Category: Terror War

  • Tell Me Again Why We’re Involved?

    During the last two months, there have been armed clashes between two Syrian rebel factions on the northern outskirts of Aleppo.  The area is contested territory, and apparently both factions want to possess it.

    One of the groups is called Fursan al Haq, or “Knights of Righteousness”. They previously controlled the territory, but in February were displaced by “Syrian Democratic Forces” that moved into the area from the east.

    This wasn’t an isolated occurrence, either.  Similar clashes have been reported earlier this month in the town of Azaz, and in Aleppo’s Sheikh Maqsud neighborhood.

    Here’s the “punch line”:  Fursan al Haq is backed – an armed – by the CIA.  The Syrian Democratic Forces?  They’re backed and armed by the Pentagon.

    Yeah, you read that correctly.  Two of the Syrian rebel groups the US has backed to oppose Assad are currently fighting each other instead.

    Sheesh.  When the factions we back start fighting each other, you really have to wonder if we’re backing the right groups – or if we even have a freaking clue about what’s really going on in Syria.

    As I’ve said repeatedly:  perhaps Syria is indeed a case of, “Better the Devil you know . . . than the Devil you don’t.”  IMO, other than countering Da’esh and its allies we have “no dog in the fight” in the Syrian Civil War.  And had we not involved ourselves in Syria, I suspect Assad’s regime would have done a much better job taking care of Da’esh and its allies than we’ve done so far – at least in Syrian territory.

    This article from The Virginian-Pilot gives more details.  IMO it’s worth a read.

  • Nuke security guard killed in Belgium

    Nuke security guard killed in Belgium

    A Belgian soldier stands guard in front of a shop selling Tintin comic books in central Brussels

    Reuters reports that a security guard for a nuclear plant was killed for his security badge;

    The French language Derniere Heure (DH) newspaper reported the security guard’s badge was de-activated as soon as it was discovered he had been shot dead in the Charleroi region of Belgium and his badge stolen.

    An updated Reuters article says that the Belgian government denies those claims;

    [T]he local prosecutor on Saturday ruled out any militant link.

    The Charleroi prosecutor’s office also denied media reports that his security pass had been stolen and been de-activated as soon as investigators raised the alarm, public broadcaster VTM said.

    The UK’s Daily Mail reports that the guard, Didier Prospero, was found dead in his bathroom by his children when they returned home from school;

    It had been feared the murder may be part of an ISIS plot to attack the facility and release radioactive waste into the atmosphere.

    Or, the terrorists could have been planning to steal radioactive material to create a so-called dirty bomb.

    Also, it is possible the terrorists wanted to sabotage a critical piece of machinery and cause the plant to meltdown, leading to a critical release of radioactive material.

    Sebastien Berg, spokesman for the federal agency responsible for Belgium’s nuclear industry said they were fearful of a bomb exploding inside a plant or terrorists conducting a 9/11-style attack using a hijacked aircraft.

    According to the New York Times, several of the employees at the nuclear plant were stripped of their security badges and sent home.

    The Daily Mail article says that two former employees of the Belgian nuclear plant in Doel were fighting for ISIS in Syria.

    One of the men, reportedly known as Ilyass Boughalab, is believed to have been killed in Syria, while the second served a short prison sentence in Belgium for terror-related offences in 2014.

    With an extensive understanding of nuclear facilities, the convict’s short jail sentence has raised further questioned of the Belgian security services as well as fears he may have passed on important knowledge about the sites to the terrorist group.

  • Belgian terrorists foiled

    Belgian terrorists foiled

    The Wall Street Journal reports that Belgian police shot another terrorist in his getaway stick as he was attempting to board a tram with his lethal load.

    A Belgian government official described the captured man as a “big fish” and Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel canceled a planned event with Secretary of State John Kerry just as the Schaerbeek operation began, officials said.

    Cellphone videos taken by bystanders showed a man with a backpack lying on the ground at a tram station, as a bomb-disposal robot approached him.

    Several witnesses, who were in their homes at the time of the operation, said they heard two gunshots as police opened fire on the man who refused to lie down and hand over his bag. He was shot in the leg and then police took him away, the witnesses said.

