Category: Society

  • Hungry, hungry hippos

    The Washington Post has an article in today’s paper entitled “Report: More Americans going hungry” – it’s a headline right out of the battle for Lyndon Johnson’s war against poverty;

    In 2008, the report found, nearly 17 million children — more than one in five across the United States — were living in households in which food at times ran short, up from slightly more than 12 million children the year before. And the number of children who sometimes were outright hungry rose from nearly 700,000 to almost 1.1 million.

    Among people of of all ages, nearly 15 percent last year did not consistently have adequate food, compared with about 11 percent in 2007, the greatest deterioration in access to food during a single year in the history of the report.

    Taken together, the findings provide the latest glimpse into the toll that the weak economy has taken on the well-being of the nation’s residents.

    Yeah, a weak economy did it. I wonder if they also surveyed the same households which didn’t have “adequate food” for the presence of an X-box, cable and a big screen TV.

    Poverty and food shortages are linked but not the same thing, according to the report. Just half the households in which food is scarce have incomes at or below the official poverty level, the data show, while most of the rest have slightly less than twice the poverty level.

    In other words, it’s not that people are too poor to buy food – they’re too stupid to buy food. So what’s the President going to do? Send us some groceries and cooks to prepare our food for us? There are so many government programs and not-for-profit organizations in this country that are set up for feeding people, how can anyone be hungry?

    I’ll tell you who the hungry families are – the same people that are waiting for you to buy their healthcare. Waiting on their sofas, game controller in their greasy oversized paw.

  • “Service is embedded in their DNA”

    The Washington Times has an article this morning about a report of a survey from Civic Enterprises that advises local and national leaders to tap into the reservoir of talent in today’s returning veterans instead of looking at the veteran community as a burden and damaged goods;

    The results of the survey, being released Wednesday, show that 90 percent of returning veterans want to continue to serve their communities in some capacity.

    “The public perception is that they are damaged in some way when they come back,” said John Marshall Bridgeland, chief executive of Civic Enterprises. “They view veterans as already having served their country and think they should be left alone because they have given the ultimate sacrifice, risked their lives, and that their service is done.

    “But what this survey shows is that service is embedded in their DNA,” Mr. Bridgeland said. “They believe they have a lot to teach, especially to young people.”

    Although 89 percent of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans agreed that other Americans could learn from their service, only 44 percent said they consider themselves leaders in their communities.

    Nearly 70 percent said they have not been contacted by a community group or place of worship, while 54 percent said they were contacted by a veterans service organization. However, of those who did speak with veterans groups, only 21 percent were asked to serve their communities.

    As one veteran in the survey said: “Recognize our usefulness. We are not charity cases. We are an American asset.”

    Time reports from the same survey;

    And not surprisingly, many people have found themselves trying to lend veterans a helping hand rather than asking for their help. While 7 out of 10 returning vets were offered a service from local do-gooders, only 1 in 5 was asked to serve. In particular, veterans say they are eager to serve by helping other veterans, aiding in disaster relief, helping the elderly and troubled kids and protecting the environment.

    Not unsurprisingly, the Hollywood version of the returning veteran is wrong, just like it was wrong three decades ago. You can read the entire survey report (in .pdf) at Civic Enterprises, LLC.

  • What James Branum won’t tell you

    Yesterday, TSO wrote about Travis Bishop’s and Leo Church’s lawyer, James Branum and his claims that the Fort Lewis Regional Detention Facility is Guantanamo-on-Sequalitchew Lake. Like we do here at This Ain’t Hell, TSO followed up with an email to the Fort Lewis PAO to get the answers that Branum won’t provide to the media;

    Q1. James Branum, the civilian lawyer representing Sgt. Travis Bishop and Spc. Leo Church, said the two were put in a 10-day(ish) medical hold when they first arrived. During this hold, they were not allowed to make any phone calls, including to lawyers. Is the medical hold a standard procedure? And are inmates allowed to use the telephone to make calls during this hold?

    Answer. When new prisoners are assigned to the Northwest Joint Regional Correctional Facility (NWJRCF) they are segregated until they are medically cleared to join the general population, which can take 3-10 days. This is for the prisoners’ safety as well as the staff. The prisoners can still make phone calls during the segregation period, and they are visited daily by staff.

    Q2. Branum said the two couldn’t make calls to their lawyer without someone listening because a secure attorney/client room had yet to be completed. Can you confirm if an attorney room (with unmonitored phone lines) has yet to be completed?

    Answer. The NWJRCF was relocating some offices and facilities, and a private room was not readily available for private calls; however, at the time Mr. Branum was not the attorney-of record. Had he been, the prisoner(s) would have been afforded the privileges of a conversation with their attorney and not having it recorded; however, a guard is required to be present during the conversation to ensure additional phone calls are not made. If he was the attorney of record, the RCF would have made the provisions for them to have private phone calls in accordance with their rights.

    Q3. Branum said his clients made calls from elsewhere in the building, and that guards stood close by a violation of attorney/client privilege. If someone is required to make a phone call from elsewhere, are guards still required to remain nearby?

    Answer. The prisoner(s) were allowed to take calls in one of the counselor’s offices, but could not be permitted to remain there unescorted. Since then, a private area has been reestablished for private calls between prisoners and attorneys [of record]. In other words, if it’s a conversation with an attorney, the prisoners will be put in a private room and it’s confidential, as long as it is with the attorney of record.

    Otherwise, phone calls are made at a designated time on the prisoner phone system, and these calls are recorded. If a prisoner needs for some reason to make a call on a phone other than the prisoner phone system, then a guard will remain nearby.

    Q4. Branum said female guards watched his (male) clients use the restroom and shower. Are there rules prohibiting this?

