Author: AW1Ed

  • Judge Dismisses Stormy Daniels’ Defamation Lawsuit Against Trump

    stormy
    Legal Insurrection reports on Monday, a federal judge dismissed Stormy Daniels’s defamation lawsuit against President Trump. When Trump suggested the porn actress lied about being told to keep quiet about their alleged relationship, Daniels then claimed Trump defamed her.

    Not only was the complaint dismissed, but Daniels was ordered to pay Trump’s legal fees.

    Fox News tweets:

    JUST IN: A judge has dismissed a defamation lawsuit brought by Stormy Daniels against President Trump, rules Daniels is liable for the president’s attorney’s fees.

    And the WaPo chimes in:

    A federal judge on Monday dismissed a lawsuit from adult film actress Stormy Daniels that claimed President Trump defamed her when he suggested she had lied about being threatened to keep quiet about their alleged relationship.

    Federal District Judge S. James Otero in Los Angeles had indicated during a late September hearing that he was skeptical of Daniels’s claim on First Amendment grounds. The ruling ordered Daniels, whose given name is Stephanie Clifford, to pay Trump’s legal fees.

    Trump attorney Charles Harder cheered Otero’s decision and said the amount of legal fees owed would be determined later.

    “No amount of spin or commentary by Stormy Daniels or her lawyer, Mr. Avenatti, can truthfully characterize today’s ruling in any way other than total victory for President Trump and total defeat for Stormy Daniels,” Harder said in an emailed statement.

    That makes yet another embarrassing loss for the creepy porn lawyer Michael Avenatti, who was most recently denied an audience with the Senate Judiciary Committee. And it places Trump in the nearly unheard of situation where a hooker pays the John.

  • Would-be looter killed trying to steal law enforcement vehicle

    panama city hurricane michaelHurricane Michael: Devastation in Panama City, Florida

    Fox News is reporting a man trying to steal a law enforcement vehicle was shot and killed last week, hours after Hurricane Michael roared ashore in the Florida Panhandle.

    The shooting unfolded Thursday night in hard-hit Panama City, a little more than 24 hours after Michael made landfall as a Category 4 storm, WEAR-TV reported. Witness Landon Swett told the station he saw the man approach the vehicle from across the street.

    “He yelled at me a little bit and said, ‘Oh, I’m looting.’ And he opened the door to the police officer’s SUV with the lights going. Got in it, shut the door,” said Swett, who added that he gathered his family and turned to go inside his house.

    “As I’m crossing the doorway, I look back, I saw the officer at the passenger side, I don’t believe the door was open yet,” Sweet said. “Then I got about three more feet inside, and I heard the shot.”

    A Florida Highway Patrol spokesman stated that the Florida State Fire Marshals were involved in the shooting, and added that the Florida Department of Law Enforcement was investigating the incident.

    Not much to investigate. Darwin grins.

  • Gore: ‘We Have a Global Emergency’

    old woodenhead

    OK, the actual title is, “Gore: Jet Stream ‘Getting Loopier and Wavier,’ So ‘We Have a Global Emergency’”

    Too easy. The only thing loopier and “wavier” which doesn’t mean what he thinks it means, is Gore himself and his ridiculous declarations about the weather.

    Gore was parroting this week’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report in which 91 authors and editors from 40 countries concluded there’s currently a 12-year window to make “far-reaching and unprecedented changes” to avert dramatic effects of global warming. Exactly who these authors and editors are, and what qualifications they posses, was left unsaid.

    Gore told PBS in an interview aired today that “the earmarks of this latest storm… are worth paying attention to.”

    “Hurricane Michael intensified as it reached the coast. And that’s something relatively new,” he said. “And the reason for it is, the ocean waters are much warmer than normal, so it’s not getting cold waters churned up to weaken the storm. It just keeps on getting stronger.”

    Its called the hurricane season for a reason- conditions are ripe for the formation of these super storms from June to November, just like every other year since the beginning of weather watching. The ocean waters have been warming all summer, and won’t start to cool for another month or so.

    “Even without hurricanes, we get these so-called rain bombs that just devastate the places where it falls,” he said. “…Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Harvey just stayed in place for days and days and days. That’s something new too.”

    Try again. Storms react to local conditions, and one stalling out is neither new nor unusual.

    “And it’s because we’re beginning to see the disruption of wind currents, along with ocean currents. And so the Northern Hemisphere jet stream that normally moves these storms out to the east is getting loopier and wavier and sometimes disorganized. So this is really serious stuff. We have a global emergency. And you use a phrase like that, and some people immediately say, OK, calm down, that it can’t be that bad. But it is.”

    What could possibly save us from this dire emergency?

    The IPCC report said that to keep warming at 1.5°C global net emissions of carbon dioxide would need to fall by 45 percent by 2030 and be “net zero” by 2050. Guterres said “billions of trees” must be planted and coal phased out by 2050.

