Category: Big Pentagon

  • Sexual assault in the military declines

    The Washington Post print as facts some stupid report from the Pentagon which is based on pure speculation. Take this paragraph for example;

    Statistics released Monday show that 6,172 sexual assaults were reported in fiscal 2016, up from 6,083 in 2015 and 6,131 in 2014, the report said. The figures include everything from groping to rape, and is still believed to represent progress because a Pentagon survey found that the frequency with which a sexual assault victim reports an attack has increased from about 1 in 14 in 2006 to about 1 in 3 last year. That ratio was about 1 in 4 the year before.

    How do they know that the frequency that victims report sexual battery has improved? I mean, if it’s not reported, how does anyone know that it happened at all? It’s because of a survey;

    The Pentagon arrived at its findings both by compiling sexual assault reports and carrying out a survey in which more than 150,000 of the Defense Department’s 1.2 million men and 227,000 women responded. The survey found that about 14,900 sexual assaults of some kind occurred in 2016, down from about 34,000 in 2006.

    Everyone always tells the truth in surveys. How many of those surveyed were in the military eleven years ago?

    And there’s this gem;

    Women remain at a greater risk of sexual assault in the military because about 85 percent of the force is made up of men….

    I suppose that all men tend to commit sexual assault, so if we recruit more women into the military, that will tilt the scales in their favor.

    It’s not the military culture that causes sexual assault, it’s the popular culture that worships at the alter of the mistreatment of women. I’ll wager that women in the military are safer than they would be if they were on a college campus – and less than 50% of college students are men.

    I guess the social justice warriors in the Pentagon want to prove their value to the bureaucrats.

    Thanks to Chief Tango for the link.

  • Photo-sharing extends outside the Marine Corps

    According to Fox News and BBC, they’ve uncovered more photo-sharing websites besides the now-defunct Marines United Facebook page which reportedly posted photos of female servicemembers in various stages of undress. From Fox News;

    Male service members from all military branches have been sharing nude photos of women on an anonymous website called Anon-IB, BBC reported Friday.

    The servicemen allegedly post photographs of clothed female colleagues and ask anyone on the message board if they have any “wins” – the term used for nude photos, according to BBC.

    “Any wright patt wins? I’ll start off with some,” one anonymous user posted on the message board, referring to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio.

    From BBC;

    Although the Marines United Facebook group has now closed, there are at least half a dozen similar groups or sites, Marine officials told CBS News.

    The Senate Armed Services Committee is due to hold a hearing on the issue next week.

    The Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) has launched an investigation and has asked whistleblowers to come forward with information.

    From CBS News;

    CBS News has learned the investigation has spread to all branches of the military.

    The website titled Anon-IB first gained notoriety for publishing nude photos of celebrities like Jennifer Lawrence. But it also contains a message board for military personnel where men from all branches of the military exchange comments and nude photos of female service members, sometimes identifying them by name and/or duty station.

    Maybe they can bring back Marty Dempsey and he can teach the Pentagon how they can look the other way.

    Thanks to Mick for the links.

  • “Call me Chaos”

    “Call me Chaos”

    Independent Journal Review journalist, Benny Johnson got a chance to bump into Defense Secretary James Mattis the other day and do an impromptu interview;

    “When I go down to get my laundry in the basement, I factor in ten extra minutes every trip just so I can talk with people. Ya know, they see me coming down the hallway and want to ask something, they should be able to. We work just like a family.”

    I asked the Secretary of Defense if he actually does his own laundry at the Pentagon. “Well, yes,” he said, looking at me as though it would be strange if he did not do his own laundry

    When asked why he carries his own luggage, Mattis responded; “Well, I have two hands, don’t I?”

    His aide was pulling him in another direction and I sensed this would be the final question, so I asked if anyone in the Pentagon calls him ‘Mad Dog.” He paused and said:

    You know, that is not my real call sign? That was something made up by the press. Some reporter, who needed a quick name for me. My real name is Chaos. “Colonel Has An Outstanding Solution.” That is my real call sign and what my men used to call me. Anyone who has ever worked with me calls me Chaos. That’s the name I prefer.

    I stood there, shellshocked from Mattis’s response. The Secretary of Defense leaned in toward me and said, “Call me Chaos,” winked, and walked away.

  • Thornberry; Obama holdovers thwart Mattis’ attempts to rebuild Pentagon

    The Daily Caller reports that Chairman of the House Committee on Armed Services Mac Thornberry told the media that Defense Secretary James Mattis is having trouble rebuilding the military because of Obama holdovers;

    “I am concerned that … to fix these problems [it] is going to take a lot more money, and yet a lot of the folks who are coming up with the budget to fix them are the same people who have been fighting every step of the way against our efforts to fix these problems,”

    […]

    Thornberry emphasized that Mattis can’t solve the problem by himself, and that the slow process of filling defense roles at the Pentagon is preventing the Trump administration from fulfilling its promise to rebuild the military. He also said the issue goes beyond budgets, and that the U.S. has a moral obligation to support the troops.

