Author: AW1Ed

  • Tuesday Feel Good Stories

    glocks flag

    With video- caution may be disturbing to children and anti-gun proponents, but for different reasons.
    WATCH: Kidnapping Suspect Opens Fire on Police, Takes Fatal Head Shot
    AWR Hawkins
     

    A kidnapping suspect with multiple warrants opened fire on Ogden, Utah, police Friday and was quickly killed with a head shot.

    The Salt Lake Tribune reports that the suspect, 37-year-old Richard Galvan, “held a woman he had previously dated hostage for much of the day before abandoning her minutes before his fatal confrontation with police.”

    Ogden police Chief Randy Watt said the woman awoke to Galvan in her home and that he shifted between “homicidal and suicidal” talk while holding her. Later in the day he forced her to drive him to the downtown area, where he got out of the car and walked away from the woman.

    The woman sped off, found an officer, told him of the kidnapping and warned him that Galvan was armed in the downtown area.

    Police were able to locate Galvan on surveillance cameras and when an officer approached, Galvin turned away then quickly spun around and opened fire. Galvan missed and was immediately shot in the head, thereafter collapsing lifelessly to the ground.

    The entire article may be viewed at Breitbart News

    I suppose a Mozambique Drill is a bit much to expect, but Mom did just fine anyway.
    Police: Detroit woman getting ready for church shoots, kills man during home invasion
    Fatima Bangura

    DETROIT (WXYZ) – Detroit police are investigating a home invasion turned fatal shooting on Mark Twain Street Sunday morning.

    According to officers, around 10:30 a.m., a mother and daughter were getting ready to leave their home for church when an unknown man approached and tried grabbing one of them.

    The mother and daughter then went back inside their home, but the suspect “forced his way inside,” according to police.

    The 55-year-old mother then retrieved a gun and fired two shots at the suspect, hitting him at least once in the chest. Medics pronounced him dead at the scene.

    Police say the shooting was in self-defense and no arrests will be made.

    Read the rest of the article here at WXYZ Detroit

  • Guest Post by Perry Gaskins


    They sent me this secret invisibility formula. Take this stuff
    and we can walk right out of here. You go first…

    Hacker, Interrupted

    Julian Assange has lost his cat.

    As part of an apparent downward spiral marking his years holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, things for the Australian über hacker, alleged Pfc. Bradley Manning co-conspirator, and Wikileaks founder have continued to go from bad to more bad. Among other things, current Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno, who considers Assange an inherited problem amounting to “more than a nuisance” has recently been annoyed by the fact Assange has been using embassy internet access to tweet support for Catalan independence which amounts to flipping the finger at Spain. Something Moreno would like to avoid.

    Evidently things got testy when the embassy cut off Assange’s internet access in March, and also let him know they were not amused he didn’t clean up after his cat. Assange’s own version of the cat controversy, according to an Italian newspaper account:

    Even the cat that once kept him company and “diffused tension” is gone, according to La Repubblica. “Assange preferred to spare the cat an isolation which has become unbearable and allow it a healthier life.”

    For those marking the calendar, it’s been eight years this week that Assange’s cyber bad boy career started to tank. It was on December 7, 2010 that Assange surrendered himself to British custody as the result of sexual assault charges by two women in Sweden. One of women victims apparently having said she objected to a close encounter of the Wikileaks kind if it didn’t involve use of a prophylactic.

    A few days later, with help from supporters, Assange was able to make more than $350,000 in bail. And for awhile, things weren’t so bad. There were the speaking gigs, the awards from a fawning news media and social justice groups, even talk of a movie deal. But the legal appeals to fight extradition to Sweden eventually all failed, and by June 2012 Assange sought asylum in the Ecuadorian Embassy where he now lives in a converted office with bars on the windows. As a result of the bail jumping to avoid showing up in court, the British government initially assigned police sentries to keep Assange from slipping out, but the cops were withdrawn a couple of years later.

    Also withdrawn as of last year were those pesky rape charges which made Assange dash into the embassy one step ahead of the posse in the first place. Part of the reason was due to legal statutes of limitations running out, another apparent part was that the Swedes simply got tired of Assange’s act. It’s probably reasonable to now wonder, if those charges have been dropped, what keeps Assange in his room? The answer, more likely than not, involves both legal nuance and politics.

    When Pfc. Bradley Manning was convicted of espionage, it was the result of stealing classified material from a secure facility at Forward Operating Base Hammer near Baghdad in Iraq. Among the first items Manning passed along to Wikileaks was video footage of an attack by helicopter gunships which came to be titled “Collateral Murder.”

    If Manning had come across the gunship video during his normal duties, he might have been able to later escape a harsh sentence by claiming to be a whistleblower. But later, by the time he was passing hundreds of thousands of cables he hadn’t read, he had crossed over into espionage.

