Category: Terror War

  • al Qaeda making a come back

    Someone recently told us how the terrorist organization that we’ve been fighting for over 15 years is on the ropes. It seems that now, the government is saying that they’re on their way back into the ring, according to NBC News;

    U.S. officials tell NBC News that al Qaeda — though its core in Pakistan has been degraded by years of CIA drone strikes — is now experiencing renewed strength through its affiliates, led by al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) in Yemen and the Nusra Front in Syria. Clapper called the two groups al Qaeda’s “most capable” affiliates in his House testimony Thursday.

    […]

    Al Qaeda has not managed to attack a Western target recently, but it continues to inspire plots.

    So, I guess that strategy of droning the leadership isn’t working, but I don’t see anyone suggesting a new strategy. Wasn’t Joe Biden in charge of all of that? I guess that was probably one of the first mistakes.

  • Kurds rescue Swedish teen

    Kurds rescue Swedish teen

    Marlin Stivani Nivarlain

    Marlin Stivani Nivarlain, a fifteen-year-old Swedish girl, left her foster home to marry a 19-year-old boyfriend last year. As they contemplated their future together, they decided to join ISIS. When they got to Syria, the terrorist organization sent her boyfriend off to fight and cloistered her with a group of women. Marlin became disillusioned with the new lifestyle, got a hold of a cell phone and called her foster parents. They contacted the government and begged them to rescue their child from her own bad choices. The Swedish government then asked the Kurds to help them recover the now-16-year-old.

    According to the UK Metro, Nivarlain was rescued once back in October, but she fled the Kurd rescuers and returned to ISIS in Mosul. So the Kurds mounted yet another rescue, according to CNN;

    According to the statement from Kurdish authorities, Nivarlain “was misled by an ISIL member in Sweden to travel to Syria and later to Mosul.” ISIL is another acronym for ISIS.

    Members of her family, along with Swedish authorities, asked for Kurdish help in rescuing her, the statement said.

    “She is currently in the Kurdistan Region and is provided the care afforded to her under international law,” the statement said. “She will be transferred to Swedish authorities to return home once necessary arrangements are put (in) place.”

    Maybe this time the rescue will stick. There’s no mention of the fate her husband, who is probably still stuck fighting alongside ISIS.

    I guess life in a “cradle-to-grave” government that makes right all of your own bad choices is a good thing. Well, for some people. Even if you make the same bad choice a couple of times like a fickle 16-year-old girl.

  • Gitmo grad arrested in Spain

    Gitmo grad arrested in Spain

    Hamed Abderrahman Ahmad

    Stars & Stripes reports that an unnamed Guantanamo detainee who was released in 2004 after two years there, was arrested in Spain for planning terrorist activities in support of ISIS.

    One of those detained in Ceuta was the former Guantanamo detainee who was not named by Spanish authorities but described as “a leader who was trained in handling weapons, explosives and in military tactics.” After being captured in 2002 and held in Guantanamo, he was returned to Spain in 2004, said Interior Minister Jorge Fernandez Diaz.

    […]

    The suspects had set up contacts to try to acquire weapons and bomb-making materials and were aiming “to carry out terrorist acts in Spanish territory,” the Spanish ministry statement said, without specifying possible targets.

    By the process of elimination, I arrived at the name of Hamed Abderrahman Ahmad also known as Ahmad Abd al Rahman Ahmad (in the picture above, that’s him leaving Spanish prison in 2004), a Spanish national who was captured in Pakistan while he was trying to escape the American invasion in 2001 and transferred to US custody at Guantanamo in 2002. In 2004 he was released from Gitmo to stand trial for crimes against Spain. Spanish courts convicted him and sentenced him to six years in prison. The sentence was overturned because there was a possibility that the evidence against Ahmad was acquired by torture, so the Spanish released him. In 2006, two of his brothers were arrested in Spain for terrorist activities related to al Qaeda – they were recruiting and sending Spaniards to Iraq.

  • US airstrikes on ISIS in Libya

    US airstrikes on ISIS in Libya

    Fox News report that US F-15 aircraft struck a terrorist encampment in Libya in an attempt to take out Noureddine Chouchane, the mastermind of the attack on tourists in Tunisia last year;

    Local reports initially suggested that more than 30 people had been killed. However, it was not immediately clear how many ISIS terrorists were among the dead.

    Chouchane is thought to have directed the March 18 attack on the Bardo Museum in Tunis, in which 24 people were killed, many of them foreign tourists. He is also believed to have some connection to the June 26 attack on a resort hotel near the Tunisian city of Sousse, where an ISIS gunman killed 38 people.

    President Barack Obama last week directed his national security team to bolster counterterrorism efforts in Libya while also pursuing diplomatic possibilities for solving its political crisis and forming a government of national unity.

    The Guardian bumps up the number of casualties among the terrorists to 41. The New York Times says that US sources claimed that the fighters were mostly Tunisian and it appeared that they were planning new attacks.

    Jamal Naji Zubia, the head of the foreign news media office in Tripoli, said the airstrikes targeted a farmhouse that had been seized by Islamic State militants. Most of those killed were Tunisian, he said, although one man, who died from his wounds at a hospital, appeared to be Jordanian.

    Fighters had been arriving at the house for some time, Mr. Zubia said, although the exact affiliation of the group was a mystery to neighbors. “They came individually to the house from different places,” he said. Some officials in the area said they believed the Tunisians had gathered at the house to hear a speech by a Muslim religious leader, he said.