    I’m guessing that Muslim Lives Matter will have something to say about that arrest. Other reports say that he was complying ith the police, but then they just decided to shoot him anyway. I’m not sure that folks in this country would stand for a bomb-robot searching a criminal here in the US. ACLU would have conniption fits. Five other terrorists have been arrested in Brussels along with this limping unfortunate fellow.

    The French have been busy, too according to US News;

    [Radio Télévision Belge Francophone] says the operation was in coordination with the arrest in France on Thursday of Reda Kriket, whom authorities had been looking for since January for his suspected connection to the November attack in Paris. Kriket and other suspects in the Nov. 13 attacks were convicted in absentia last year for terrorist activities.

    What I find to be amazing about our European cousins is that they’re real good at rounding up criminals after a terrorist attack – as if they know right where all of the guys are suddenly. More than likely, they were being “watched” weeks ago – like watching them has ever prevented a terrorist attack. But, if you decide that you want to criticize the Europeans, you’ll draw the ire of our own John Kerry;

    Secretary of State John Kerry, who was in Brussels on Friday in a hastily organized visit after his trip to Moscow, said that “carping” about Belgium’s shortcomings “is a little bit frantic and inappropriate.”

    The Belgian Justice and Interior Ministers both offered their resignations before the smoke had cleared at the airport. They admitted their shortcomings. “Frantic and inappropriate” is what I’d call John Kerry showing up while the rubble is still bouncing.

    An unnamed wife of an US Air Force Lieutenant Colonel was killed in the assault, by the way, according to Fox News.

    Fox News also reported that the US announced that we took out an ISIS paymaaster in Syria in retaliation.

  • Belgian law enforcement failures

    The Belgians admit that they have failed their citizenry prior to the bombing the other day that killed more than thirty people and injured hundreds of others. One of the bombers, Brahim El Bakraoui, had been arrested by the Turks when he tried to get into Syria last summer. The Turks sent him back to Belgium at his own request. The Belgian government released him because they had no evidence that he had jihadist connections. His brother, 26-year-old Khalid, was found to have violated his parole last Spring by maintaining contact with his jihadi pals, but officials released him anyway. From Reuters;

    Two sources familiar with the matter said the Bakraoui brothers had been on U.S. government counterterrorism watch lists before the attacks. But it was not clear how long they had been known to the authorities.

    Belgian Interior Mininster Jan Jambon and Justice Minister Koen Geens offered to resign their posts, but Prime Minister Charles Michel asked them to stay, I guess because any trained monkey will do AFTER a successful terrorist attack. From Fox News;

    Turkey said it had warned Belgium that it had flagged El Bakraoui as a “foreign terrorist fighter.” El Bakraoui had a criminal record in Belgium at the time he went to Turkey, but Belgian authorities also could find no links to terrorism.

    Geens appeared on a Belgian TV news show and was asked who was to blame for the failure to follow up on the Turkish warning.

    “It is clear it is not one single person, but it is true that we could have expected from Ankara or Istanbul a more diligent communication, we think, that perhaps could have avoided certain things.”

    Now, wait, Turkey deported El Bakraoui for tying to sneak into Syria and that wasn’t a “diligent communication”? You can’t convince me that they let the brothers loose for reasons other than political correctness. They didn’t want to anger the jihadis more than they were already angry.

    And, oh, yeah, the third guy, the one in the light-colored jacket?

    Security sources told Belgian media the other suicide bomber at the airport was Najim Laachraoui, a veteran Belgian Islamist fighter in Syria suspected of making explosive belts for November’s Paris attacks.

    If they knew that after the bombing, they knew it before the bombing.

  • Pentagon: Gitmo grads have killed Americans

    Pentagon: Gitmo grads have killed Americans

    guantanamo1

    The Associated Press reports that terrorists who have been released from Guantanamo’s detainee center went on to kill Americans;

    Paul Lewis, the Pentagon’s special envoy for Guantanamo detention closure, declined to provide the GOP-led House Foreign Affairs Committee with details. He would not say whether the incidents occurred before or after President Barack Obama took office in January 2009.

    “What I can tell you is unfortunately there have been Americans that have died because of (Guantanamo) detainees,” Lewis said during an exchange with Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif.

    “When anybody dies, it is tragedy and we don’t want anybody to die because we transfer detainees,” Lewis said.

