Category: Terror War

  • John T Booker Jr plans attack on Fort Riley

    John T Booker Jr plans attack on Fort Riley

    John-T-Booker-Jr

    PFM sends us a link to BBC which reports that this guy John T Booker Jr plotted along with his FBI agent to set off a truck bomb on base at Fort Riley, Kansas, an Army base near his home. Mr. Booker tried to join the Army, but apparently he couldn’t control himself enough to quit posting about his intention to commit “jihad’ while he was in the Army, so they rejected him;

    He had “formulated several plans for committing jihad once enlisted”, including shooting soldiers on the firing range and kidnapping a high-ranking officer.

    He told an undercover FBI informant that he wanted to show that “we will be coming after American soldiers in the streets… we will be picking them off on by one.”

    On 10 March, Mr Booker and an FBI informant travelled to Freedom Park near Fort Riley to film a martyrdom video, according to the FBI complaint.

    The video begins with Mr Booker, who was a military recruit at the time, proclaiming his loyalty to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of IS.

    Late last month he was denied enlistment, for some weird reason, so he continued his plans to bomb the base anyway, you know with help of his assigned FBI informant. The FBI assures us that no one was ever in danger from young Mr. Booker’s actions.

    He sounds like a real rocket surgeon. I’m shocked that he wasn’t successful. I mean the first thing you do to commit jihad is tell all of your Facebook friends – they’ll keep your secret. No one is ever going to look at your wall when you’re applying for job. That’s just media hype, dude.

    Dingus.

  • Boston Marathon Bomber: Guilty on All Counts

    Good to see this. This article from AP has more details.

    Now let’s just hope the jury follows through properly during the sentencing phase.

  • Insider attack claims one in Afghanistan

    Chief Tango sends a link to the Associated Press which reports that another “green-on-blue” insider attack occurred in Afghanistan claiming one life and wounding two others;

    The incident happened after a meeting Wednesday between Afghan provincial leaders and a U.S. Embassy official in the compound of the provincial governor in Jalalabad.

    NATO confirmed one of its soldiers died in the attack, without providing the nationality of the slain soldier.

    An update from the AP confirms that it did indeed involve American troops.

  • Saudis ask for troops for Yemen invasion

    Saudis ask for troops for Yemen invasion

    The Washington Times reports that the Saudis are asking for troops from Pakistan to help them kill Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen. The Saudis have been using airstrikes to keep the Shiite rebels off-balanced along with some US help;

    “There is U.S. strategic interest in returning some sense of stability to Yemen. The issue is, I don’t think there is a political appetite including among Americans for a ground war,” said Seth Jones, director of the International Security and Defense Policy Center at Rand Corp. “I don’t know that the U.S. wants to get directly engaged.”

    A 20-person joint committee in Ridayh, Saudi Arabia, including a “handful” of U.S. advisers, is providing intelligence to the Saudis to create a battleground picture, including general locations of the enemy and “no strike” areas that could contribute to collateral damage, the senior defense official said.

    A scant few months ago, the Obama Administration was pointing at Yemen as their shining example of their own brand of the war against terror, today, not so much. I guess the “Obama Touch” is the opposite of the “Midas Touch”.

  • Kenya responds to Garissa massacre

    You probably read about the attack on college students of the Kenyan Garissa University College where nearly 150 college students were murdered by four al-Shabab terrorists on the eve of Good Friday. Most were summarily executed when they couldn’t recite passages from the Koran. Well, Kenya, took action against al-Shabab yesterday according to the Associated Press;

    Kenya’s warplanes targeted the Gedo region of Somalia on Sunday afternoon and early Monday, said Col. David Obonyo of the Kenyan military. Gedo is directly across Kenya’s border in western Somalia.

    The planes bombarded the camps on Sunday but then noticed movement Monday and bombed again, said Obonyo.

    The camps, which were used to store arms and for logistical support, were destroyed but it was not possible to determine the number of casualties because of poor visibility from the air, he said.

    I especially like the part where they noticed movement in the camps, so they bombed them again. That’s how you defeat terrorists.

    By the way, Kenya is now reporting that one of the four terrorists is the son of their Interior Minister says Reuters;

    Spokesman Mwenda Njoka said Abdirahim Abdullahi was one of the four gunmen who attacked the Garissa University College campus on Thursday, killing nearly 150 people.

    “The father had reported to security agents that his son had disappeared from home… and was helping the police try to trace his son by the time the Garissa terror attack happened,” Njoka told Reuters in a text message.

    But, you know the reasons for terrorism are economic.

  • Inside the battle for Tikrit

    Inside the battle for Tikrit

    last convoy out of Iraq

    The New York Times, hand-wringing liberals that they are, report that Iraqi forces that took back the Iraqi city Tikrit from ISIS the other day aren’t acting as civilized as they like;

    There were no Islamic State prisoners taken at all in the recent fight, said Mr. Khadimy, the senior Badr official. “To be honest, everywhere we captured them we killed them because they were the enemy,” he said. Then, perhaps realizing how that sounded, he explained that any ISIS fighters who were about to be captured were assumed to be suicide bombers, so they were killed as a precaution.

    A battalion commander of the popular mobilization forces who was involved in the fight here for the past several months said that this week his men had captured three Afghan men, an Afghan woman and an Algerian man, all Islamic State fighters, in the battle for the palaces. “After we were done with them, we killed them,” he said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because he did not want to be identified admitting to a war crime.