    Carbon credits for sale, cheap! Wonder if anyone has thought through the effects of “net zero” emissions of a naturally occurring compound necessary for the survival of all the plant life on the planet?

    Yeah, me neither. This drivel is brought to us by PJ Media

  • Hillary Clinton loses security clearance

    Hillary

    The Washington Times reports that Hillary Clinton, also known as Felonia McPantsuit or Das Hildebeast, has lost her security clearance in the wake of the scandal over her handling of secret information on her email server, the Senate Judiciary Committee revealed Friday.

    Committee Chairman Charles E. Grassley also revealed top Clinton aide Cheryl Mills and four others no longer have clearance.

    Mrs. Clinton’s clearance expired at the end of August. The others lost their access privileges in September.

    The State Department, in a letter to Mr. Grassley, had said Mrs. Clinton and her aides retained clearance in order to conduct research after she left office.

    The names of the four additional aides besides Ms. Mills were redacted from the State Department letter that the committee released.

    Well that only took what, three years? Had it been any who post or comment here with a clearance, well, you know. Clearance stripped in about 30 seconds and frog-marched to the Special Handling Unit in a Federal pen at the ass-end of Nowhere, North Dakota.

  • No rifle, no problem — soldier single-handedly killed dozens of enemies

    moh
    Military Times brings us this week’s Valor Friday

    Benjamin Wilson was in Hawaii when the Japanese unleashed their infamous attack on Pearl Harbor during the morning hours of Dec. 7, 1941.

    The Washington state native had enlisted in the Army as an infantryman only a year before the attack and found himself stationed at Oahu’s Schofield Barracks, watching as Japanese planes devastated the unsuspecting naval base.

    Despite the timing of his enlistment, however, Wilson would miss combat entirely during World War II, attending Officer Candidate School in 1942 and getting subsequently assigned to stateside training roles despite multiple requests by the young officer to lead men into combat.

    Ben WilsonBenjamin Wilson received both the Medal of Honor and Distinguished Service Cross for actions that took place within a week of each other. (Army)

    At the war’s conclusion, Wilson would go back to Washington to work in a lumbar mill, but the life didn’t agree with him, and the desire to serve called Wilson back to the Army.

    Because the service was drawing down its officer ranks, Wilson signed back up as a private, but quickly rose through the ranks due to his previous experience.

    It didn’t take long before he found himself as a first sergeant on the front lines of the Korean War, where he would become a legend among his men.

    In June 1951, the men from I Company, 3rd Battalion, 31st Infantry Regiment were tasked with taking the largest hill overlooking the Hwachon Reservoir in what is now the northeastern region of South Korea. The hill would later become known as “Hell Hill.”

    A higher ranking soldier, Wilson could have easily directed the charge up the hill from a safer position, but after missing combat in WWII, he was practically salivating for battle.

    Wilson’s men quickly became pinned down by heavy machine gun fire as they made their way up the hill. Seemingly unfazed, the incensed first sergeant charged one of the machine gun bunkers and killed all four of its occupants with his rifle and grenades.

    He then rallied his men for a bayonet charge of the entrenched Chinese soldiers, an assault that killed 27. But as more men caught up and rejoined the forward line following the charge, the enemy launched a counterattack to retake the position.

    Sensing his men could be overrun, Wilson left cover and took off on a one-man charge across open ground against the oncoming enemy, killing seven and wounding two more as the rest scattered.

    With his men now organized, Wilson led another assault that reached within 15 yards of the objective before a wave of enemy fire stonewalled the advance.

    Wilson was wounded in the advance, but remained to provide cover fire after ordering his men to withdraw from the vulnerable position.

    When the company’s commanding officer and another platoon leader were hit by enemy fire, Wilson charged — alone once again — on the enemy trenches, killing three with his rifle before it was wrested from his hands in fierce hand-to-hand combat.

    Without hesitation, Wilson grabbed his entrenching tool and beat four more Chinese soldiers to death.

    His mad scramble provided the time necessary for his unit to arrange an orderly withdrawal, during which time Wilson was wounded once again. Despite his mounting injuries, he continued to provide cover fire as his men moved down the hill.

    Wilson would go on to receive the Medal of Honor for his herculean feats that day, but his story doesn’t end there.

    With his men safely evacuated, the injured Wilson finally vacated his forward position when he was carried down the hill on a stretcher by two soldiers. Half way down the hill, the soldiers set Wilson down so he could get patched up and rest.

    Rest evidently didn’t go over well with Wilson.

    Without saying a word, he ditched the stretcher and quietly made his way back up the hill to rejoin the most forward detachment, where only days later, he’d once again engage in ferocious combat.