    […]

    “There are unfortunately going to be acts of terrorism, probably whether the facility is opened or closed,” [Lee Wolosky, the State Department’s special envoy for Guantanamo closure] said. “The proper analysis is, ‘What are the risks of keeping it open in light of the very obvious use of that facility as a propaganda tool,’ which, frankly, you should not have to question.”

    So, why even fight terror at all? It’s going to happen no matter what we do, so let’s just throw up our hands and do nothing. We can use that money to give everyone free college, if they can survive the experience.

  • US Airman and family caught in Brussels attack

    Our buddy, Susan Katz Keating who writes at People these days reports that a US Air Force airman was among the injured in Brussels yesterday.

    “The United States Air Force can confirm that one U.S. Air Force service member from Joint Force Command Brunssum, the Netherlands, was injured in today’s horrific attack at the airport in Brussels,” Maj. Melissa Milner wrote in an email. “The Airman’s family was also present and has sustained various injuries.”

    Citing concerns about privacy, the Air Force spokesperson did not release the family’s names, or describe the extent of their injuries.

    The service member is assigned to a noncombat unit that trains and assists NATO’s Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan. The unit also is tasked with primary response duties for crises and disasters.

    According to the Air Force, it’s ironic that the airman would normally be responding to the situation in Brussels as part of his duties.

  • Brussels under attack

    Brussels under attack

    Brussels

    This past weekend, Belgian police arrested Salah Abdeslam who was involved in the planning for the Paris bombings earlier this year. Today, bombs have been detonated at the main airport and subway stations in Brussels, according to the New York Times;

    The explosions killed at least 13 people, according to news agencies. While the causes of the blasts were not yet clear, they set off meetings about terrorism throughout Europe.

    […]

    The attacks put the Belgian capital in a state of virtual lockdown. All flights were canceled for the day. All subway, tram and bus travel was shut down. Eurostar canceled its trains connecting Brussels with Paris and London. Cellphone lines were jammed as panicked travelers and Belgians tried to make calls.

    According to Reuters, the airport attack was the work of a suicide bomber;

    A witness said he heard shouts in Arabic shortly before two blasts struck the packed airport departure lounge. Pictures on social media showed smoke rising from the terminal building through shattered windows and passengers fleeing down a slipway, some still hauling their bags.

    All public transport in Brussels was shut down, as it was in London during 2005 militant attacks on the underground that killed 52. A further 225 soldiers were sent into the city and the Belgian Crisis Centre, clearly wary of a further incident, appealed to the population: “Stay where you are”.

    The media is now reporting that 15 were killed in the attacks. Belgian government officials are saying that they expected the attack for several weeks. I’m sure the victims are grateful that the attacks were not unexpected.

  • Salah Abdeslam planned more attacks from Brussels

    Salah Abdeslam planned more attacks from Brussels

    Salah-Abdeslam

    Fox News reports that Salah Abdeslam, who was involved in the planning of the attacks in Paris earlier this year, was captured by Brussels, Belgium police the other day after they wounded him in his leg as he charged them while he was surrounded. Reports are that he was receiving support from the Muslim community in Europe, more so than any support he got from ISIS. Searching his apartment, they found more evidence that he was planning more attacks from Brussels;

    Salah Abdeslam had claimed that “he was ready to restart something from Brussels, and it’s maybe the reality,” Foreign Minister Didier Reynders said.

    Reynders gave credence to the suspect’s claim because “we found a lot of weapons, heavy weapons in the first investigations, and we have seen a new network of people around him in Brussels.”

    […]

    Interpol also has called on European countries to be vigilant at their borders, saying Abdeslam’s accomplices may try to flee after his capture. The international police agency recommended closer checks at borders, especially for stolen passports. Many of the Nov. 13 attackers and accomplices traveled on falsified or stolen documents

    Belgium and France have much tougher gun laws than we do in the United States, American leftists drool at the level of control those laws would offer them here, yet terrorists seem to be able to move around their weapons around and employ those weapons against innocents fairly easily. If only we could get criminals to obey the laws.

    CNN reports that there were “a lot of weapons when he was captured;

    “He was ready to restart something in Brussels,” said Reynders, speaking at the German Marshall Fund’s Brussels Forum. “And it’s maybe the reality because we have found a lot of weapons, heavy weapons, in the first investigations and we have found a new network around him in Brussels.”

    Maybe they need new laws.