Pentagon to change security plans because of Chattanooga terrorist attack

The Associated Press reports that Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter announced that the Department of Defense will alter some of it’s security procedures for bases across the country in response to the attack on a recruiting station and a Reserve Training Center in Chattanooga, Tennessee last year;

Carter…said the military is clarifying its rules about when military personnel can carry weapons at recruiting centers and larger installations.

He discussed the steps during a change of command ceremony for the U.S. Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command in Colorado.

The goal of the warning system is to notify personnel of a threat within a 20-mile radius in 10 minutes or less, Carter said. He gave no other details.

The Defense Department will spend an extra $100 million over two years on protecting personnel in response to the July 2015 shootings in Tennessee, he said.

Of course, the “warning system” can’t be activated until shots have been fired at military personnel, so the imperative, to me, would be to arm military personnel for their own protection.

[Carter] said Friday the rules are being clarified “so that members who are appropriately trained and authorized by the commander of the installation can be armed, are armed right now.”

So, the Pentagon is pushing the responsibility for next terrorist attack, the next death of a member of the military, down to local commanders rather than the Pentagon making the tough decision. But, then that’s what a bloated bureaucracy does.

Comments

26 responses to “Pentagon to change security plans because of Chattanooga terrorist attack”

  1. ex-OS2

    And it took them a year to come up with this plan? Pass the buck….

    1. The Other Whitey

      Ever heard of NIMS? DHS took ICS (Incident Command System) that we’ve used in California and other western states for decades (BLM and the Forest Service also used it) and works very well and gave it to a subsidized think tank. Two years and $20 million taxpayer dollars later, they rolled out the “new, improved” National Incident Management System…that’s just ICS with a new name and different titles applied to some of the staff positions that still do the exact same jobs. Oh, yeah, and they also came up with two new powerpoints that we have to sit through per federal mandate (despite eight days of ICS training and command simulations being part of an entry-level firefighter’s required training) that keeps referring you to a never-defined “National Response Framework,” and is guaranteed to leave you confused about things that are clear and simple in ICS.

      With that in mind, I can’t say that this surprises me.

      1. ex-OS2

        Typical, big government stealing money to fix something that works and stealing money to create something that will never work.

        1. A Proud Infidel®™

          Whenever politicians and Government bureaucrats get involved, I always expect idiocy, incompetence, and clusterfuckery to be the result. They can’t blame Bush!

          1. AW1Ed

            “Clusterfuckery.” I am so stealing this! Thanks, API!

          2. Airdale (AW) USN

            It was during the presidency of George H.W. Bush, not Bill Clinton, that the U.S. Department of Defense issued a directive in February 1992 affecting the carrying of firearms on bases by military personnel. That directive was eventually implemented through a regulation 190-14 issued by the Department of the Army (not via executive order) in March 1993, just two months after President Clinton assumed office.

  2. 2/17 Air Cav

    “in 10 minutes or less” That’s great. When bullets are whizzing, 10 minutes isn’t long at all…

    1. The Other Whitey

      It’s probably enough time for the scumbags to run out of ammo. Safety first!

  3. Sparks

    First!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    :mrgreeen:

    Ya who’s your daddy, who’s your daddy!!!

    1. Sparks

      What the hell did I just do?????????????? It was blank when I started typing an when I posted???? I forget that if I don’t refresh the page when it says 0 comments is may be stale. Sorry, my dumb assed bad there.

      1. Sparks

        Plus I screwed up :mrgreen:

      2. Hondo

        Have another cup of java, Sparks. Perhaps you need one. (smile)

        Seriously: if that’s the worst mistake you make today, it’s a good day.

        1. Sparks

          Thank you Hondo. I just got another cup and feel better. You are right, if that is my worst screw up of the day, it promises to be a great one. 😀

    2. Skippy

      ??????

  4. 19D2OR4-Smitty

    The OPLOAD I have on have in my arms rooms is 60 whole rounds of 5.56. That is for guard duty, force pro and contingencies. It is in a sealed and locked ammo can, inside a locked cage, inside the double locked arms room. It would take about ten minutes just to get it out and load up the magazines (assuming I’m nearby). So that ten minute alert now has a 20 minute time minimum with an end result of maybe two guys with one mag each being tasked to defend a unit of over 100 personnel.

    So two whole mags…woo.

    1. David

      damn, before the tragic boat accident I kept better than that for multiple guns at multiple locations in the house. Tragically, since then I may be forced to use very long and sharp pointy things. Or if I just don’t want to wake the neighbors.

  5. Sparks

    I have no idea what Carter is talking about. 10 minutes or less for what? To get approval from the local Commanders to return fire? This is the Pentagon, via Obama passing the buck for responsibility should anything go awry to as many local Commanders as possible, instead of simple allowing trained troops to carry weapons for defense and then trusting them with the training they have been given. The same troops who in civilian attire with a Concealed Carry Permit at WalMart can defend himself and others with no problem. So why do they not trust them and allow them to defend themselves in Recruiting Stations and post entry gates? This is a fucked up as allowing any and everyone to decide which shitter to use based on what they say they are.

  6. HMCS(FMF) ret.

    Ashton Carter = Village Idiot

    1. A Proud Infidel®™

      And that’s putting it VERY mildly.

    2. Atkron

      Hey Senior,I believe i just fielded a phone call from some village that wants their idiot back….same guy?

  7. Silentium Est Aureum

    Reactive versus proactive.

    Dear Ash, guess which policy fills more body bags?

    Asshole.

  8. ocean12

    I have 18 years of reserve time and at no point has anyone ever known that at each drill weekend I attend there is a Glock 19 with 2 reloads on my person.

    I will take my chances with a courts martial than be a victim

  9. USMC MSgt (Ret)

    How long will THAT powerpoint presentation be?

  10. Pinto Nag

    When someone tells you something you know is garbage, then you let common sense be your guide. It’s just that simple.

  11. Ceefour

    Recruiting duty=Hazardous duty pay…

  12. Atkron

    Throwing a dollar to save a dime.

    How much would it cost to allow NCOs and Officers to carry a sidearm?