Category: Terror War

  • What did they expect?

    Chavez Ahmadinejad

    After Obama spent the weekend sucking up to the terrorist-supporting gang in Trinidad and Tobago, his administration seems surprised that Ahmadinejad went off on a tear today about Israel;

    Addressing a UN conference against racism, Ahmadinejad criticized the creation of a “totally racist government in occupied Palestine” in 1948, calling it “the most cruel and racist regime.”

    The remarks by Ahmadinejad — who has in the past denied the Holocaust — prompted 23 European Union delegations to walk out of the Geneva conference room in protest.

    The United States and Israel were among countries which had already boycotted the meeting, refusing to attend at all due to its anticipated tone regarding the Jewish state.

    So what did they expect? Obama spent the weekend glad handing with Daniel Ortega who ranted for 50 minutes about the US “aggression” in the last century. So what were the reactions of Obama and his staff? Hillary Clinton said “I thought the cultural performance was fascinating.”


    Obama? Well, he’s just glad that Ortega only ranted about the US and not Obama specifically, “To move forward, we cannot let ourselves be prisoners of past disagreements. I’m grateful that President Ortega did not blame me for things that happened when I was three months old.”

    Yeah, that’s our president, boys and girls. Only things that are directed at him are important. So Obama tells Israel that they need to withdraw from Jerusalem before the US gets involved in Iran’s nuclear program. So what does Ahmadinejad do? Takes full advantage of the weakling in the White House.

  • Secret torture memos not juicy enough for Left

    Since the torture stories contained in those secret Bush memos never materialized, the Left is twisting itself into knots to just make stuff up now. Like this “article” from Raw Story;

    Allow me to summarize;

    (more…)

  • Napolitano stands by “vets as terrorists” warning

    The Washington Times’ Audrey Hudson reports this morning that Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano stands by her department’s report on potential terror by the “right wing”;

    Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Wednesday that she was briefed before the release of a controversial intelligence assessment and that she stands by the report, which lists returning veterans among terrorist risks to the U.S.

    In her statement Wednesday, Ms. Napolitano defended the report, which says “rightwing extremism” may include groups opposed to abortion and immigration, as merely one among several threat assessments. But she agreed to meet with the head of the American Legion, who had expressed anger over the report, when she returns to Washington next week from a tour of the U.S.-Mexico border.

    In response to some reports of who the author of the report might be, the Times narrows down the field;

    Homeland Security officials have declined to say who wrote report, except that it was a career official and not a political appointee.

    Only three employees are listed in the Federal Yellow Book as working for the I&A office – acting Undersecretary Roger Mackin and two executive assistants.

    Rep. Steven Buyer of Indiana replicates my thoughts on the danger of the report – irrespective of the shrugs from Bloggers on the right who have never served in the military, and never suffered the slings and arrows of the American culture after the Vietnam war;

    “This kind of mischaracterization can lead to discrimination against veterans in our society, especially in the job market,” Mr. Buyer said. “Vietnam veterans were subjected to this unfair treatment, and I call upon President Obama and members of Congress to refute any similar stereotyping of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans.”

    Press Secretary Gibbs conveniently hasn’t talked to the President about the report yet;

    Asked about the report at Wednesday’s White House briefing, press secretary Robert Gibbs said he has not spoken with President Obama specifically about it.

    It was irresponsible of Napolitano to allow this report to see the light of day and it’s even more irresponsible of her to continue to pretend she’s the least bit concerned about national security when she allows her staff to mischaracterize the very people who put their lives on the line for that security.

    I don’t understand how they can pretend like this is no big deal – except that they know they don’t depend on veterans’ and troops’ votes to win elections.

    Equally important, where is the statement from nonpartisan IAVA condemning this?

    Thanks to 1STCavRVN11B for the link.

  • Hippies; put the troops in harm’s way, dammit!

    Someone sent me this article from the Atlantic Free Press in which a stupid hippie tells us about how he became anti-war in the 60s because the media published pictures of the horrors of war. He laments the fact that media doesn’t continue to feed his perverse need for gory photos.

    A key reason my—and millions of other Americans’ — eyes were opened to what the US was up to in Indochina was that the media at that time, at least by 1967, had begun to show Americans the reality of that war. I didn’t have to look to hard to find the photos of napalm victims, or to read about the true nature of the weapons that our forces were using.

