Category: Terror War

  • Sweden firebombing

    Yesterday, in Gothenburg, Sweden, a number of people firebombed a Synagogue while folks were in the building. Luckily, no on was injured and three twenty-something men were arrested. Of course, according to the New York Times, it’s Trump’s fault;

    A police spokeswoman, Ulla Brehm, said: “It might become a hate crime. The crime is attempted arson. But that may change during the investigation.”

    The Police Authority’s commissioner, Dan Eliasson, told the Aftonbladet newspaper that the threat level against Jewish interests in Sweden had increased since President Trump’s announcement that the United States would recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

    The attack in Gothenburg, a city on the country’s west coast, came a day after demonstrators took to the streets of Malmo, Sweden’s third-largest city, shouting slogans about killing or shooting Jews.

    So, Trump’s announcement that he would move our embassy to Jerusalem is what caused some racists in Sweden to firebomb a Synagogue. Actually, the US recognized Jerusalem as Israel’s capitol in 1995, when Bill Clinton was president. From the Washington Post;

    [In October, 1995] the House and Senate passed a bill called the “Jerusalem Embassy Act,” which formally recognized the city as the country’s capital and called for the U.S. Embassy in Israel to be moved there from Tel Aviv by 1999. Support for the bill was overwhelming. It passed the Senate by a 93 to 5 vote, with four Republicans and one Democrat voting no. It passed the House 374 to 37, with 153 Democrats joining most of the new Republican majority that had swept into power in 1994.

    So, I have to think that the firebombing in Gothenburg was going to happen anyway, no matter what Trump does. I mean, Sweden is thousands of miles from Gaza. If those twenty-year-olds were so concerned about the trajectory of politics in the Middle East, why are they in Sweden?

  • Pentagon admits more troops in Syria than previous reports

    Pentagon admits more troops in Syria than previous reports

    According to Stars & Stripes, the Pentagon admits that there are about 2,000 pairs of boots on the ground – about 4 times more US troops in Syria than the previous administration admitted;

    In Syria, under Obama administration accounting practices known as Force Management Levels, the Pentagon only acknowledged 503 troops in Syria, though officials privately admitted there were significantly more forces there.

    [Army Col. Rob Manning, a Pentagon spokesman] also said Wednesday that the United States has about 5,200 troops in Iraq, essentially the same force size as the Pentagon acknowledged under Obama.

    The Pentagon declined to say why it took three months longer to disclose more accurate troop counts for Iraq and Syria than Afghanistan. Manning said the delay was in an effort to “get it right.”

    I guess the Obama Administration was more concerned about cosmetic appearances in the media than they were about truthiness.

    Earlier this week, the Pentagon announced a withdrawal of 400 Marines from the theater, along with their artillery assets, however, we’re assured that most of the forces in the region will remain to enforce the newly-won security from ISIS who are still fighting from inside their caves and ravines in Syria;

    ISIS has lost about 97 percent of the land it once controlled across Syria and Iraq, Manning said Wednesday, but small pockets of fighters remain in both countries.

    “Important work remains to ensure lasting defeat” of ISIS, he said. “We will be in Syria as long as it takes to make sure that ISIS is not afforded the ability to reestablish safe havens and plan and conduct attacks.”

    Operations in both countries are shifting as the terrorist group shrinks, said Eric Pahon, another Pentagon spokesman. U.S. advisers are primarily focused on operations to remove thousands of improvised explosive devices and other threats left behind by the terrorists so locals can safely return to their homes.

    Imagine the outrage, though, if it was discovered that the Trump Administration lied about troop strength any where in the world.

  • Mullah Shah Wali killed by Afghan forces

    Reuters reports that Afghan forces killed Mullah Shah Wali, the commander of the Taliban’s “Red Unit” special forces, along side of a suicide bomber and two other commanders in Helmand Province last week.

    Wali became the commander of the Taliban’s “Red Unit” as well as deputy shadow governor of Helmand province three years ago and was directly involved in Taliban offensives, the statement said.

