Category: Breaking News

  • Fort Richardson Soldier arrested for wife’s murder.

    Well it looks like this is not going to be a episode on Married to the Army Alaska.

    An Army specialist arrested early Thursday morning for allegedly killing his wife threatened to shoot state social workers who took his daughter into custody due to a report of child abuse, according to charging documents.

    From what I have read it does not look good. Seems like he just returned from the deployment from Afghanistan that was ended this winter. Here is the official report on the case so far.

  • Lookout, SC

    Claymore sends us a link to an article about the South Carolina government losing about 77% of the state’s residents’ Personally Identifiable Information (PII);

    “This is not a good day for South Carolina,” said Governor Nikki Haley. “South Carolina has come under attack by an international hacker.”

    State officials revealed Friday that someone in a foreign country gained access to the South Carolina Department of Revenue’s web site and a server was breached for the first time in late August.

    387,000 credit and debit card numbers and 3.6 million social security numbers, all unencrypted, have been exposed.

    Of the credit cards, the vast majority are protected by strong encryption deemed sufficient under the demanding credit card industry standards to protect the data and cardholders, DOR officials said. However, approximately 16,000 were unencrypted and exposed.

    Officials found out about the breach on October 10. On October 16, investigators uncovered two attempts to probe the system in early September, and later learned that a previous attempt was made on August 27.

    Yeah, so if the SC government had your PII on their computers, it’s probably in the hands of criminals. And since it happened weeks ago and because the government is so slow to tell folks about their failings, y’all had better buy some protection. Like I’ve said here before, ever since the first breach of the VA, I’ve had Lifelock, because by the time the government tells you that they’ve lost your information, it’s too late.

  • Baumgartner lands

    I couldn’t watch his 23-mile free-fall because I was pretty sure he was going to die because so many little things could go wrong and kill him. I’m glad he didn’t;

    Daredevil Felix Baumgartner has landed safely on earth — and in the record books — after a supersonic leap from the edge of space.

    The Austrian thrill-seeker broke the world record for the highest skydive.

    During the first 35 seconds of his leap, it is estimated Baumgartner accelerated from zero to 690 miles per hour, making him supersonic for almost a minute of the leap, which lasted nearly 10 minutes.

    So I can watch it now. Congratulations, Felix, glad you’re still among us.

  • Gunman outside Empire State Building

    ROS sends us this link from Fox News in which they report that the seemingly impossible has happened. In a city where guns are banned, one pistolero started blasting away.

    Apparently it was a white man in his twenties who was fired from his job in the building the previous day. 10 are injured and the gunman was killed by police or in custody, depending on what you want to believe from early reports. Police won’t confirm that there are two deceased victims.

    Regardless, the story of the day remains that Nanny Bloomberg’s city isn’t any safer because of his constant nagging about guns, Big Soda and breast feeding. Bend over, NYers, here it comes.

  • Officer but not a Gentleman

    I just got back on base and I see Channel Two news van with a camera crew member putting away a tripod outside the base gate. That is never a good sign in most cases and this one was not the exception. So I got home and found this.

    An Air Force major stationed at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson was arrested by Anchorage police Thursday for possession and distribution of child pornography.

    Wonderful, just the things I want to hear and it gets better.

    “During the interview with (Davis) he told us he and his wife both have their own Apple laptops and their wireless network was pass-code protected,” Estes wrote. “When asked if he knew what file sharing was (Davis) mentioned (a peer-to-peer application) and told us it’s a program used to ‘swap music. Shortly after we told him we had downloaded items from his computer he told us an attorney should be involved.”

    An examination of Davis’ computer revealed 251 deleted images of child pornography, while searches on another laptop revealed 19 deleted images and two explicit videos in the computer’s trash folder.

    The funny part was that the police used facebook to identify that the Major was on JBER and in the Air Force.

    Estes then obtained a subpoena and submitted it to GCI for information on the subscriber in question, which identified Davis’ wife as the account holder. A search for Davis on Facebook revealed that he served in the Air Force, and a query of Air Force records confirmed that he was stationed at JBER.

    So the moral of the story that a news van at the front of your base is never really a good thing, because if it was good news they would be allowed on post.