    During the course of passing around all the secret stuff, evidence from chat logs between Manning and Assange indicate a strange relationship. Manning, a neurotic outcast at FOB Hammer, wanted a pal which led to apparent increased efforts to please Assange. There’s never been any evidence Assange warned Manning about what he was doing. Assange also seems to have taken it right to the edge of being an active participant in Manning’s thievery without crossing a thin line. Such as being coy about providing Manning with cracker code to break into even more systems.

    One of the things also making the prosecution of Assange tricky is the precedent of a 2001 Supreme Court decision, Bartnicki v. Vopper, which decided that 1st Amendment protections for the news media apply even if the published material is from a source that obtained it illegally.

    And such a court ruling raises yet another question: Should Wikileaks actually qualify as news media? According to Ben Laurie, a software engineer who sits on the Wikileaks board, the organization can best be described as an “open-source, democratic intelligence agency.” It can be argued in the Manning case that its main function was to act as a conduit for stolen classified documents, and not as a publisher in any conventional sense.

    Assange’s situation might have improved in more recent days except for a shift in political winds. Back in the days of still living large, for example, he hosted a television show on Russia Today, and had the support of Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, among others.

    Such support has evidently led to current allegations that Russian intelligence services were ultimately responsible for the Democratic Party nightmare of Wikileaks revelations close to the 2016 election. Those about Hillary Clinton’s personal email server, the DNC’s efforts to sandbag Bernie Sander’s campaign, and so forth.

    Which means a lot of the news media is now having a difficult time buying into the notion that hackers are also just journalists fighting for truth, justice, and freedom from condoms.

    A more recent development, so far unconfirmed, is that Assange met three times with Paul Manafort, a one-time President Trump associate, who is now a target of the Robert Mueller investigation. But then, it’s probably fair to ask, who isn’t a target of the Mueller investigation?

    CIA Director Mike Pompeo last year also called WikiLeaks “a non-state hostile intelligence service,” and there are now rumors of a sealed indictment with a laundry list of charges against Assange including espionage, conspiracy, theft or conversion of U. S. government property, and violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

    So Assange sits in his room likely waiting for a knock at the door, passing his days still weaving a web of intrigue, one keystroke at a time, based on a hacker ethic known only to himself.

    No friends. No movie deal. No cat.

  • Monday Feel Good Stories

    flag snubbie

    But thanks for playing.
    Self-defense argument rejected in shooting over fireworks.
    AP News

    LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) A man who shot a teenager as several people shot fireworks at him will not be able to claim self-defense during his upcoming trial.

    Twenty-year-old Rashan Gill, of Lawrence, is scheduled to go on trial Jan. 14 for criminal discharge of a weapon.

    The Lawrence Journal-World reports Gill is accused of shooting at a group of people who were firing Roman candle fireworks at him and his apartment on July 5. One of the shots hit a 17-year-old girl who was in the group’s car. She suffered serious injuries but survived.

    Gill’s attorney planned to use Kansas’ stand-your-ground law to claim Gill was justified in the shooting.

    The Douglas County District Attorney said this week that a judge rejected that defense and ordered Gill to stand trial on the criminal charge.

    The article may be viewed at KWCH News

    There’s a Quebec, Tennessee. Who knew?
    Robbery suspect killed, second suspect critically injured.
    Scripps Media, Inc.

    QUEBEC, Tenn. (WTVF) – One person was killed and another injured in an armed robbery turned shooting.

    According to officials with the White County Sheriff’s Office, deputies responded the the report Friday around 10:15 p.m. on Quebec Road.

    The resident living in the home, called 911. The two alleged robbers were both shot after they entered the home. One of them died at the scene and the other was in critical condition.

    View the article just where you would expect it to be, here News Channel 5

  • Brenda Snipes Takes Back Resignation as Broward’s Elections Chief

    snipes
    Katherine Rodriguez
    Disgraced Broward County Elections Supervisor Brenda Snipes took back her decision to resign as the county’s elections chief on Saturday after Gov. Rick Scott suspended her from her duties.

    Snipes’ attorney announced at a Saturday press conference that her client would be rescinding her decision to resign from the post in January and vowed she would be “fighting this to the very end

    “We believe these actions are malicious,” said Snipes’ attorney, Burnadette Norris-Weeks, telling Broward County voters that Scott’s appointment to the post could affect the predominantly Democratic county in the 2020 elections.

    Scott suspended Snipes via executive order on Friday, appointing his former general counsel, Peter Antonacci, to the post to serve out the rest of her term. Antonacci would serve until November 2020, when voters will choose Snipes’ replacement.

    State law requires the Florida Senate to vote on removing or reinstating county officials if the governor decides to suspend them.

    The outgoing Florida Republican governor cited her “misfeasance, incompetence, and neglect of duty” during the recount for the 2018 U.S. Senate and gubernatorial races.

    Suspended? She should be behind bars for election fraud. The rest of the article may be viewed here at Breitbart News

  • U.S. 5th Fleet Commander Found Dead in Bahrain

    Vice Adm. Scott StearneyVice Adm. Scott Stearney, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, U.S. 5th Fleet aboard USS Jason Dunham (DDG-109) on Oct. 24, 2018. US Navy Photo
    By Sam LaGrone

    Mick brings us the sad news of Vice Adm Scott Stearney’s death. Unfortunately it looks like suicide. We may never know what caused his decision, but people there is help out there for the asking. Use it.

