Author: thebesig

  • Democratic Governor’s Veto of Voter ID Law Overridden

    MSN: Governor Roy Cooper of North Carolina. 

    Democrats like to argue that “voter ID” discriminates against minorities. This argument does not pass the basic common-sense test. Minorities, like everybody else, need ID cards (driver’s license) in order to drive. They need ID cards in order to purchase alcohol (qualifying age).

    The assumption, that minorities have a hard time getting ID cards, paints minorities as being unable to solve normal everyday problems.

    A trip to the DMV would show both Caucasian and minority customers. Minorities are also able to get ID cards for use at recreation centers. Student ID? No problem. Minorities don’t have problems getting on flights, they have to show an ID card to get through TSA.

    Go to the passport office, or somewhere that helps put together passport applications, and you’ll see all races and both genders represented.

    In North Carolina, the Republican-led legislator sent a bill to the Governor’s desk. This was a bill that would require showing a valid ID card prior to voting. The Governor, a Democrat, vetoed the bill. The Republican-led Legislature successfully overrode the veto.

    From MSN.com:

    Republicans steered a photo voter ID question onto the November ballot as a constitutional amendment, and 55 percent of voters approved it.

    Lawmakers followed up with a bill to implement the amendment. Cooper vetoed the bill last week. During a news conference Tuesday, he said the Legislature should have waited until next session to talk about voter ID. The Legislature will have more Democrats next year, and Republicans will no longer have veto-proof majorities in the House and Senate.

    The House vote followed a heated debate in which Republicans criticized Cooper for his veto and Democrats recounted the state’s history of racism, from slavery to the present.

    State Rep. David Lewis, a Harnett County Republican, said Cooper insulted voters who approved photo ID. Lewis said he worked hard to make it easy for voters to comply with a new law.

    The law counts as acceptable IDs driver licenses, passports, military and veteran IDs, tribal enrollment cards, college IDs, state ID cards issued to nondrivers, state and municipal employee IDs, and a new type of ID issued by local boards of election.

    People who don’t have the required ID would be able to cast provisional ballots after signing an affidavit at the polls explaining why they do not have one.

    You can read more here.

  • Mitchell O’Brien’s Christmas just got worse

    Photo from Baxter Country Sheriff

    Remember the Fort Riley Soldier that drove all the way to Baxter Country, Arkansas, to meet up with a 16-year-old? Mitchell O’Brien intended to meet a teen in a parking lot by a business. He did his “recon”, driving around twice and checking that the place was “secure”, then did another check on foot, before going to the “rendezvous point”.

    When he got there, he met with a deputy instead of his intended fling. He also met his new destiny, both in the near and far term. We talked about the ramifications he faced for that antic.

    Well, on top of the ramifications related to his Army career, as well as to how his family will view him, he has car repair costs to add to the mix.

    Another person, who had his car impounded, used Mitchell O’Brien’s car as a battering ram in order knock the lot door open. Then, he drove his own car out of the impound lot.

    From KTLO:

    A Boone County man, Robert Lambert of Lead Hill, played a part in making O’Brien’s visit to the Twin Lakes Area even worse. Lambert was arrested Dec. 14th by Mountain Home Police at Walmart and placed in the Baxter County Detention Center. The vehicle he was driving was impounded.

    When he was released Sunday, Lambert went to the impound lot to find his vehicle, but discovered the lot was closed and secured. Lambert was captured on video surveillance cameras as he crawled under the fence and gained access to another vehicle and proceeded to ram the gate open. He then went to his own vehicle and drove it off the lot.

    The vehicle he used as a battering ram belonged to O’Brien, who had driven it from Kansas to Mountain Home to allegedly meet the underage female with whom he had been corresponding on social media.

    It was estimated Lambert caused about $10,000 damage to O’Brien’s vehicle and property at the impound lot.

    You can read more here, as well as in the previous article.

    Thanks to OAE CPO USN Ret for the link.

     

  • Judge Orders the Un-Deportation of People With Bogus Asylum Claims

    Judge Emmet G. Sullivan, photo from uscourts.gov.

    Judge Emmet G. Sullivan, the same guy that hammered Michael Flynn, added a roadblock to the the Trump Administration’s efforts to turn away bogus asylum seekers. The judge opined that Congress, not the president, determines the standards required for asylum… As if President Trump’s legal team didn’t review the policy before it was implemented. This has the appearance of judicial activism.

    From The Washington Times:

    Judge Emmet G. Sullivan — who a day earlier had excoriated former Trump National Security Adviser Michael Flynn — ordered the government to allow migrants with iffy claims to be given a full chance to make their case for asylum.

    And he ordered the U.S. to un-deport plaintiffs in the case who already had been ousted under the new policy, saying they deserve to be brought back and allowed to claim asylum.

    “Because it is the will of Congress — not the whims of the executive — that determines the standard for expedited removal, the court finds that those policies are unlawful,” Judge Sullivan wrote.

    His decision overturns a move by former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who had tried to block asylum claims of migrants who said they faced gang violence or domestic abuse back home.

