Category: Navy

  • Captain Anthony Simmons; another Navy commander canned

    Captain Anthony Simmons; another Navy commander canned

    Anthony Simmons

    BNG sends us the news that the Navy has fired another flag officer. This time it is Captain Anthony Simmons who was the commander of the Norfolk-based Destroyer Squadron 2. According to the Navy Times;

    Carrier Strike Group 12 head Rear Adm. Roy Kelley [fired Simmons] on Wednesday after an investigation prompted a “loss of confidence in his ability to command,” according to an official release.

    “Capt. Anthony L. Simmons was relieved of his duties by Kelley due to loss of confidence in his ability to command as a result of failure to demonstrate the exemplary conduct expected of those in command,” the Naval Surface Force Atlantic release said.

    It looks like he made a pass at an enlisted sailor and then lied to his superiors when he was confronted. The Times says that Simmons is the 15th commander canned by the Navy this year.

  • Senior Chief Clayton Pressley III pleads guilty

    Senior Chief Clayton Pressley III pleads guilty

    Clayton Pressley III

    We talked about Senior Chief Clayton Pressley III and his unique leadership style back in May when he was arrested on bank fraud and identity theft charges – he was using the identities of a couple of his subordinates to make loans with online lenders. Well, he pleaded guilty the other day according to WAVY;

    According to releasable information from the Navy, Pressley enlisted in 1997. He has been awarded a bronze star and is attached to an explosive ordinance unit. A spokeswoman for the Navy told 10 On Your Side that as of today, Pressley is still active duty.

    “EODCS Clayton Pressley currently remains on active duty. Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 6 is currently evaluating the situation to take appropriate action, and is committed to ensuring accountability for those who are found to have violated standards of conduct or broken the law,” Lt. Liz Dougherty, Public Affairs Officer for Explosive Ordnance Disposal Group 2 wrote in an email.

    Sentencing is scheduled for January. Thanks to BNG for the link.

  • New Skivvies Required? Maybe.

    On March 18 of this year, an E2C aircraft was making a carrier landing on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower.

    During the landing, there was a sharp “snap”.  The arresting cable had broken.

    The plane did not decelerate.  It proceeded off the end of the carrier’s runway.

    Through immediate action, the plane’s aircrew managed to save the aircraft.  It descended nearly to the water – one of the crew estimates to within approximately 10 feet – but did not impact.  They were later able to land safely.

    Fox News has a story today concerning the incident that gives more details.  It’s worth a read – and includes video of the incident.

    For their actions that day, three pilots on-board the aircraft – Lt. Cmdr. Thomas Browning, Lt. Cmdr. Kellen Smith, and Lt. Matthew Halliwell – were awarded the Air Medal earlier this month.  Well done, men.   Damn well done.

    And after that incident, if any or all of you needed new skivvies – that’s IMO quite understandable.  (smile)

  • RIVRON 3 Patrol Ranking Officer Appeals NJP Punishment

    The ranking officer on the ill-fated 2-boat patrol from the US Navy’s RIVRON 3 captured by Iran IVO Farsi Island earlier this year has appealed the punishment he received under non-judicial punishment .

    The individual in question, LT David Nartker, was among a group of 4 individuals who received NJP last week in conjunction with their actions during the patrol.  Punishment was imposed on 3 of the individuals; the fourth was found not guilty by the Commander, Naval Expeditionary Combat Command.  Three more senior members of the chain-of-command in charge of the fiasco had previously received administrative sanctions likely to end their careers.

    Nartker was the ranking officer on the patrol.  He also apparently agreed to be interviewed by Iran on video as a condition of release.  Iran later used the interview for propaganda purposes.

    During that interview, Nartker admitted the Navy had erred and apologized for the error.  Investigators determined Nartker’s conduct to have been in contravention of the Code of Conduct.

    Nartker is apparently the only one of the three found guilty at NJP to appeal his punishment.  It is unclear whether any of the others will do so, as the 30-day period for filing appeals has not yet ended.

    The Commander, PACFLEET, will consider Nartker’s appeal.

  • Navy punishes four more for boat seizure

    Navy punishes four more for boat seizure

    iran pows

    The Navy Times reports that four more sailors were punished for the seizure by Iran of the two boat crews earlier this year.

    Four officers and two enlisted went to mast before Navy Expeditionary Combat Command head Rear Adm. Frank Morneau. Of the four officers, two were found guilty of disobeying a superior and dereliction of duty, according to an NECC statement and given punitive letters of reprimand — a potentially career-ending move. A third officer officer was found not guilty of dereliction of duty.

