Category: Navy

  • Navy makes posting private nude photos a crime

    In response to the recent scandal regarding the posting of nude photos on various social media platforms, the Navy and the Marine Corps announced that practice is now a crime, according to the Navy Times;

    An interim revision to Navy regulations prohibits Navy and Marine Corps personnel from posting intimate photos “if the person making the distribution or broadcast does so without legal justification or excuse,” the regulation reads.

    The statute details three conditions that will be considered a violation of Navy regulations, including if images are broadcast or transmitted: “with the intent to realize personal gain; with the intent to humiliate, harm, harass, intimidate, threaten, or coerce the depicted person; or with reckless disregard as to whether the depicted person would be humiliated, harmed, intimidated, threatened, or coerced,” the regs read.

    […]

    “The addition of Article 1168 ‘Nonconsensual distribution or broadcasting of an image’ to Navy Regulations serves to underscore leadership’s commitment to eliminating degrading behaviors that erode trust and weaken the Navy and Marine Corps Team,” said Rear Adm. Dawn Cutler in statement Wednesday evening. “It provides commanders another tool to maintain good order and discipline by holding Sailors and Marines accountable for inappropriate conduct in the nonconsensual sharing of intimate imagery.

    “This article adds the potential charge of Article 92 ‘Failure to obey [an] order or regulation’ to the possible charges that can be used against an alleged perpetrator. Each case of alleged misconduct will be evaluated on its own facts and circumstances.”

    So, if somewhere in your tiny brain, you thought it would be OK to post nude pictures of other people in a public forum, maybe this will convince you otherwise. Or maybe it will just inspire the sociopaths to find a way around the law.

  • Carl Vinson strike group not near Korea

    Carl Vinson strike group not near Korea

    Last week, we mentioned that the USS Carl Vinson and it’s attendant strike group were steaming towards the Korean peninsula to add meat to a warning to the North Koreans. The Leftist media wrung it’s hands at the prospect of the president leading us into World War III with the provocative deployment. Well, the New York Times now notices that the carrier group is nowhere near Korea;

    The story of the wayward carrier might never have come to light had the Navy not posted a photo online Monday of the Carl Vinson sailing south through the Sunda Strait, which separates the Indonesian islands of Java and Sumatra. It was taken on Saturday, four days after the White House press secretary, Sean Spicer, described its mission in the Sea of Japan.

    Now, the Carl Vinson is finally on a course for the Korean Peninsula, expected to arrive in the region next week, according to Defense Department officials. White House officials declined to comment on the confusion, referring questions to the Pentagon. “Sean discussed it once when asked, and it was all about process,” a spokesman, Michael Short, said of Mr. Spicer.

    So they’ll be a few days late.

    The Vice president assures us that the announcement of the strike group headed for Korea wasn’t intentional, according to Politico;

    Asked during an interview with CNN if the misstatements from White House and Pentagon officials had been intentional, Pence replied “oh, I think not” and noted the already strong U.S. military presence in the Asia-Pacific region, including in Japan and South Korea. He did not offer an explanation as to why government officials had said the Carl Vinson was steaming for the Sea of Japan when it was not.

  • Spicer reports for duty

    Spicer reports for duty

    CBS News reports that they spotted Trump White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer when he reported for drill this weekend at the Pentagon in uniform;

    Spicer, a commander in the Navy Reserve, is currently assigned to the Joint Staff’s naval reserve contingent in D.C. He joined the reserve in 1999, and graduated with a master’s degree in national security and strategic studies from the Naval War College in 2012. Spicer in the past has worked as a media planner for joint exercises in Guam, Germany and Sweden, and oversaw media coverage of Navy operations at McMurdo Station in Antarctica, according to the Military Times.

    The Spicer sighting comes as President Donald Trump is away at his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, weighing the possibility of intervening in North Korea if that country tests its nuclear program in the days ahead.

  • Where do we get such men?

