, but, hey, if it gets illegal guns off the street. I do find it hard to believe that everyone is upset at jailing criminals, though.

  • Judge releases fellow who attacked officer

    Mick sends us a link to WNBC News about Kurdel Emmanuel who entered an NYPD precinct and assaulted a female officer, trying to get his grubby paws on her firearm. She successfully fought him off and he was arrested. Then he went in front of a judge;

    Emmanuel was charged with robbery and assault, and when the district attorney requested a $250,000 bail, Judge Loren Baily-Schiffman released him on his own recognizance, said the Kings County District Attorney’s Office.

    “This is a sickening display of carelessness or callousness by a judge who should be fully aware of similarity in the circumstances between this thug’s crime and the assassination of Police Officer Miosotis Familia,” said PBA President Pat Lynch.

    Officer Familia was murdered on the streets of New York by another unbalanced man just last week.

    From the New York Post;

    “Prosecutors are taking this case seriously but the judge clearly didn’t,” one source said.

    Dennis Quirk, president of the New York State Court Officers Association, declared, “This idiot should be removed from the bench.”

    Brooklyn Criminal Court Judge Loren Baily-Schiffman hung up on a Post reporter who contacted her.

    According to Fox News;

    It wasn’t clear why Baily-Schiffman was handling criminal arraignments.

    She normally hears lawsuits not criminal matters, according to NYC Office of Court Administration records.

    She is now listed as an acting Supreme Court Justice but for many years was on the bench in civil court where legal disputes involving less than $25,000 are heard.

  • Prosecutor: David Cash Freeman justified

    Last month, we mentioned David Cash Freeman, the Good Samaritan neighbor who intervened when Leland Foster attempted to murder his ex-girlfriend with a knife and tried to drown her infant twins in a bathtub. Freeman brought his gun when he heard a commotion next door and shot Foster thrice in the back to prevent the murder of the children.

    Today we learn that Pontotoc County, Oklahoma District Attorney Paul Smith announced that Freeman’s actions were ‘justifiable use of deadly force under Oklahoma Law.’;

    The woman said Foster forced his way into her home, slammed her to the ground and tried to kill her and their infant twins.

    Freeman, a neighbor, shot Foster three times after seeing him holding the infants under water in a bathtub while threatening the children’s mother with a knife.

    Smith says the shooting “was certainly necessary under these gripping circumstances.”

    So, it took more than a month for the prosecutor to arrive at that decision, but, at least it was the correct decision – we can be thankful for that much, anyway.

    From KFOR;

    “Mr. Freeman reported that even after firing two shots, he still considered the decedent to be a threat observing him to [be] armed with the knife… viewing the decedent’s evil intent expressed in his facial expression, he felt compelled to fire the third shot to attempt to get past this violent man to render aid and prevent the man from getting back up to harm anyone anymore,” the Pontotoc County District Attorney’s Office said…

  • Ft Drum soldier murders wife, state trooper

    Chief Tango sends us links to the news from Upstate New York where a Fort Drum infantryman apparently murdered his wife and then killed a responding New York State Trooper, Joel R. Davis, 36. From WWNY;

    State police said the trooper responded to several reports of shots fired during a domestic incident. He was shot once while responding to the incident at 34371 Route 46. At some point – it’s not clear when – the woman at the property, Nichole Walters, 27, was shot and killed. A second woman who lived on the property was also shot in the upper torso, but a state police spokesman said the injuries were not life threatening. The second woman was home alone at the time, but police said she lived in a shed on the property with a man and child.

    State police said the shooter put his gun down and surrendered when a back-up unit arrived. Police identified him as Justin Walters, 32, the owner of the property.

    There’s no word on the type of weapon that Walter used, or whether it was properly registered and licensed in New York State, but I’m sure we’ll hear about it since New York’s governor likes to blame the weapons rather than the shooter.

    Walters appeared in court at 4 AM today, clad only in shorts. He’s being held without bail, according to the Associated Press.