    Today, while the internet makes it possible to find similar information about the conflicts in the world in which the US is participating, either as primary combatant or as the chief provider of arms, as in Gaza, one actually has to make a concerted effort to look for them. The corporate media which provide the information that most Americans simply receive passively on the evening news or at breakfast over coffee carefully avoid showing us most of the graphic horror inflicted by our military machine.

    Oh, goodness, he has to make a “concerted effort” – poor child. How can the media do this to a poor hippie – making him actually do something besides smoke pot and scratch his ample ass. But, see, it’s the media’s fault this war has continued – it couldn’t be because we learned our lesson in the 60s that we have to fight our wars to a successful conclusion, could it? Naw. Couldn’t be.

    We may read about wedding parties that are bombed by American forces—something that has happened with some frequency in both Iraq and Afghanistan — where the death toll is tallied in dozens, but we are, as a rule, not provided with photos that would likely show bodies torn apart by anti-personnel bombs—a favored weapon for such attacks on groups of supposed enemy “fighters.” (A giveaway that such weapons are being used is a typically high death count with only a few wounded.)

    Now, the poor thing is a bomb damage assessment expert – even though he successfully avoided the draft when it was his turn to serve. But, he tells us that we’re all a bunch of morons because we need graphic depictions of deaths before we understand that war kills people.

    We ain’t not smart enough to cipher that from them scribble thingies on that there paper stuff – we needs pitchers. Maybe them hippie fellers could buy us some crayons and them books that we kin color in, too.

    Of course, he’s one of those goofy elitists who claims the scales fell from his pro-war eyes the minute he went to college. Well, anyway, this goofball thinks we send soldiers into the fight instead of using drone aircraft;

    Meanwhile, the killing of civilians in Afghanistan and Pakistan is only likely to increase with the expanding use of Predator drone aircraft which kill from the sky, piloted by pilots based in control trailers in remote places like Nevada.

    To bolster his point he quotes John Grant, the stupid hippie Hun that butts heads with our buddy Skye and her Sheepdog friends in West Chseter, PA. Grant is the president of the local Geezers for Peace chapter;

    Is this who we want to be as citizens of the world, essentially hiding away in our comfy homes afraid of engaging with the world except through remotely piloted drones or controlled visits to Disney World? Considering the long history of warfare, why is this kind of warfare not cowardly? Are drones the answer to not wanting our young men and women brought home in aluminum boxes?

    So who do you want to be, John? The guy who is calling for more of our troops to come home in aluminum boxes so you can feel better about yourself?

    ADDED: Some guy named Thus Spake Ortner at some other blog I’ve heard of from time-to-time wrote about Dave Lindorff, the author of this nimroddery, here and here.

  • First test?

    Yesterday, the Washington Post ran this article by the Associated Press about how President Obama has passed his “first national security test” ;

    Yeah, he passed the test in the sense that he didn’t interfere with the same orders that every cop on the street is given before they start their beat. In the same issue of the Post, they ran this AP article; Undeterred Somali pirates hijack 3 more ships. So what national security goal has been accomplished beyond the life of a single man?

    The Wall Street Journal announces this morning that Pakistan created a haven for extremist jihadists in Swat and they seem to be streaming in and creating training bases.

    President Asif Ali Zardari effectively ratified the government’s deal with the Taliban Monday by signing a bill that imposes Islamic law in Swat, a key plank of the accord, hours after legislators overwhelmingly approved a resolution urging it. Pakistani officials have touted the deal, reached in February, as a way to restore peaceful order in the bloodied region — which lies just a few hours’ drive from the capital — and halt the Taliban’s advance.

    Yet a visit to the Taliban-controlled valley here found mounting evidence that the deal already is strengthening the militants as a base for war. U.S. officials contend the pact has given the Taliban and its allies in al Qaeda and other Islamist groups an advantage in their long-running battle against Pakistan’s military.

    The number of militants in the valley swelled in the months before the deal with the Taliban was struck, and they continue to move in, say Pakistani and U.S. officials. They now estimate there are between 6,000 and 8,000 fighters in Swat, nearly double the number at the end of last year.