    The San Diego Tribune is reporting that a Navy SEAL Chief petty Officer has been hitting more than just the bad guys for several years:

    Navy Chief Special Warfare Officer Joseph John Schmidt III has been living dual lives.
    As a member of the Navy SEALs, the 42-year-old boasts a chest of ribbons and medals during his 23 years in the military, including a valor citation for combat overseas. To his East County neighbors and Coronado shipmates, he’s been the married father who has given pep talks to special-needs children in Los Angeles and toured the country recruiting for the elite Naval Special Warfare teams, even serving as the face of the SEAL program on its website.

    Schmidt is also Jay Voom, the actor in at least 29 porn flicks during the past seven years, from “Apple Smashing Lap Dance” to “Strippers Come Home Horny From the Club.”

    He has spent most of his time in front of the camera engaging in sex with his wife — porn megastar Jewels Jade — for her website and film-distribution service. But he also has coupled with XXX actresses Mena Li and Ashden Wells, according to marketing materials found by The San Diego Union-Tribune and confirmed by Jade.

    Schmidt declined to comment for this story.

    OK, let the wisecracks begin…

  • Navy Capt. Alan Damian Dorrbecker faces charges of tickle monstery

    Navy Capt. Alan Damian Dorrbecker faces charges of tickle monstery

    Military.com reports that Navy Captain Alan Damian Dorrbecker, a submarine warfare officer assigned to Submarine Force Atlantic, is going to a court martial for attempting to seduce and sexually assault a child under the age of 16 back in 2015;

    On two separate occasions, once in November and once in December 2015, Dorrbecker is accused of meeting the victim without her parents’ knowledge and attempting to commit multiple sexual acts on her. He used his government-issued Blackberry phone to arrange the meeting, the charge sheet alleges.

    Dorrbecker’s alleged activities “disgraced him personally and seriously compromised his standing as a Naval Officer,” the document states.

    According to the article, he had commanded the submarine USS Greeneville from 2007-2009 and he worked in the office of the Chief of Naval Operations.

    Thanks to Bobo and Jeff for the link.

  • Navy Instructor Pilots “On Strike”?

    Well, that’s the way one media firm (Fox News) phrased it in the intro to an online video  – IMO somewhat misleadingly.  But while “on strike” may overstate the issue, it does roughly describe what’s going on.  Sort of.

    What is going on is that apparently approximately 100 Navy Instructor Pilots in their flight training program have refused to fly training missions recently.  Their justification for doing so is ongoing – and apparently worsening – problems with the T-45 Goshawk trainer aircraft’s oxygen system.

    The problems cause incidents of hypoxia during flight without warning.  The issue has caused the loss of at least one aircraft recently – last August, near NAS Kingsville in Texas – and has also caused multiple other recent incidents.  Two flight instructors characterized the frequency of such incidents as happening approximately 3 times weekly.

    This Fox article has more details.  IMO it’s worth a read.

  • A Rebuttal

    A Rebuttal

    To those of you complaining about my deeming Brian Losey a coward: I stand by what I said. I will not retract it, nor will I apologize.

    There is enough corruption in this world to fill an encyclopedia. It’s visible in the news every day, in every part of society, and that includes law enforcement and the military. How many officers were slammed in the Fat Leonard business? How many senior NCOs and GOs have been caught with their pants down for abusing subordinates? How many cops have been charged with criminal and civil complaints over their behavior? How many politicians in office have been busted and dismissed or still hold office?