    The “Red Unit” is thought to be equipped with advanced weapons, including night vision scopes, 82mm rockets, heavy machine guns and U.S.-made assault rifles, according to the Afghan military.

    “Special forces” means different things in different countries and to the media which gets it’s military background information from Rambo and Chuck Norris movies.

    Meanwhile in Africa, the US has entered into an agreement with the Niger government to fly armed drones in a defensive role over that country, according to the Associated Press;

    The arrangement, which has not been publicly announced, reflects an expanding U.S. military campaign against extremists in Africa and is based on a recently signed U.S-Nigerien memorandum of understanding. It was first reported by the New York Times.

    The U.S. official said armed drone flights could begin as early as next week or at least by the end of December. The memorandum of understanding limits the drones to defensive missions, the official said.

  • Ahmed Abu Khattala guilty

    Ahmed Abu Khattala guilty

    Military.com reports that Ahmed Abu Khattala, the fellow who was kidnapped from Libya by US Delta operators on June 14th, 2014, to answer in US court for his part in the assault on the US consulate in Benghazi September 11th, 2012, was convicted of only 3 charges (out of the original 18 charges) in a Washington, DC courtroom yesterday.

    Khattala was found guilty of conspiracy to provide material support to the attackers, destroying U.S. property and placing lives in danger, and using a firearm during the attack. He faces up to 45 years in prison if given the maximum sentence on all charges.

    The verdict brought an end to a trial that had been one of the most significant terrorism prosecutions in recent years in a U.S. civilian court, even though the Trump administration had argued such suspects are better sent to the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

    The jury acquitted the terror chief of 14 charges so that he’s facing only 60 years in jail, according to BBC;

    He was convicted on four charges including conspiracy to provide material support for terrorism, maliciously destroying and injuring dwellings and property as well as using and carrying a semi-automatic weapon during a crime of violence.

    Hardly worth the trouble.

  • Coalition vows to wipe terrorists from the face of the Earth

    According to AFP, forty-one defense ministers from Muslim countries met in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia yesterday in order to begin coordination in their own war against terror. They were led by Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s crown prince and defense minister and heir to the throne.

    The alliance groups largely, although not exclusively, Sunni-majority or Sunni-ruled countries.

    It excludes Saudi Arabia’s arch-rival, Shiite-dominated Iran, as well as Syria and Iraq, whose leaders have close ties to Tehran.

    Sunday’s meeting coincides with an escalation in tensions between Riyadh and Tehran, particularly over wars in Syria and Yemen and the political structure of multi-confessional Lebanon.

    Saudi Arabia accuses Iran of supporting armed groups across the Middle East, including Lebanon’s Shiite Hezbollah and Yemen’s Huthi rebels.

    “The pillar of this coalition is inclusion,” said Saudi General Abdulelah al-Saleh, the alliance’s acting secretary general, playing down the exclusion of the three countries.

    “Our common enemy is terrorism, not any religion, sect or race.”

    Well, they’re about sixteen years too late, but I guess late is better than never.

    The alliance was announced in 2015, it took two years to have their first meeting, so I’m thinking that not too much will come of this alliance, I hope I’m wrong.

    Since the alliance is mostly Sunni, they may have some short-term effect on Sunni al-Qaeda and Sunni ISIS, but the real threat in the region is Shi’ite Iran and their client Shi’ite Hezbollah. Freezing them out of the coalition doesn’t bode well for the whole process.

  • Mosque attack in Egypt; 200 dead, 130 injured

    Fox News reports that Islamist extremists attacked an Egyptian mosque today resulting in at least 200 killed and 130 injured, according to Egyptian news agencies;

    The extremists launched an attack on the al-Rawdah mosque in the town of Bir al-Abd, some 25 miles from the North Sinai provincial capital of el-Arish, Egypt’s state news agency MENA reported. The attack appeared to be the latest by the area’s local Islamic State affiliate.