    Mr. Sessions had argued that while traumatic, those reasons strayed far from the political or religious persecution by governments that traditionally made someone eligible for asylum.

    Also within the article, the White House’s response:

    “Today’s ruling is only the latest example of judicial activism that encourages migrants to take dangerous risks; empowers criminal organizations that spread turmoil in our hemisphere; and undermines the laws, borders, Constitution, and sovereignty of the United States,” – Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders

    You can read more here.

  • Veteran Starts GoFundMe for Wall, Donations Flooding in

    Deny President Trump funding for the wall, frustrate the GOP’s base against their leadership in the process, get many people who’ll vote Democrat once they become citizens, and get the numbers needed to “wreck” the country thus making socialist policies more ideal.

    Would we even need a GoFundMe effort if the vast majority of illegal immigrants were political conservatives, and voted that way in general elections once they become citizens?

    A veteran has stepped up and started a GoFundMe page in order to raise funding for the wall. As of this posting, over 6 million has been raised. The fundraising effort began in December 16, 2018.

    From GoFundMe:

    Too many Americans have been murdered by illegal aliens and too many illegals are taking advantage of the United States taxpayers with no means of ever contributing to our society.

    I have grandparents who immigrated to America legally, they did it the correct way and it’s time we uphold our laws, and get this wall BUILT! It’s up to Americans to help out and pitch in to get this project rolling.

    “If the 63 million people who voted for Trump each pledge $80, we can build the wall.” That equates to roughly 5 Billion Dollars, even if we get half, that’s half the wall. We can do this.

    Democrats are going to stall this project by every means possible and play political games to ensure President Trump doesn’t get his victor. They’d rather see President Trump fail, than see America succeed. However, if we can fund a large portion of this wall, it will jumpstart things and will be less money Trump has to secure from our politicians.

    Thanks to LC for the link. You can read more here.

     

  • Woman Plans to Use Gun Buy Back Cash to Buy Bigger Gun

    Reason.com. This woman plans to buy a bigger gun with gun buy back cash.

    The “gun buy back” program. Police department purchases weapons from people willing to part with their weapons for cash. In theory, criminals and law-abiding citizens alike would turn their weapons in for cash. With “less weapons on the street”, the chances of gun violence goes down.

    But, how many criminals, not bashful about using a gun in the commission of a crime, would turn their guns in for cash? Would enough of them turn their weapons in, for cash, in order for the city’s investment to have an impact against crime?

    How about the people gaming the system? From Reason.com:

    The program reportedly cost the city $250,000, but there is little evidence that buyback programs are effective in reducing violence, or even in reducing the number of firearms in circulation–as one woman ably demonstrated.

    Kathleen Cairns, a WBFF Baltimore journalist, tweeted a picture of a woman who was surrendering a 9mm. She hoped to use the money from the program to buy an even bigger gun.

    There are other ways to game the system as well. For example, the city is offering $25 for every “hi-capacity” magazine turned in. Some digging from Daniel J. Mitchell of the Foundation for Economic Education (FEE) discovered that such a “hi-capacity” magazine can be purchased online for about $12. The $13 in profit may not seem like much money to some, but it can be the difference between paying for food, rent, a bill, or even a Christmas gift.

    You can read more at Reason.com.

  • Midweek Open Thread

    Juno Image – Jupiter

    Happy Hump-day TAH! Halfway through the week before Christmas! You guys decide the topics for this thread.

    In the meantime, the above photo is from NASA’s Juno mission, capturing a portion of Jupiter’s cloud cover…. A natural work of Art. You could look at more of their photos here.

    If you guys haven’t heard the sounds of Mars yet, you could listen to the actual video with earphones. Here’s a video of the sounds of Mars, amplified:

  • Blast From The Past — Thomas Reister is not a combat wounded veteran

    This week’s blast from the past “winner” is Thomas Reister. Jonn’s post on him was simple compared to the other posts on phonies. Thomas came with a service dog, he wore paraphernalia identifying him as a Gulf War Veteran, and he sported awards and decorations he did not earn.

    For some reason, the organization that gave him the service dog claimed that he had suffered things that only other wounded warriors would understand. A review of Thomas Reister’s official records showed that he left active duty before the Gulf War.

    Additionally, it did not show him as earning any warfare specialist badge that would warrant him wearing one of the badges on his cap.

    This is one of the posts that would’ve garnered the average amounts of responses that a stolen valor post would’ve received. However, Thomas Reister helped make this one of the stolen valor posts that garnered well above the average number of responses.

    It didn’t take long for him to deploy his sock puppets to the thread to try to dazzle us with his baloney.

    He jumped onto the post about him and kept arguing. Naturally, you guys jumped in and “ate him alive”. His persistence with trying to get us to respect him resulted in the response count to shoot up to 820.

    Too many sock puppet posts to quote here, so I’ll highlight three of them.

