Category: Breaking News

  • Cody gets an escort

    Remember Cody Alicea who I wrote about last week? Cody was forbidden by his school to display the flag on his bicycle when he comes to school. Well apparently he got escorted to school this morning;

    When he rode from his home to school on Monday, he was followed by a parade of people on motorcycles. A military jet flyover was also expected.

    “I’d just like to say thanks for the support,” Alicea said before his ride.

    There’s a video and interview with the 13-year-old at this link.

    The school claims they got calls from troops in Afghanistan.

    Thanks to TSO for the link.

  • Shots fired at CG recruiting station in Woodbridge, VA

    Initial reports are sketchy;

    It’s unclear exactly when this happened.

    Police are on the scene at this time.

    The office is close to Potomac Mills Mall.

    This makes now the fifth shooting at a military facility since October 17th.

    It’s not clear if the incident is related to shots fired at the Pentagon, the USMC Museum and a Marine recruiter station in Chantilly, VA. More to follow.

  • North Korea fires shots at neighbor

    There are very skimpy reports that North Korea has fired two artillery rounds towards it’s neighbor, South Korea. Reports are that South Korea has returned fire.

    North Korea has the fifth largest army in the world with a force of 1.2 million men and twenty percent of the working age male population. They have over 17,000 artillery pieces, mostly pointed at the South.

  • Pentagon and Quantico shootings related

    The FBI has connected the shootings earlier this month, one at the Pentagon and another at the Marine Corps Museum on Quantico. The link seems to be that the weapon used in both incidents are the same gun. The FBI is also investigating whether or not a similar shooting at a Marine recruiting station in Chantilly, VA.

    From Stars & Stripes;

    “Investigative evidence has confirmed that shots fired at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Triangle, Va., and the Pentagon in Arlington, Va., involved a single weapon,” a bureau news release said. “Ballistics testing is underway for an overnight shooting that took place on Oct. 25 or Oct. 26 at the Marine Corps Recruiting Station in Chantilly, Va.”

    The FBI declined to release further information, such as the type of weapon or caliber of ammunition used “to preserve the integrity of investigative efforts.”

    Apparently the brave sniper shot at the Museum and Pentagon buildings from a couple of hundred meters away as they sped down adjacent interstate highways.

  • Shots fired at Pentagon

    Apparently, at about 5am someone fired shots at the Pentagon. I read the article from the Associated Press earlier, but I was waiting for confirmation beyond the rumor that AP published. Well, Fox News has confirmed it on the air, but the AP story is gone. *shrug* You tell me.

    There’ll be a press conference later says Martha McCallum (sigh). More to come.

    Link to WTOP.

    Press conference at 11:30

    Jennifer Griffin said that shots were fired at Quantico Saturday in a similar manner.

    From CNN;

    Shots were fired at the Pentagon early Tuesday, authorities said, striking a window of the building.

    Pentagon police spokesman Chris Layman said it’s not known who fired the shots. Pentagon police officers heard at least five shots around 4:50 a.m., Layman added.

    According to another Pentagon Force Protection Agency spokesman, Terry Sutherland, two bullets hit the Pentagon on the south side of the building — one striking a window and the other hitting the building itself. This is an unoccupied part of the building that is being renovated.

    Dipshits.

  • Oh look at the Current Suspect.

    Yep the same guy, Bradley Manning that leaked the video about the 2007 firefight, is one of the main suspects in finding who leaked the new documents to the press.

    The Wall Street Journal reported that military investigators are checking computers used by Manning to see if he is the source of the trove of documents released by WikiLeaks.

    Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell told Fox News the department wants to find out who originally leaked the information to “make sure there’s not any more coming.” He said it remains to be seen whether any action will be taken against those involved in the leak.

    So not only has these additional documents have been leaked there is a possibility that more might be on the way. Great, this is getting better and better. Perhaps we should bring these back again.

    ADDED: Sporkmaster

    Seems that there is more info about him that is coming out.