    My frame of reference for this whole thing is back in the good old days of the Cold War when we used to patrol the East German Border, and ya know what? I would have publicly fired my squad leaders if they did shit like this;

    The sailors from Coastal Riverine Squadron 3 did not brief or even plan their route from Kuwait to Bahrain. While the original route would have avoided Iran’s territorial waters around Farsi Island, the crew immediately deviated from their original course to make up for a late start.
    The crew did not report to their operational handlers on shore when they sighted land unexpectedly or report the mechanical failure.
    Task Force 56, the riverine squadron’s immediate superior in 5th Fleet, tasked the sailors beyond their capabilities and limitations and fostered a “can do/will do” culture.
    The tactical operations center charged with tracking the transit failed to do so and reacted poorly when things started going wrong.

    We would train for months before we became operational at our posts on the border so that every private knew how to respond to every single situation they might encounter, it doesn’t look like the Navy took their mission in the Gulf as seriously. We’d spend hours rehearsing our operations and doing map exercises, but it doesn’t appear that the sailors and their leadership cared too much about being successful in that regard. Especially since they should have known that Iran was just praying for a situation exactly like this to earn some points with the media.

    This was a failure of leadership, plain and simple. All the way up to the office that cut off funding for proper training.

  • More Navy uniform changes

    160803-N-RY232-002  WASHINGTON (Aug. 3, 2016) The Dept. of the Navy announced that it will transition from the Navy Working Uniform (NWU) Type I to the NWU Type III as its primary shore working uniform. While, the NWU Type I will be phased out over the next three years, effective Oct. 1, 2019, all Sailors will be expected to wear the NWU Type III as their primary Working Uniform when ashore or in port.  (U.S. Navy photo illustration by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Julia A. Casper/Released)
    160803-N-RY232-002
    WASHINGTON (Aug. 3, 2016) The Dept. of the Navy announced that it will transition from the Navy Working Uniform (NWU) Type I to the NWU Type III as its primary shore working uniform. While, the NWU Type I will be phased out over the next three years, effective Oct. 1, 2019, all Sailors will be expected to wear the NWU Type III as their primary Working Uniform when ashore or in port. (U.S. Navy photo illustration by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Julia A. Casper/Released)

    The Navy Times called the “Type 1” uniform that the Navy adopted a few short years ago “the dumbest uniform ever”. I disagree – the ladies looked real good in that uniform, I don’t know if it was the style or the colors, it was just attractive on the women, to me anyway.

    This from the Navy;

    Over the next three years, Sailors may wear either the NWU Type I or III, but effective Oct. 1, 2019, all Sailors will be expected to wear the NWU Type III as their primary Working Uniform when ashore or in port.

    While the Navy is developing an incremental regional fielding plan for the NWU Type III, this transition period will give Sailors time to prepare for the change and allow them to get maximum wear out of recently purchased NWU Type I uniforms.

    For those of you who love Ray Mabus, these uniform discussions have been the focus of his time as the Navy Secretary, because it’s easier to make uniform decisions than it is to fight a war;

  • USS Harvey Milk

    USS Harvey Milk

    John-Lewis-Class-Oiler

    We told you more than four years ago that Ray Mabus had run out of names of heroic former Navy/Marine Corps folks for ships’ names and he was considering naming one after gay rights icon Harvey Milk. Well, USNI News reports that day is here;

    The July 14, 2016 notification, signed by Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus, indicated he intended to name a planned Military Sealift Command fleet oiler USNS Harvey Milk (T-AO-206). The ship would be the second of the John Lewis-class oilers being built by General Dynamics NASSCO in San Diego, Calif.

    The Secretary of the Navy’s office is deferring releasing additional information until the naming announcement, a Navy official told USNI News on Thursday.

    Mabus has said the John Lewis-class – named after civil rights activist and congressman Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) – would be named after civil rights leaders.

    Naming a ship after Milk, “will further send a green light to all the brave men and women who serve our nation that honesty, acceptance and authenticity are held up among the highest ideals of our military,” said Milk’s nephew Stuart Milk in a statement to San Diego LGBT Weekly in 2012.

  • Joseph Decker, USS Oklahoma City’s chief of boat canned

    Joseph Decker, USS Oklahoma City’s chief of boat canned

    Master Chief Machinist's Mate (Weapons) Joseph Decker

    Bobo sends us a link to the Navy Times which reports that Master Chief Machinist’s Mate (Weapons) Joseph Decker, Chief of Boat on the submarine USS Oklahoma City was fired “due to poor leadership”.

    “He was relieved for a consistent pattern of ineffective leadership at the deckplate level,” Cmdr. Corey Barker, a Submarine Force Pacific spokesman, said Wednesday. “Master Chief Decker was not relieved for misconduct.”

    Decker, who took over as COB in April 2015, is the seventh submarine leader fired from his post this year.

    Barker characterized Decker’s relief as “administrative in nature” but also said he faces “further administrative actions,” though Barker was not at liberty to discuss what those actions could be.