    Answer. In accordance with Army Regulation 190-47, female correctional specialists are allowed to supervise male prisoners. When female correctional specialists walk through the facility, it is possible that they could see a male prisoner in the restroom or shower, but that is not a violation.

    Q5. Branum said his clients were strip-searched in a room that had cameras (though he was unsure if they were running at the time). Is there a standard operating procedure to turn off the cameras during this time?

    Answer. The NWJRCF is continuously monitored by cameras for security and safety reasons. It was recently brought to the staff’s attention that prisoners were being strip searched in the range of cameras. Since all cameras are on sensors that record motion, it is possible that this event may have been recorded. A review of facility procedures was conducted, and strip searches are now being conducted in areas without security cameras. Strip searches are conducted for security reasons and by no means were intended to humiliate the prisoner(s). The allegation that female guards watch strip searches is not true. Females guards are strictly prohibited from conducting frisk searches and strip searches of male prisoners. There are always adequate male personnel on duty to conduct searches.

    Q6. Are the guards MPs, contractors or GS employees?

    Answer. Military Police Correctional Specialists.

    Q7. The prisoners’ local counsel, Legrand Jones, says he was turned away last month at the gate even though he’s their legal representation. He says he’s on some list of folks not let past the gate.

    Answer. Mr. Legrand Jones, a local representative for Mr. Branum, arrived at the Fort Lewis Visitors Center unannounced, without prior notification and without an escort arranged, and attempted to gain access to Fort Lewis but was denied access by the installation security forces. At the time, he was not listed as Bishop or Church’s attorney of record. The security forces contacted the NWJRCF, and out of respect for Travis Bishop’s right to counsel a van was dispatched to make contact with Mr. Jones, but he had departed.

    Legrand Jones is designated as having limited access to Fort Lewis. Because of his prior encounters with law enforcement, he is regarded as a potential threat to good order and discipline on the installation. Nonetheless, as Travis Bishop’s lawyer, he has been afforded access to his client.

    Arrangements have been made to provide him with an escort to meet with Bishop, and he has visited his clients in person and telephonically.

    In closing, we can’t lose sight of the fact that these are prisoners who are serving a sentence. They may be afforded privileges of phone calls, access to mail, visitors, etc., but there is no absolute privacy except during face-to-face prisoner-attorney visits. All of the information in my responses is in accordance with Army policy and is applicable to all prisoners in the Northwest Joint Regional Correctional Facility. The NWJRCF is an accredited facility by the American Corrections Association, and the procedures for running the NWJRCF are comparable to civilian correctional facilities and prisons.

    This morning one of our IVAW refugees sent this YouTube video that Branum took of his laptop while it played a Radio Havana broadcast that expresses sympathy for Travis Bishop from the government of Cuba.

    That’s a real feather in your cap, James. Hugs from Fidel. Next thing you know, you’ll be getting Valentine’s Day cards from Kim Jong Il…ya twit.

  • Future soldier suspended from school

    Tankerbabe sent us this last night from an Albany, NY TV station about a high school boy who looked forward to a career in the military until one;

    Matthew says school officials approached him on Sept. 21, asking if he had a weapon on him. When Matthew answered he did not, he says the officials asked if he had a knife in his car. Matthew said it was a pocket knife, and took officials to his car when asked. He also turned over the pocket knife when asked.

    The Lansingburgh Central School District has a zero-tolerance policy on weapons. According to the district’s Codes of Conduct, students are not allowed to have “a weapon of any kind” on school grounds. Even though a pocket knife is not considered a weapon under New York State penal code, the district also prohibits students from possessing anything “that reasonably can be considered a weapon.”

    What did they think he was going to do, go on slasher attack in the cafeteria? Hijack the school and fly it into a skyscraper? It illustrates perfectly what I’ve said for years about the “security” system in this country. It’s designed to harass people more than protect us.

    George Goodwin, Superintendent, District Office 518-233-6850

  • The case for open carry

    Maybe if taxi cab drivers were allowed to open carry hand guns in New York City this kind of senseless violence could have been avoided;

    An armed society is a polite society.

  • Funeral pact kept

    Sometimes you guys send me links that I just don’t know how to handle. This one comes from VTWoody and our allies, the Australians;

    0694161300

    Before one of them was sent to fight in Afghanistan for the British Army, they made a deal: If one of them died, the other had to wear a dress to the funeral.

    So when Barry Delaney turned up to the graveside funeral of best friend Private Kevin Elliott, he did so wearing a tight fluorescent dress, The Times reports.

    Mr Delaney wept on his knees during the Scottish service for Private Elliott, who was killed while on foot patrol last month. He was aged 24.

    I do understand.

  • Huh? What hate?

    The Washington Times follows up their article yesterday about the Philly Black Panthers with a story about Republican lawmakers questioning the Obama Justice Department’s decision to not pursue charges against members of the New Black Panther Party who appear to be intimidating voters;

    Congressional Republicans on Thursday escalated their criticism of the Justice Department for dismissing a controversial voter-intimidation case, demanding that civil charges against the New Black Panther Party be restored. They also renewed their request to interview career attorneys who disagreed with the administration’s decision to dismiss the charges.

    Rep. Frank R. Wolf of Virginia, a senior Republican on the House Appropriations Committee, obtained an opinion Thursday from the Congressional Research Service (CRS) affirming that charges could legally be refiled without violating the double-jeopardy clause of the U.S. Constitution and said he thought Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. was obligated to refile the case.

    1stCavRVN11B sent us a link to a Free Republic post by my buddy Kristinn who points to yet another Washington Times story about Philly Black Panther Jerry Jackson;
    (more…)