  • Los Zetas invade, seize common sense

    I’ve been getting this story for two days about Los Zetas from Nuevo Laredo, Mexico crossing the border and seizing two US ranches. The mails all cite to the Examiner. No, it’s not the Examiner to which we’re all accustomed, it’s some other Examiner.

    They also cite to something called the Cypress Times. The Examiner amd the Cypress Times all cite to Digger’s Realm which cites back to the Examiner.

    Confederate Yankee got tired of all of the confusion and called the cops;

    [SGT Perez of the Laredo PD] also provided me the number of the Webb County Sheriff’s Department. The deputy that answered the phone there was less amused, having also dealt with this rumor multiple times in a short amount of time. She also told me that there was no invasion and no law enforcement siege, and that deputies were continuing normal operations.

    Of course, that’s not enough to convince Mr. Digger. This is from his comments at CY;

    You want to know why [The Examiner’s] story and mine match up? Some of my initial breaking story relied on some of her info and her info relied on the info I had put together earlier on the Los Zetas.

    Yeah, two sources hundreds of miles from the scene quoting from each other on “research” – I don’t see any problem with that.

    Their main “evidence” is that the media isn’t reporting about it. Yeah, I wouldn’t buy that even if it came with a coupon for a free Camaro.

    I think the first question I asked myself when I first read the story was “Why?” Why would Los Zetas invade the US and occupy two ranches? It’s an untenable position given the fact that we’ve toppled a couple of governments clear around the world in a matter of hours…what could possibly prevent us from prying a couple of cholos from a few ranches? Why would said cholos even want a few ranches in Texas?

    Some bloggers I respect have bought the story – I don’t. Some of the commenters in CY are twisting themselves in knots trying verify the story with peripherally-related stories from days ago about gunfire in Nuevo Laredo. Some people just want to believe so badly that the Mexicans are invading under the force of arms and that the Obama Administration is letting them, everything is evidence.

    I may be wrong, but given the “evidence”, I think I’d rather be wrong than right about this one. Toothless Dawg wrote to tell us that the story is false according to a friend in Laredo who says everything is calm there.

    This post isn’t to disparage the people who sent me links to this…keep your links coming. I don’t slap your links up until I check the background. Obviously everything is blog post.

  • It’s About #$&*^% Time!

    The house “ethics” Committee voted yesterday to put Charlie Rengal on trial for ethics violations.  Not the speediest of events, the trial will be in about two months.  On the other hand, it’s a lot faster than the decision to try Rangel at all.

    Rangel (D-N.Y.) has been under the House ethics committee’s microscope since early 2008 after it was reported that he may have used his House position to benefit his financial interests. Two of the most serious inquiries have focused on Rangel’s failure to declare $239,000 to $831,000 in assets on his disclosure forms, and on his effort to raise money for a private center named after him at City College of New York using his congressional letterhead.

    So, in 2008 it was widely known that he was using his position in congress for his own gain, but allowed to stay there for two friggin’ years?  Well, at least he wasn’t taking gifts from people with business before congress or in a powerful position where he could inflict damage on the country.  Oh, wait, my bad.

    In March, Rangel reluctantly stepped down as chairman of the Ways and Means Committee — a week after the ethics panel ruled in a separate case that he had broken congressional gift rules by accepting trips to conferences in the Caribbean that were financed by corporate interests. The panel said that, at a minimum, Rangel’s staff knew about the corporate backing for the 2007 and 2008 trips — and that the congressman was therefore responsible.

    My question is why isn’t Rangel facing charges in federal court instead of the house?  Of course, he is in good company.

    It has been eight years since the House last opened such proceedings against a member. That happened when Jim Traficant (D-Ohio) rejected the ethics committee’s findings that he violated rules. He was later expelled by his peers. Before that, the last member expelled was Michael Myers (D-Pa.), removed by his colleagues in 1980 as a result of the Abscam scandal.

    We can only hope that a similar fate awaits Charlie.  At 80, I doubt he can launch a recovery effort like Traficant has.