    That’s no surprise, and it’s why Mattis was hired for the job. I expect Mattis to erect gallows in the Pentagon parking lot. Or guillotines.

    It’s the way things work; the Left dismantles the defense structure so they can feel good about themselves hoping that the Right will rebuild it.

    Thanks to Mick for the link.

  • Mattis warns NATO allies to pay for their own defense

    Mattis warns NATO allies to pay for their own defense

    US Secretary of Defense James Mattis warned our fellow NATO members that they need to pay a more proportionate amount for their own defense, according to the Military Times;

    Echoing a demand made repeatedly by President Donald Trump, Mattis said NATO must adopt a plan this year that sets milestone dates for governments to meet a military funding goal of 2 percent of gross domestic product.

    The Pentagon chief called it a “fair demand” based on the “political reality” in Washington.

    “No longer can the American taxpayer carry a disproportionate share of the defense of Western values,” Mattis told the alliance’s 27 other defense ministers, according to a text of his remarks. “Americans cannot care more for your children’s future security than you do.”

    It’s a sentiment that is coming to the public decades late.

  • Vets might get to shop at Exchange online

    A couple of readers are excited that they might be able to shop at the Military Exchange system on line soon. From Military.com;

    After two years of study and debate, the Department of Defense has made a policy change, effective next November, to allow 16 million honorably discharged veterans to shop online for discounted military exchange products.

    Peter K. Levine, acting undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, signed a memorandum Wednesday announcing the benefit expansion, effective Veterans’ Day Nov. 11, and giving Congress the required 30 days’ notice before actions begin to implement the plan.

    Months of preparation are needed to make e-shopping portals more robust and to allow the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC) time to create software for verifying veterans’ status using Department of Veterans Affairs records.

    It’s really not that big of a deal. Area Exchange managers raise their prices to match those outside the gates of military bases – the only real benefit is that instead of paying state taxes, you’re paying the same amount to support the Morale and Welfare funds, or UPS. It’s not the PX/BX that you remember. It’s really just another way that the Pentagon can rake in veterans’ money.

    The only reason I ever shopped there was to screw O’Malley out of tax revenue in Maryland.

  • Pentagon reconsiders plan to recoup bonuses

    According to AFP the Pentagon is reconsidering the way it will recoup Iraq War bonuses from National Guard troops. You’ll remember that initially it was a situation where troops had to prove their innocence after the bonuses were recovered and about 17,000 Guardsmen were targeted to be involved in the process;

    About 1,000 soldiers will have to present their case and argue over whether their debt should be forgiven.

    “Most of the cases in which we’ll be recouping will actually be cases in which the soldiers did not fulfill their commitment,” Levine said.

    “There will be some cases in which we have fraud or evidence of fraud or knowledge or should’ve known.

    “But most of the cases in which we’ll be recouping, we will be recouping because the soldier didn’t fulfill their commitment.”

  • Warrior Monk for Secretary of Defense

    Warrior Monk for Secretary of Defense

    James Mattis

    You’ve been begging for this for years – James Mattis will be nominated for the Secretary of Defense according to Fox News;

    At a rally in Cincinnati, Trump described Mattis as “one of our great, great generals” and added that a formal announcement would be made Monday, “so don’t tell anybody.”

    “They say he’s the closest thing to Gen. George Patton that we have,” Trump told the crowd,”and it’s about time. It’s about time.”

    A source close to Trump told Fox News that the president-elect’s decision to divulge the Mattis pick at the rally was a surprise. Transition sources had repeatedly described Mattis as the favorite for the defense secretary position, but stressed the choice had not been formally made.

    From his Wiki;

    During his service years, Mattis was considered to be an intellectual among the upper ranks, with his personal library numbering more than 7,000 volumes. Major General Robert H. Scales, Retired, PhD, described him as “….one of the most urbane and polished men I have known.” Reinforcing this intellectual persona was the fact he carried his own personal copy of the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius throughout his deployments.

    The web is jam-packed with Mattis quotes like ‘There are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot’ and ‘There are some people who think you have to hate them in order to shoot them. I don’t think you do.’ He’s plain-spoken and doesn’t seem to care if anyone likes him or not. He would have made a good first sergeant.

    He doesn’t make policy, but he will be a valuable asset for the troops and National Security in the President’s cabinet.

    The word is that Ray Mabus has gone to his safe place until January.