    Originally posted by “DAVE” (Sock Puppet):

    WELL WELL WELL LOOKS LIKE MY OLD FREIND TOMMYS PICTCHER AND STORY IS OFF UR DUMB INTERNET SITE ;FOR LOOSERS. HAH HAH HAH WHO GOT THE LAST LAUGH LOOKS LIKE OLD THOMAS REISTER WAR HERO VIETNAM DESERT STORM MEDAL OF HONOR WINNER WAR HERO VETEREN. U ASS WHOLES PICKED THE WRONG MAN TO MESS WITH AND TELL LIES!!!!

    Notice the grandiose claims he makes in that first quote.

    He called us losers; however, Thomas Reister was the one that kept getting kicked out. He’s also the one that spent time in a homeless shelter. His attitude, as displayed on the post about him, was a common denominator for these experiences.

    He deployed multiple sock puppets to make it sound like he had some buddies defending him. But, with the sock puppets constantly saying, “ASS WHOLE”, constantly utilizing all capitalized words, and constantly displaying similar patterns, we knew better.

    Originally posted by “TOM” (Sock Puppet):

    U LIKE TO TRY IT ASS WHOLE ID KICK UR A** SO HARD U CAN TASTE UR OWN SH*T. IF U FOUND TOMMY HED WHUP UR ASS AROUND THE BLOCK.

    He accused us of being Internet tough guys. However, looking at how he described us in his responses, it was obvious that he was projecting his traits onto us. All one had to do was to read what he said about us to see what kind of person he actually was.

    The following quote laments the “disrespect” that he received, the “lies” that he was subjected to, and also laments that he was “cheated on”. Judging by the attitude that he showed on that thread, there’s a good chance that his controlling, combative, sensitive nature drove his responses to other people’s reactions to him… As well as his responses to us.

    He didn’t realize that what he was seeing, in his description in the below quote, was a result of those around him reacting to his toxic behavior:

    Originally posted by “TOM” (Sock Puppet):

    HE DID WORK HE WORKED HIS A** OFF FOR HERE AND ALL HE GOT IN RETURN WAS DISRESPECT AND CHEATED ON AND LIES JUST LIKE THE LIES NOW SOME LEOPERDS DONT CHANGE THEIR STRIPES.

    You should mosey over to the other thread to read the hilarious exchange that followed.

    Here’s what Jonn said in the original post:

    Thomas Reister (1)
    Someone sent us their work on this Thomas Magnum Reister fellow. He also goes by the name Thomas Riester. He’s in San Antonio, Texas, and he somehow convinced Service Dog Express to give him a service dog named “Connor”. This post used to quote from an article that the dog people wrote in which they claimed that Reister suffered “unimaginable things that only other Wounded Warriors could comprehend”. When we highlighted that, the dog people decided that they’d take the blame for it and they said that Thomas hadn’t told them that he was a combat veteran, that they made it up for their organization. OK.

    moore_reister_1

    But they haven’t been able to explain how he wears this fugly Desert Storm Veteran cap everywhere, you know, seein’s how he’s not a veteran of Desert Storm;

    20140131_153638
    20160902_185801

    He’s been homeless at times since he left the Navy and he blames PTSD for his bad behavior, but I don’t know how much PTSD he has or which “unimaginable things that only other Wounded Warriors could comprehend” he’s seen. He spent three years in the US Navy from 1985 to 1988 (he left the service more than two years before Desert Storm) and another nine years in the Navy Reserves. He has no awards for any deployments to combat;

    Thomas Riester FOIA
    Thomas Riester Assignments2a

    Thomas Riester Training1

    The way I understand it, he does have some disabilities in regards to his legs and knees and he’s being treated by the VA, but those are not service-connected injuries.

  • Fort Riley Soldier Attempts to Meet 16-Year-Old, Gets Charged

    Photo from Baxter Country Sheriff

    An active duty Soldier exchanged messages with a 16-year-old. Included among the messages was a request for sexually explicit photos. He made plans to meet her, then carried those plans out. However, when he got to the location he was expecting to meet her at, he met a deputy instead.

    From Baxter County Sheriff:

    A Sheriff’s Deputy set up surveillance at the location. At approximately 12:47 AM, he observed a vehicle drive past the area twice, then pull in and park. After parking, the man sent a text message to the girl stating he was close by. The man then walked from his car along Highway 5 South past the girl’s house, then to the meeting location. The man went behind the building. The deputy then approached and made contact with the man, who was identified as 31 year old ANDREW MITCHELL O’BRIEN of Junction City, Kansas. After a brief exchange, ANDREW O’BRIEN was arrested and taken into custody. His vehicle was then searched. Deputies found handcuffs, vodka, condoms in the vehicle, as well as two cell phones believed to have been used in commission of the crimes. All of these were seized and taken into evidence.

    If this guy is infantry, and given his rank, he may have been a squad leader. He’s not junior enlisted. He also may have more than 10 years in the military. Fort Riley’s Military Police has a detainer on him.

    He’s going to show up in circuit court on December 20, 2018. If the Judge releases him, it won’t be long before the MP’s talk to him. His future isn’t looking bright. This won’t be a Christmas season that Andrew O’Brien will want to remember.

    You can read more here.

    Thanks to OAE CPO USN Ret for the link.