Category: Breaking News

  • Million Muslim March exceeds expectations

    Well, not hardly. This photo Preston sends us from a Twitter feed.

    Million Muslims March

    FoxDC publishes this photo;

    Million Muslims march uniformed dude

    Now, I guess that an argument could be made that this isn’t a political event per se so the dude could make a speech in uniform, but I’m pretty sure someone riding their motorcycle in the other gathering today in uniform would be in trouble. Where’s your cover, dude and get a hair cut.

  • “Two Million Bikers” arrive in DC

    The Washington Times reports that the “Two Million Bikers” arrived in DC this morning despite the fact that the US Park Service had denied their permit;

    The 2 Million Bikers to DC ride might have fallen short of 2 million strong, but the numbers were impressive. A line of shining chrome and steel bikes stretched about a third of a mile from the starting point at the Harley Davidson of Washington store just outside the District in Prince George’s County.

    The bikers began departing from the store at about 10:30 in staggered groups of 50, stopped for traffic lights and taking an hour or so to get on the road.

    They were inspired to their journey by the “Million Muslim March” in the city today which is supposed to be protesting the treatment of Muslims since 9-11, while not attributing the attacks of 9-11 on radical jihadists. From the Huffington Post;

    It also appears, however, that trutherism will still play a significant role; the DC Area 9/11 Truth Movement and Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth Movement are currently listed as partners.

    From Fox12 in Oregon;

    However, they and anyone else driving in Washington should expect gridlock. The National Park Service denied the 2 Million Bikers’ application for a permit, so the bikers will not have any route blocked off for them.

    A representative for the park service cited a lack of resources and possible disruption as the reasons for denying the permit, which was received in late August.

    Yeah, a few thousand bikers riding through the District without a route blocked off, should be much easier to deal with, huh?

  • Ariel Castro completes life sentence in record time

    I know we didn’t follow the story on the blog, but we did watch it on the news, when Ariel Castro was convicted of kidnapping and rape in Ohio and sentenced to life in prison. Well, he finished his sentence in record time according to a Columbus Dispatch article sent to us by Preston;

    Spokeswoman JoEllen Smith said the 53-year-old Castro was found hanging in his cell around 9:20 p.m. at the Correctional Reception Center in Orient.

    Prison medical staff performed CPR before Castro was transported to the Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University, where he was pronounced dead at 10:52 p.m.

    Castro had been transferred to the Orient facility in early August from the Lorain Correctional Institution.

    He was housed in protective custody at Orient, which means he was in a cell by himself and was checked on every 30 minutes at staggered intervals, Smith said.

    “A thorough review of this incident is underway,” Smith said in a statement last night.

    Yeah, I think they should thoroughly investigate the case, too, then they can figure out how to help others of equal depravity hurry along their life sentences.

  • Bales sentenced; life without parole

    Big week for the military justice system, huh? According to the Washington Post, SSG Robert Bales was sentenced this morning, too;

    Bales did not recount specifics of the horrors in court when he testified Thursday or offer an explanation for the violence, but he described the killings as an “act of cowardice, behind a mask of fear, bulls— and bravado.”

    “I’m truly, truly sorry to those people whose families got taken away,” he said in a mostly steady voice during questions from one of his lawyers. “I can’t comprehend their loss. I think about it every time I look at my kids.”

    Of course, I figure that the perpetually outraged will find fault with the sentence, but the judge gave the harshest punishment he could under the circumstances.

    Thanks to Chip for the link.

  • Hasan guilty on all counts

    Of course, that’s not exactly shocking, it is encouraging. From CNN;

    A military jury has convicted Army Maj. Nidal Hasan of 13 counts of murder and 32 counts of attempted murder in a November 5, 2009, shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas, making it possible for the death penalty to be considered as a possible punishment.

    So, at least we got this far. Now we can begin the theater of sentencing. Of course, I can name DUI trials that have taken longer to get underway than this one, like Phil Monkress’.

  • GHW Bush and Patrick

    GHBush & Patrick

    Edward, a Secret Service guy, sent us this link to the story of former President GHW Bush who shaved his head in support of Patrick who was diagnosed with Leukemia earlier this year. I guess Patrick’s dad is a member of the former President’s protective detail. That inspired the entire protective detail to shave their heads, too, to show their support for the little guy.

    GHWBush & patrick & Secret Service Detail

    According to the link above, Patrick’s prognosis is good, but his treatment will last a long time. So good job, guys, send our best to Patrick when you see him again.

  • Zimmerman emerges from hiding to help rescue family

    So this story from ABC about that sh1tbag who has a bounty on his head;

    Zimmerman was one of two men who came to the aid of a family of four — two parents and two children — trapped inside a blue Ford Explorer SUV that had rolled over after traveling off the highway in Sanford, Fla. at approximately 5:45 p.m. Thursday, the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.

    He’s not fooling anyone. Thanks to Preston for the link.

  • Zimmerman not guilty

    I guess at about 10pm last night, the six jurors, whose identities are being kept secret, decided that George Zimmerman is not guilty of all of the charges. So I guess there was room for justice in the court room. Of course, it was public opinion that got Zimmerman arrested, it took the prosecution almost two months to manufacture charges against him. From ABC News;

    The Martin family lawyer, Ben Crump, said Trayvon Martin would go down “in the annals of history next to Medgar Evers and Emmett Till as symbols of the fight for equal justice for all.”

    He added, “All America needs to dig deep to figure out how we learn from this tragedy and make sure it’s not repeated.”

    The prosecutors were disappointed with the verdict.

    Angela Corey, in a news conference following the verdict, said the state arrested Zimmerman because “We truly believe the mindset of George Zimmerman and the words that he used and that he was out doing what he was doing fit the bill for second degree murder.”

    Prosecutor John Guy said during his rebuttal at the end of the trial that Zimmerman “had hate in his heart” when he followed Martin the night of the fatal confrontation. As evidence he quote Zimmerman telling a police dispatcher that “these a**holes always get away” and muttering “f***king punks.”

    Talk about hyperbole. Fox News is broadcasting images of riots in Oakland. Yeah, that’ll fix things. But others are reporting that’s untrue. Twitchy has photos.

    Casey Porter was at the scene of the trial the other day and got this video of a woman with a fake Jamaican accent who calls herself “Big Momma Jones”;

    More photos from Casey;

    IMG_3512

    IMG_3531

    IMG_3532

    IMG_3535