
Either someone does not know that April Fool’s Day is 6 months behind us, or there is trouble, my friends, trouble right here in Foggy Bottom. Someone is stirring the pot in an odd way.
From WaPo:
The White House sought to distance itself Saturday from reports that President Trump is considering an executive order that would subject tech giants like Facebook, Google and Twitter to federal investigations into alleged political bias.
For weeks, top tech companies have been on edge, fearing that the Trump administration could seek to regulate the industry in response to the president’s tweets attacking social media sites for silencing conservatives online. Their worst suspicions seemed to come true Friday night, with the emergence of a draft executive order that called for nearly every federal agency to study how companies like Facebook police their platforms and refer instances of “bias” to the Justice Department for further study.
But three White House aides soon insisted they didn’t write the draft order, didn’t know where it came from and generally found it to be unworkable policy. One senior White House official confirmed the document had been floating around the White House but had not gone through the formal process, which is controlled by the staff secretary.
Asked about the document, Lindsay Walters, the deputy White House press secretary, said of the digital age ‘who dun it’ on Saturday: “Although the White House is concerned about the conduct of online platforms and their impact on society, this document is not the result of an official White House policymaking process.” – Washington Post article
CNBC also has an article here:
- The White House is reportedly working on a memorandum for President Donald Trump to sign that would direct government agencies to “thoroughly investigate” whether social media companies such as Google or Facebook have violated U.S. antitrust laws, Bloomberg reported Saturday.
- Social media company leaders, including Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter chief Jack Dorsey have denied that their platforms are politically biased.
The White House is reportedly working on a memorandum for President Donald Trump to sign that would direct government agencies to “thoroughly investigate” big tech companies like Google and Facebook, Bloomberg News reported on Saturday, who have fended off accusations of political bias against conservatives. – CNBC article.
In the WaPo article, is this: “Aides at the White House said all week that the National Economic Council – which would have been tasked under the draft order to help agencies probe online bias – didn’t write it and didn’t know where it came from. Likewise, the Office of Science and Technology Policy had nothing to do with creating this draft.”
The document has been floated to tech companies, e.g., Book of Face and Giggles, as well as attorneys at so-called “white shoe firms” in Washington, DC.
In the WaPo article, there is a statement that the first anyone had heard of it at all came from an e-mail sent by or through Yelp.
You can draw your own conclusions about this.
However, since Bloomberg News reported it first and it subsequently appeared elsewhere in WaPo and CNBC’s newsfeeds, then in my humble opinion it does not land the production of this “draft” in the laps of the people at Bloomberg News or any of the other news feeds.
If it was done as a joke, it is in the same poor taste that is frequently manifested by the idiots on the lefthand side of the Mugwump fence. If it was done by any news source and forwarded to the media feeds through Yelp, it just compounds the fact that it is a lie.
In view of this attempt at forging a White House document, I will add that I now suspect whoever created this “draft document” is the same person, self-described as part of The Resistance, who created the so-called “op-ed” published by the New York Times.
If that is the case, then the media have just been hosed but good. The joke is on them.
I hope they enjoy baloney sandwiches.