    I did not base what I said on a newspaper article. I said what I said based on the DoD IG report, to wit: “We concluded that RDML Losey viewed the complaint as a personal attack against him
    and reprised against Complainant in violation of Title 10, United States Code, Section 1034, as
    implemented by DoD Directive 7050.06, “Military Whistleblower Protection.” “Losey was “livid” after receiving the complaint, and he called him into his office and told him to deliver a message to “the locker room” and tell them to: “play nice and wait until I’m gone. Smile. Act like you’re going to work … but if you continue to undermine my authority as a commander, I’m going to bury each one of them. I’m going to come after them and I’m going to make it very unpleasant.”
    The IG’s conclusion:

    “VII. CONCLUSION

    We conclude, based on a preponderance of the evidence, that RDML Losey relieved
    Complainant from his position as [redacted] and failed to place him in another position
    commensurate with his rank, in reprisal because he suspected Complainant of filing an IG
    complaint against him, in violation of 10 U.S.C. 1034

    Note that Losey decided this individual was at fault without proof, based solely on his own suspicions. As indicated in the DoDIG report, when he met with the Complainant and asked him if he was the whistleblower and the Complainant said he was not, Losey refused to believe that and removed him from his position, subsequently transferring him elsewhere.

    To see someone at Losey’s level of seniority engage in personal revenge against any subordinates because he simply suspected anyone of filing an anonymous complaint for his misuse of travel regs, with no real evidence beyond his own suspicions – which is what he did per the DoD IG report — shows a serious lack of integrity and a bullying personality that seems to have been hidden from most of the people who worked with him.

    He went ballistic over an anonymous whistleblower. He used his position of authority to try to damage someone whom he singled out over the report of a petty error on his part, even though the object of his ire had nothing to do with blowing the whistle on him. That is unacceptable behavior in anyone at his level.

    Abuse of authority by those in positions of authority is unacceptable, period. I expect better. I have a right to expect better. At Losey’s level, I expect integrity, which he has clearly demonstrated that he lacks.

    This member of the Admiralty knew better, but ignored morality. He reacted exactly the same as a drunken 300-pound Chicago cop who beat the crap out of a female bartender when she refused to serve him any more liquor – because he had a badge and a gun, so he could do that and get away with it.

    Before you say ‘oh, that’s different’, no. It is exactly the same thing. It is an abuse of authority to get your own way. Period. Losey abused his authority. There is no question of that.

    Cowardice comes in many forms. It is not related solely to war zones or military decorations. Any abuse of power or authority is the act of a bully and a coward.

    If you don’t recognize that, you are not paying attention.

    I stand by what I said.

  • Navy defies Congress and promotes Brian L. Losey

    Navy defies Congress and promotes Brian L. Losey

    Rear Admiral Brian L. Losey was promoted to that rank after he retired November 1, 2016 by the Navy in defiance of members of Congress that had opposed the promotion because of Losey’s search for the person who had ratted him out for a minor abuse of travel regulations. This is from a Washington Post article dated October 2015;

    Rear Adm. Brian L. Losey was investigated five times by the Defense Department’s inspector general after subordinates complained that he had wrongly fired, demoted or punished them during a vengeful but fruitless hunt for the person who had anonymously reported him for a minor travel-policy infraction, according to documents obtained by The Washington Post.

    The Navy was bound and determined to promote the SEAL commander, though. According to a newer Washington Post article, Ray Mabus, the Navy Secretary approved Losey’s promotion in his final days in office;

    The documents obtained by The Post, however, show that Mabus later reopened the case. On Jan. 12, during his last week in office as an Obama political appointee, Mabus signed a memo boosting Losey’s rank from a one-star to a two-star admiral.

    Losey, 56, will stay retired, but the documents show that his promotion will benefit him financially for the rest of his life.

    His higher rank entitles him to a bigger annual military pension. It will swell to about $142,000 this year, an increase of $16,700, according to Defense Department figures.

    He will also receive a one-time check for about $70,000 in back pay because the Navy dated his promotion retroactively to the date when he first became eligible for a second star.

    He gets a pay raise which is equal to many enlisted retirees’ pensions. I’m not making a judgement as to whether the Admiral deserves the promotion or not, but it’s typical that the taxpayers are getting screwed with no real benefit to their extra 16 grand a year.

    Thanks to Chief Tango for the tip.