    Yeah, well, maybe they should have taken prisoners whose treatment would have been scrutinized by the media instead. Reuters reports similar barbaric behavior;

    Near the charred, bullet-scarred government headquarters, two federal policemen flanked a suspected Islamic State fighter. Urged on by a furious mob, the two officers took out knives and repeatedly stabbed the man in the neck and slit his throat. The killing was witnessed by two Reuters correspondents.

    The incident is now under investigation, interior ministry spokesman Brigadier General Saad Maan told Reuters.

    AFP reports that Amnesty International is sticking their big, fat noses where they don’t belong;

    “We are very concerned by reports of widespread human rights abuses committed in the course of the military operation in the area around Tikrit,” the rights watchdog’s Donatella Rovera told AFP.

    Yeah, well, that’s the nature of warfare in that particular region. If ISIS is going to be defeated they have to feel defeated. I’m not saying that I don’t find it repulsive that humans mistreat each other in that part of the world, I do. That’s also the reason that I oppose the introduction of US forces in that region, too. US troops won’t be able to defeat ISIS because they won’t be able to fight the gruesome war that needs to be waged against ISIS. Precisely because of the New York Times, Reuters and Amnesty International.

    Like I’ve said before, the Iraqis and the Iranians have to make war more painful than not fighting in order to beat ISIS. American forces would be hamstrung by a restrictive set of Rules of Engagement, the Iraqis and Iranians don’t have that problem.

    At least, the Iraqis are not murdering folks who aren’t trying to kill them first, you know, like the Islamic extremist al-Shabab terrorists in Kenya when they murdered 148 Christian students on Thursday. I’m sure Amnesty international won’t be sending people to investigate that REAL atrocity.

    The gunmen singled out Christians at the university, killing them on the spot. But Muslims also were among the dead, as were women, even though the attackers had said at one point that they, too, would be spared.

    The masked attackers — strapped with explosives and armed with AK-47s — battled troops and police before the violence ended after about 13 hours.

    Thanks to Chief Tango for the NYT link.

  • 6 Navy divers to get POW Medal

    6 Navy divers to get POW Medal

    SW2_Robert_Stethem
    The Navy Times reports that six Navy divers who were held by jihadists in Beirut in 1985 will be awarded the POW medal, one medal will be awarded posthumously;

    Steelworker Second Class (DV) Robert D. Stethem will posthumously receive the award. He was beaten by the hijackers and shot point blank in the temple, then his body was thrown onto the tarmac at Beirut International Airport. Stethem has been posthumously awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star, and an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer is named for him.

    Stethem was part of a team of six divers from the Little Creek, Virginia-based Underwater Construction Team 1, who were flying home June 14, 1985, after finishing a project in Nea Makri, Greece.

    […]

    The five sailors who were held captive with Stethem: Engineering Aid 1st Class (DV) Stuart Dahl; Construction Electrician 1st Class (DV) Tony Watson; Equipment Operator 1st Class (DV) Jeffrey Ingalls; Steelworker 2nd Class (DV) Kenneth Bowen; and Construction Electrician 2nd Class (DV) Clinton Suggs.

    According to Wiki, the medal wasn’t created until November 8, 1985, but it is awarded for actions back to April 5, 1917. The six divers were held for 17 days on Trans-World Airlines Flight 847, the LA Times provides a timeline of events during the hijacking. Three terrorists from the hijacking remain on the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorists List. The FBI has long blamed Iran-back Hezbollah for the hijacking, Hezbollah has denied that accusation, though.

  • Iraq: Tikrit has been liberated

    Iraq: Tikrit has been liberated

    Reuters reports that the Iraqi government is celebrating a “victory” over ISIS forces in Tikrit;

    State television showed Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi, accompanied by leaders of the army and police, the provincial governor and Shi’ite paramilitary leaders, parading through Tikrit and raising an Iraqi flag.

    The militants captured the city, about 140 km (90 miles) north of Baghdad, last June as they swept through most of Iraq’s Sunni Muslim territories, swatting aside a demoralized and disorganized army that has now required an uneasy combination of Iranian and American support to get back on its feet.

    Well, the Iraqis needed that victory, but I have to admit that I trust very little of the news that comes out of that region these days. However, Australia says that coalition forces have killed more than 9000 ISIS jihadis;

    It is estimated Islamic State has 31,000 fighters, of whom 18,000 are foreigners.

    But Vice Admiral Johnston said the air campaign was taking its toll on numbers.

    “The United States assess that the number of Daesh [IS] fighters killed is approximately 9,500,” he said.

    “While we are not using body count as a measuring stick, it is a warning to those who might be influenced by Islamic extremists that there are deadly consequences if they travel to Iraq or Syria to fight.”

    According to the Army Times, the 10th Mountain DIvision is contributing another 1250 troops to the fight;

    The soldiers from the division’s 1st Brigade Combat Team will deploy in August or September, said Maj. Josh Jacques, a spokesman for the division.

    The Fort Drum, New York-based soldiers are expected to deploy for nine months, and they will replace paratroopers from 3rd BCT, 82nd Airborne Division, who have been in Iraq since January, Jacques said.

    The brigade just returned from Afghanistan in late 2013, according to the Times.