    Te Times also reports that the poor ISIS fellows were mostly killed in their sleep. Too bad, so sad. It’s nice to see this administration actually do something deadly to terrorists for a change.

  • Pentagon to track down “ghost soldiers” in Afghanistan

    Bobo sends us a link to the Army Times which reports that the Pentagon is finaly going to launch a program to track down “ghost soldiers” – Afghan troops who don’t exist, for some reason or another, yet still get paid by US tax payer dollars;

    “(Our forces) now have no option but to rely on the Afghans to report on the number of troops and police in the field, yet audits indicate that record keeping by the Afghans is generally poor or nonexistent,” he said. “We continue to see repeated reports of ghost soldiers, ghost police as well as ghost teachers, ghost schools, ghost clinics throughout Afghanistan.”

    Abizaid said she is hopeful the new personnel systems will solve many of those problems. U.S. officials have planned new biometric identification cards for all Afghan Ministry of Defense and National Army personnel. Plans are to start handing out those new IDs this summer.

    But she also acknowledged the issue of ghost troops as “a significant problem” that threatens the long-term viability of the local forces.

    I’m guessing that few Afghans have “direct deposit”, so it might be easier than they make it sound. I remember standing in line every pay day to collect my check from an officer. A couple of months of that might straighten it all out along with some public trials of officers. The problem, of course, is that they didn’t nip it in the bud when the practice was first discovered years ago and now it’s a way of life for many. Another option is to make them pay for their own defense and jerk the troops out of Afghanistan completely.

  • ISIS cuts pay and perks

    ISIS cuts pay and perks

    Goat herd

    Fox News reports that the terrorist organization, the Islamic State, is experiencing a cash shortage, so they’re cutting pay and perks in the Levant.

    The extremists who once bragged about minting their own currency are having a hard time meeting expenses, thanks to coalition airstrikes and other measures that have eroded millions from their finances since last fall. Having built up loyalty among militants with good salaries and honeymoon and baby bonuses, the group has stopped providing even the smaller perks: free energy drinks and Snickers bars.

    The article says that they only except dollars for services and that they’ve reduced the cost of releasing kidnapping victims. Maybe they don’t need to be carpet-bombed, but this is certainly taking a long time. I’m thinking that cutting off free candy bars and energy drinks won’t put much of a dent in the beheadings, though.

  • Saudi Arabia and 20 other countries to stage maneuvers

    AFP reports that 20 nations are gathering portions of their armed forces in the north of Saudi Arabia to stage their maneuvers they’ve named “Thunder of the North”;

    The “Thunder of the North” exercise involving ground, air, and naval forces sends a “clear message” that Riyadh and its allies “stand united in confronting all challenges and preserving peace and stability in the region”, SPA said.

    Saudi Arabia is currently leading a military campaign against Iran-backed rebels in its southern neighbour Yemen. Last December, it also formed a new 35-member coalition to fight “terrorism” in Islamic countries.

    Yeah, because “clear messages” is what the war against ISIS has been lacking up until now. From Arab News, more clear messages news;

    The planned “North Thunder” military exercise is a clear message to Iran and the countries in the region it supports that any hostile intentions and actions will be firmly dealt with, an expert has said.

    The military drill is scheduled to be held in the northern region of Saudi Arabia in the next few days and a number of countries will be participating in it, local media reported on Tuesday.

    Military experts have warned that the next probable threat to the Gulf states is likely to come from the northern areas, after Iran demographically occupies Iraq and uses that country as its military arm to meddle in the affairs of neighboring countries and drain Gulf states’ resources.

    Oh, so the “clear message” is for Iran. That wasn’t clear. I was sure they needed to send a message to ISIS, you know the clear and present danger in the region. So, I guess the Sunni Saudis consider the Shi’ite Iranians to be a bigger threat than the Sunni ISIS. I mean, if the Saudis really want to test their coalition, they should have a real live-fire maneuver against ISIS and actually accomplish something. But, no, because politics is more important than security. Blank Firing Adapter politics by other means.

  • Mohamed Barry and his machete attack

    Mohamed Barry and his machete attack

    mohamed-barry

    The other day, Mohamed Barry walked into the Nazareth Restaurant and Deli in Columbus, Ohio, talked with an employee and then left the business. He came back about thirty minutes later swinging a machete. He injured four people before the clientele started defending themselves with whatever they could find – mostly they flung chairs at him. Finally, he left with the police in close pursuit. When Barry finally stopped, he exited his car with the machete and a knife. Police tried to control him with a taser, when that was not effective, they shot him a couple of times until he was dead.

    ABC News says that Barry was known to the FBI;

    The machete-wielding man who allegedly injured four people in an attack at an Ohio restaurant before he was shot and killed by police was known to the FBI, but not under full scale investigation, law enforcement sources tell ABC News.

    Funny, but all of these stories lately are punctuated by the “we were watching him” statement from the government. I have to guess that there are thousands of these “watchees” out there, we don’t know who they are, or where they are, or the level of the government’s watching activities. Luckily, no one except Barry was killed this time. If this isn’t an advertisement for concealed carry, I don’t what could convince you.

    Fox News reports that the police are looking for Barry’s motivation for committing the crime;

    It was not clear if there was any political or racial motivation for the attack, but the Nazarath is known for its multiculturalism. The entrance is adorned with a small Israeli flag and the Arabic phrase, “Ahlan Wa Shalan” which translates to “You are my family, take it easy.”

    Clearly, it was nothing but domestic disturbance.