    With his men pinned down once more while trying to take a separate hill, Wilson, with fresh wounds, again charged the enemy emplacements alone and personally repelled a counterattack over open terrain, killing a total of nine enemies and sending the rest into retreat.

    Only when his days-old wounds reopened did Wilson finally acquiesce to requests by his men to leave the battlefield and receive medical care.

    Once again, he was recommended for the Medal of Honor, but having already been put in for one for actions just days before, he received the Distinguished Service Cross instead.

    In the end, the man who regretted missing combat in World War II despite being present for the conflict’s opening shots retired from the Army a combat-hardened major in 1960 — he was commissioned once again upon returning to the U.S. from Korea.

    He passed away in 1988 at the age of 66.

    Where do we get such men? Fair winds and following seas, Major Wilson.

    (a little late this week, apologies)

  • Space crew survives plunge to Earth after Russian rocket fails

    russian launch

    October 11, 2018

    By Shamil Zhumatov

    BAIKONUR COSMODROME, Kazakhstan (Reuters) – The two-man U.S.-Russian crew of a Soyuz spacecraft en route to the International Space Station was forced to make a dramatic emergency landing in Kazakhstan on Thursday when their rocket failed in mid-air.

    U.S. astronaut Nick Hague and Russian cosmonaut Alexei Ovchinin landed safely without harm and rescue crews who raced to locate them on the Kazakh steppe quickly linked up with them, NASA, the U.S. space agency, and Russia’s Roscosmos said.

    Seems the second stage engine failed to ignite upon first stage separation. The Soyuz capsule carrying the two men then separated from the malfunctioning rocket and made what NASA called a “steep ballistic descent” to Earth. The crew experienced loads of up to 7Gs on the descent.

    Russian recovery crews dispatched from Baikonur aboard helicopters reached Ovchinin and Hague by radio before arriving at the landing site and reported both crew members were in good shape. Photographs later were posted by the Russian space agency Roscosmos, showing both men relaxing in Dzhezkazgan, chatting with support personnel.

    It was not immediately known what might have gone wrong with the Soyuz FG booster, but Dmitri Rogozin, director general of Roscosmos, said a State Commission would investigate the mishap, adding in a tweet “the Soyuz MS emergency rescue system worked. The crew is saved.

    The failure is a setback for the Russian space program, and the latest in a string of mishaps. Time for SpaceX to step up to the next level, and provide manned missions to the ISS.

    The entire article may be viewed Here.

  • Nikki Haley’s letter of resignation to President Trump

    nikki

    US Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, surprised the nation with her intention to step down from that position and return to her South Carolina home yesterday.

    Haley told reporters she will not run for office in 2020 and instead campaign for the president, in an attempt to quash speculation that she might chart her own political course challenging him.

    “I will say this for all of you that are going to ask about 2020 — no, I am not running for 2020,” the ambassador told reporters. “I can promise you what I will be doing is campaigning for this one. So I look forward to supporting the president in the next election.”

    Her letter:

    October 3, 2018

    Dear Mr. President: It has been an immense honor to serve our country in your Administration. I cannot thank you enough for giving me this opportunity.

    You will recall that when you offered me the position of United States Ambassador to the United Nations in November 2016, I accepted the offer based on some conditions. Those conditions included serving in your Cabinet and on the National Security Council and being free to speak my mind on the issues of the day. You made those commitments and you have absolutely kept them all. For that too, I will always be grateful.

    We achieved great successes at the UN. We passed the toughest sanctions against any country in a generation, pressuring North Korea toward denuclearization. We passed an arms embargo on South Sudan that will help reduce violence and hopefully bring peace to that troubled country. We stood up for our ally Israel and began to roll back the UN’s relentless bias against her. We reformed UN operations and saved over $1.3 billion. We spoke out resolutely against dictatorships in Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba, and yes, Russia. Through it all, we stood strong for American values and interests, always placing America first. I am proud of our record.

    As a strong supporter of term limits, I have long believed that rotation in office benefits the public. Between the UN Ambassadorship and serving in the South Carolina Governorship and General Assembly, I have been in public office for fourteen straight years. As a businessman, I expect you will appreciate my sense that returning from government to the private sector is not a step down but a step up.

    Accordingly, I am resigning my position. To give you time to select a replacement, and to give the Senate time to consider your selection, I am prepared to continue to serve until January 2019.

    At that point, I will once again become a private citizen. I expect to continue to speak out from time to time on important public policy matters, but I will surely not be a candidate for any office in 2020. As a private citizen, I look forward to supporting your re-election as President, and supporting the policies that will continue to move our great country toward even greater heights.

    With best wishes and deep gratitude,

    Nikki Haley

    A class act all the way, she will be greatly missed. Right up until we see a Pense / Haley ticket in 2024.

    This article may be viewed at Fox News