    So should we say that Obama has failed that portion of his test? But that’s not all – because of the weak and inaudible response to North Korea’s launch of a missile over Japan, Kin Jong Il has found the inner strength to ignore six-party talks to disarm the Norks’ nuclear program (WSJ link);

    North Korea said Tuesday it would rev up its nuclear-weapons development program and pull out of the so-called “six party” diplomatic process where five other countries have tried since 2003 to persuade it to give up its pursuit of those weapons in exchange for economic help.

    The country announced the decision just hours after the U.N. Security Council in New York voted to issue a statement criticizing North Korea’s April 5 launch of a missile-like rocket.

    That penalty was lighter in tone and diplomatic weight than the resolutions that the Security Council passed when North Korea launched a long-range missile and tested a nuclear device in 2006. North Korea responded to those penalties by returning to the six-party bargaining table and forging a deal in early 2007 to dismantle a nuclear power plant that provided fuel for its atomic weapons.

    Oh, and to prove that we’re not Bush anymore, Obama is going to fund the Castro government by lifting remittances barriers (Washington Times);

    “We’re getting the United States out of the business of regulating the relationship between Cuban families,” said Dan Restrepo, the president’s top adviser on Latin American issues at the National Security Council.

    “The Cuban government should get itself out of the way and allow Cuban families to support Cuban families. And that creates the kind of space, in our view, that is necessary to move Cuba forward to a free and democratic Cuba,” he said.

    Yeah, that’ll happen because the Cuban government has a history of leaving Cuban families to their business. Hardly. 20% of the hard currency dollars that enter Cuba will go straight to the Fidel/Raul retirement plan. Can we call that a failure? Zombie Castro “says” Obama’s new Cuba policy doesn’t go far enough.

    I’m glad that Captain Phillips is free, I’m glad Obama didn’t screw that up – but all the rest of this crap should scare the media to death – and they should say so instead of looking for nothing but positives.

  • Obama’s Bill Clinton moment

    Can you imagine George W. Bush allowing a US Navy destroyer to be held at bay by a few scrawny Somalians stranded in an unfueled lifeboat hundreds of miles from shore? No, me either. Only a Democrat Administration would think that they can negotiate with a bunch of superstitious stone-age terrorists who think they’re going to die the minute their hostage is released. After all, they reneged on their deal with the crew of the Maersk Alabama in the prisoner exchange that was supposed to take place before the Navy arrived. Why should they expect different treatment from our side?

    I flashed on a similar situation over 15 years ago when in the Fall of 1994, the Haitian generals held an entire nation hostage. At one point, President Clinton dispatched warships to Port-au-Prince. Shirtless and shoeless Haitian supporters of the generals stood on the docks shouted and waved their machetes at the hulking gray ships. Eventually, the Navy didn’t dock and left the port. The Haitians immediately celebrated a great victory over the United States military.

    Clinton became so frustrated that he sent Jimmy Carter to straighten things out – and the 82d Airborne Division orbited Pope Air Force Base waiting for the word to go. Instead of using his military, Clinton paid US taxpayer dollars to the generals to leave Haiti – and Haiti is a tropical paradise and tourist destination today because of it. Huh? It’s not? Nothing has changed? How could I have missed that?

    Halfway around the world, with their compadres streaming towards the tiny lifeboat with it’s single hostage, shirtless and shoeless pirates are holding off the US Navy. For three days now, the US has been negotiating and time is running short before more ships with more hostages arrive to complicate the whole situation.

    Why doesn’t Obama just drop Jimmy Carter into the lifeboat and exchange him for Captain Phillips? That’d solve two problems at once.

  • al Sadr/AP mark anniversary of the fall of Hussein

    I guess Shi’ite cleric Mooky al Sadr is sad that Sadam Hussein’s government fell six years ago today since he and his acolytes were out in force to protest the event by burning George W. Bush in effigy;

    I wonder if Mooky realizes that if Hussein were still in power, he’d be just another Shi’ite Iraqi with bad teeth trying to keep out of the way of Saddam and his sons. I noticed he makes these declarations from the safety of Iran.

    It looks like AP thinks this is news, but not the nationwide tea parties being held to protest the Obama Administration’s economic policies. I guess it takes a long time to get over BDS.

  • Obama Administration’s PUSS-E

    Rurik forwarded this picture of the Army’s newest vehicle;

    I’d hate to hear those troops complain if they get sand in their PUSS-E.

    UPDATE: Whoops. Looks like it came from Moonbattery. But at least no one thought of the sand thing yet.