  • Weather Service ammo request was clerical error

    “We don’t need no stinkin’ ammo” says the Weather Service, according to the Washington Post;

    Due to a clerical error in the federal business vendor process, a solicitation for ammunition and targets for the NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement mistakenly identified NOAA’s National Weather Service as the requesting office. The error is being fixed and will soon appear correctly in the electronic federal bidding system. The ammunition is standard issue for many law enforcement agencies and it will be used by 63 NOAA enforcement agents in their twice annual target qualifications and training.

    So that’s about 365 rounds per agent per training and qualification session. That’s still a lot of shooting. I guess the National Weather Service would rather take out weather criminals with science than waste ammunition.

    The Post also reports that NOAA had to withdraw a $5000 request for a magician to entertain at their leadership conference last Spring. I know where they can find a parachuting clown for the price of a bottle of Old Rocking Chair.

  • Bomb threat at Walter Reed

    Chief Tango alerted us to the fact that there’s been a bomb threat at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda. DC’s 9 News reports that all appoints have been cancelled. It’s a pretty massive place, I’m sure it’ll take a while to clear it out.

    The website for Walter Reed National Military Medical Center shows that all appointments at the center “have been suspended until 13:00.”

    There are unconfirmed reports suggesting there may have been a bomb threat and an evacuation. The Daily Caller is reporting that a woman who answered the phone inside the medical center said there was a threat and another person told the Daily Caller building 19 was being evacuated.

    I hope they catch the little coward weasel fkr who called it in and terrorized the dependents and retirees who happened to be there today trying to take care of their ailments, not to mention the wounded warriors who pack the wards, and the heroes of military healthcare who are doing their best to provide the care those folks deserve.

  • Wade Michael Page; the Sikh temple shooter

    ABC News is reporting that he’s a veteran and served from 1992 to 1998, I guess we’ll have to wait to see if he was honorably discharged or not. Judging by the years, I have to guess that he was, but obviously, his status as a veteran should have nothing to do with what he did. No more than him being a 40-year-old bald white man with tattoos is an indicator of his propensity to shoot up a temple full of the most peaceful and tolerant people on the face of the Earth (you might disagree with that…but that’s your right). Some of the martyrs Sikhs revere were killed for defending the rights of other people to worship, not necessarily as Sikhs.

    Yeah, if Page killed those people for anything, it was for their appearance not for anything they’ve done – kind of the definition of a racially-motivated crime.

    The Blaze reports;

    Prior to Page’s identification, ABC News was already reporting that the man behind the attack was potentially a “white supremacist“ and a ”skinhead.” The suspect’s landlord also told the Greendale Patch that she believes the man had “just broken up with his girlfriend.”

    So, I guess 40-year-old white, bald men with tattoos should be reporting their relationship status to gun dealers when they purchase weapons. To their credit, Mark Potock and the SPLC crowd hasn’t “gone there” yet with the whole veteran thing, yet.

    ADDED: Aunty Brat sends us a link to breathless BBC which leads their story with the fact that he was a veteran;

    Wade Michael Page reportedly served in the US Army between April 1992 and October 1998, ending his career at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

    A federal official told the Associated Press news agency that Page was discharged after being reduced in rank from sergeant to specialist, although the official did not give a reason for the demotion.

    Police said on Sunday they were treating the attack as an act of domestic terrorism.

    Yes, it was terrorism, but just like the recruiting station shooting in Little Rock was, the shooting at Fort Hood, the Times Square bomber, and the little prick who wanted to blow up a bridge in Ohio. The difference is that the feds are actually calling this one terrorism.

    The news conference has been moved up to 11 AM Eastern. So we wait.

    ADDED MORE: Marginally related, our friends at The Duffel Blog who make up stuff that’s too close to reality to doubt couldn’t help but write a fictional account of the media’s scramble to pin the murder on the military;

    Right now, I’m working on pulling up his military records,” said Davis Smith, a reporter with the New York Times. “I already pulled up something that said he fired a pistol and a rifle in Army basic training. Law enforcement says he used a pistol in the shooting, so it’s quite obvious that the military created this monster.”

    Because it’s satire.