    Vice Adm. Scott A. Stearney, commander of U.S. 5th Fleet, was found dead in his quarters in Bahrain on Saturday, according to a statement from Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson.

    While an investigation is ongoing, the death of Stearney will almost certainly be ruled a suicide, a U.S. defense official told USNI News. An official determination on the cause of death is expected by mid-week, USNI News has learned.

    A Navy spokesperson didn’t have additional information on the investigation when contacted by USNI News on Saturday.

    “The Naval Criminal Investigative Service and the Bahraini Ministry of Interior are cooperating on the investigation, but at this time no foul play is suspected,” read a statement from Richardson.

    “Scott Stearney was a decorated naval warrior. He was a devoted husband and father, and he was a good friend to all of us,” Richardson said. “The Naval Criminal Investigative Service and the Bahraini Ministry of Interior are cooperating on the investigation, but at this time no foul play is suspected. Rear Adm. Paul Schlise, the deputy commander of 5th Fleet, has assumed command and is maintaining continuity in our responsibilities and posture in the U.S. 5th Fleet.”

    Condolences to his family, friends and shipmates. The rest of the article may be viewed here at USNI.org

  • Sunday Feel Good Stories

    pistol flag
    One less to feed and house.
    Kansas woman, 74, fatally shoots burglar; has heart attack

    LEAVENWORTH, Kan. — Authorities say a 74-year-old Kansas woman shot and killed an intruder while on the phone with a 911 dispatcher and then had a heart attack.

    The Kansas City Star reports that Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson said Thursday that the woman is recovering and is expected to be OK. He says she “obviously” won’t face charges over the death of 41-year-old Ralph Byrd Jr., who broke into her Leavenworth home early Saturday.

    Thompson said she had reported an attempted burglary of her home about a week before. After that, she obtained a .22-caliber handgun that she took with her to bed at night.

    Read the entire article at The Republic

    One tagged, one in the wind.
    1 Suspect Dead, Another at Large Following Attempted Robbery in Prospect: Police

    Connecticut State Police are investigating an attempted robbery in Prospect that left one person dead on Friday night.

    Troopers were dispatched to Route 69 Auto Sales shortly before 7 p.m. after getting a report of an attempted robbery.

    Police said two men entered the store and began assaulting at least three people inside. During that time, one of the victims, who police said is a legal permit holder in Connecticut, fired at least one shot and both suspects fled on foot.

    According to police, one of the suspects was struck by at least one bullet and was found dead behind the store. The second suspect is still at large.

    Read the entire article at NBC Connecticut

    Only one way to settle a disagreement among gun aficionados, and its not pistols at dawn. Here are the firearms in question, decide for yourselves.
    Blackhawk
    blackhawk
    Colt
    colt

  • Saturday Feel Good Stories

    2nd A

    Homeowner speaks out after after having to use deadly force to protect himself from home invaders
    Ella Wilkie, Jon Randall
    Attention Claw. Whiz Wheel needed on paragraph six.

    ANDERSON, S.C. (FOX CAROLINA) – Officers with the Anderson Police Department tell us that on Monday night a homeowner killed a man when he tried to force his way into a home on King Street.

    According to police, two to three men came came to the home searching for the homeowners son. After being told that his son wasn’t there, the homeowner, identified as John Harkness, told police that the men left.

    Police say a short time later, one of the men returned by himself and asked for his son by name. Harkness told police while talking to the man, who was inside the home a short distance, noticed the other two men outside.

    Police say one of the men outside, tried to force his way into the home, at which time the Harkness fired his gun twice through the doorway hitting the man and killing him.

    Harkness expressed regret on how events turned out, but said he only did what he had to do and feels like they would have done the exact same thing to him.

    The coroner tells us that 28-year-old Alijah Tpau Moultrie-Fuller died on scene after suffering a gunshot wound around 11:14 p.m. Monday night.

    The entire article may be viewed here
    KOMU News

    Rapper “Monnie Man” is no more.
    Deputies say Ahmonta Harris tried to rob home before he was shot

    BOONE COUNTY- Authorities responded to shots being heard near the 5700 block of Limoges Drive just outside of Columbia city limits Saturday night around 11:30 PM.

    Deputies say Ahmonta M. Harris broke into a house for a robbery and threatened a 20 year old resident who was also armed. Harris was subsequently shot and killed. Harris died at the scene.

    The 20 year old and two other residents in the home were not injured.

    Neighbors said they were surprised when they learned a man had been shot and killed.

    Harris was a rapper that went by the name “Monnie Man” and was supposed to perform at Rose Music Hall in Columbia, according to his Facebook page.

    His friends and family remembered Harris on social media.

    “He taught me so much. I couldn’t have asked for nothing else but to bring him back,” friend Daylon McLaurin said.

    The entire article can be viewed at KOMU News