    The security officers said the men opened fire on worshipers during prayers while driving in off-road vehicles. A Ministry of Health spokesman said the terrorists set off a bomb during the attack.

    “They (the extremists) were shooting at people as they left the mosque,” a resident told Reuters.

    “They were shooting at the ambulances too,” the resident continued.

    Unarmed churchgoers seem to be the best targets. No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks yet.

    From Newsweek;

    The extremists reportedly approached and fired at the mosque from four “off-road” vehicles and blew up vehicles to block worshipers from exiting the mosque, the AP reported citing three police officers.

    From The New York Times;

    Islamist militants detonated explosives and sprayed gunfire at a crowded Sufi mosque near Egypt’s Sinai coast on Friday, killing at least 235 people and wounding 109 more, in one of the deadliest attacks on civilians in the country’s modern history.

    […]

    The gunmen lingered at the scene even as emergency workers arrived to treat the injured, and opened fire on several ambulances, Ahmed el-Ansari, a senior government health official, said on state television.

  • NBC News: US on track for three-fold increase on bombing Afghanistan

    For some reason, Huffington Post and NBC News find fault with an increase this year in the number of bombs that the United States has dropped on Afghanistan over last year;

    On Monday, NBC News reported that the U.S. Air Force was on track to triple the number of bombs dropped in Afghanistan in 2017 compared with last year.

    As of Oct. 31, the U.S. had dropped 3,554 bombs on the country, the report said. That stands in contrast to the 1,337 bombs from all of 2016 and the 947 bombs dropped on Afghanistan in the entirety of 2015.

    Trump announced earlier this year that the U.S. would expand its military presence in Afghanistan in an effort to wipe out the Taliban ? despite his “original instinct … to pull out” of America’s longest war.

    Yeah, well, last year we weren’t doing too well in regards to securing Afghanistan compared to this year, either. If those bombs were dropping on civilian-occupied built-up areas, HuffPo and NBC might have a point, but those bombs fell in support of US and allied forces in their war against the forces of evil.

    Gen. John Nicholson, the commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, said on Monday that Trump had emboldened him with “new authority” to launch a bombing campaign against opium labs that have been lining the Taliban’s pockets with cash.

    “In striking northern Helmand and the drug enterprises there, we’re hitting the Taliban where it hurts, which is their finances,” Nicholson told reporters in a teleconference, speaking from Afghanistan. “These new authorities allow me to go after the enemy in ways I couldn’t before.”

    I guess that’s the problem – the opium users at the Huffington Post and NBC are worried that their pockets will take a hit when the market prices of dope rise.

  • LT Sayed Basam Pacha

    LT Sayed Basam Pacha

    The New York Times tells the story of Afghan Police Lieutenant Sayed Basam Pacha and his last moments. He was guarding a gathering of dignitaries in Kabul last week when he spotted a man he suspected was a suicide bomber;

    Broad-shouldered and heavily muscled, Lieutenant Pacha shouted at the suspect to halt, but instead the man started running. The officer stopped him, throwing his arms around him in a bear hug.

    A second later the bomber detonated the explosive vest hidden under his coat. Fourteen people, including Lieutenant Pacha and seven other police officers as well as six civilians, were killed; 18 others were wounded, seven police and 11 civilians, said Basir Mujahed, a police spokesman.

    There was little doubt the death toll would have been far higher without the lieutenant’s body blunting the blast, Mr. Mujahed said.

    “He’s a hero, he saved many lives,” he said. “All seven of those policemen are heroes but especially him. Just think if that suicide attacker got past the gate, what would have happened — you cannot even imagine.”

    Lieutenant Pacha’s father, Gen. Sayed Nizam Agha, is also a police commander.

    “My son sacrificed himself to save other people,” General Agha said, proud but tearful when reached by telephone. He wept as he recounted his son’s story.

    Lt Pacha had only been on the job for a year – but Afghanistan needs a few divisions of policemen like him.