Category: Terror War

  • Bagram hospital prepares for more casualties

    Stars & Stripes reports that the folks at Bagram’s Craig Joint Theater Hospital is gearing up in anticipation for more casualties in Afghanistan as more troops arrive, ROE restrictions loosen and air strikes increase;

    “The more combat you have, the more casualties you’re likely to have,” said Col. Walter M. “Sparky” Matthews, head of the 455th Expeditionary Medical Group. He oversees the military’s medical task force responsible for non-special-operations medical teams here. “It would be unwise for us not to plan for an increase in casualty numbers.”

    The medical system is ready and able to treat more wounded than it has been, even without added staff, Matthews said, because the number of casualties is normally pretty low. The Bagram hospital was quiet on a recent afternoon, and its emergency and operating rooms were empty. A few Afghans in civilian attire and bandages sat in a waiting area.

    “It would also be unwise for us to assume that the low numbers of U.S. casualties that we’ve had in the recent past would remain that way,” he said. “We’re certain that increase is going to come. We just don’t know to what degree.”

    Colonel Matthews says that his traffic through the hospital has a 99% chance of survival.

    Officials would not say how many patients were Afghan troops, but there were just 113 U.S. casualties in fighting in the country last year.

    The motto on rounds here is “no one dies today,” and as they’ve come close to achieving that goal, deaths have become so rare that Matthews said it’s unnerving when someone does not survive.

    My son was at Bagram a few years ago and he told me that they treated more Taliban than allied troops during his tour.

  • US airstrike on Assad troops in Syria

    Associated Press reports that the United States conducted an airstrike on Syrian government troops in eastern Syria killing about a hundred of Assad’s supporters.

    The U.S. official said the U.S. launched the airstrikes after as many as 500 attackers began what appeared to be a coordinated assault on U.S.-backed forces known as the Syrian Democratic Forces who were accompanied by U.S. advisers in Deir el-Zour province.

    The official said the strikes were in self-defense after the pro-government forces began firing artillery and tank rounds at the SDF. About 100 of the attackers were killed, the official said.

    The Syrian government claimed that the targeted fighters were actually “tribal fighters” who were engaged with ISIS militants.

    The air strike comes after the Syrian government was accused by Amnesty International of using chlorine gas on the town of Saraqib last Sunday, according to Fox News.

    Amnesty International, in a press release issued earlier Tuesday, said that testimony gathered from the scene showed evidence that the Syrian government internationally used banned chemical weapons.

    “Once again, Syria’s government has shown its utter contempt for international law by deploying illegal chemical weapons,” Lynn Malouf said in the press release. Malouf is the Director of Research for the Middle East at Amnesty International.

    Fox News also reports that the rockets used in the attack were made in Germany;

    The rockets used in the recent chemical attacks in Syria that poisoned dozens of civilians, including children, were “Made in Germany,” Bild reports.

    Following the attacks in East Ghouta, a suburb outside Damascus with a population of 400,000, the remains of Iranian 107-millimeter rockets with the company logo of Krempel and the product signature “Made in Germany” were found at the sites, Bild reported Monday.

    The Syrian civil war hasn’t become any easier to manage with the end of ISIS, the US should focus on a diplomatic exit strategy for Assad and his supporters.

  • US begins another withdrawal from Iraq

    US begins another withdrawal from Iraq

    Reuters reports that the US is beginning their third withdrawal from Iraq in as many decades, according to an Iraqi government spokesman, after the defeat of ISIS.

    “The American forces have begun reducing their numbers as victory has been achieved over Daesh,” the spokesman told Reuters. “Coordination continues, to maintain (U.S.) assistance to the Iraqi forces in accordance with their requirements.”

    The United States had more than 5,500 troops in Iraq at the height of the battle of Mosul in July 2017, making up about half the total force deployed by the coalition in the country.

    The Pentagon isn’t confirming that news, according to the Associated Press;

    U.S. military spokesman Col. Ryan Dillon did not deny the report to CBS News, but would only say that the U.S.-led military coalition’s presence in Iraq “will be conditions-based, proportional to the need” and determined “in coordination with the government of Iraq.”

    Contractors tell reporters that combat assets are being shifted from Iraq to Afghanistan to be used against ISIS and Taliban forces in that seventeen-year-old war.

  • John Doe; US citizen captured fighting with ISIS

    AFP reports that a US citizen who also has Saudi Arabian dual-citizenship is being held in Iraq, known only as John Doe, is in legal limbo while the Trump Administration wrestles with his status. He surrendered to Syrian rebels last year, about five months ago. The ACLU is fighting the US government for access to Mr Doe;

    The American Civil Liberties Union filed suit to get access to the prisoner. The government refused to provide any information about him — his name, age, or origins.

    They termed him an enemy fighter and claimed he showed no desire for legal representation.

    Hearings on his status between September and January were surreal: government lawyers argued he had never expressed the desire for legal representation, though they would not say if he had been asked; that the ACLU had no standing to represent him because they had not been requested; and that the ACLU could not represent the man because they did not know his identity.

    In January the judge, Tanya Chutkan, rejected government arguments and ordered them to grant the ACLU access.

    ACLU’s national political director, Faiz Shakir, also complained that Trump used the word “America” too many times in the State of the Union Address, so their claims for this un-American ring hollow.

    Mr Doe gave up any chance he had for US Constitutional rights when he joined ISIS. In fact, when they execute him, he doesn’t even have a right to a US-made bullet or rope.

  • Trump; Guantanamo remains open for business

    Trump; Guantanamo remains open for business

    According to the Washington Post, President Trump signed an Executive Order yesterday mandating that the detainee facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba remain open. According to the EO;

    The detention operations at the U.S. Naval Station Guantánamo Bay are legal, safe, humane, and conducted consistent with United States and international law…Given that some of the current detainee population represent the most difficult and dangerous cases from among those historically detained at the facility, there is significant reason for concern regarding their reengagement in hostilities should they have the opportunity.

    The EO says that, not only will the 40 detainees will remain there, but that he might send some others there;

    (b) Detention operations at U.S. Naval Station Guantánamo Bay shall continue to be conducted consistent with all applicable United States and international law, including the Detainee Treatment Act of 2005.

    (c) In addition, the United States may transport additional detainees to U.S. Naval Station Guantánamo Bay when lawful and necessary to protect the Nation.

    Needless to say, the Washington Post doesn’t like the idea;

    Trump’s order breaks with not only Obama’s policy but the intentions of his Republican predecessor, who opened the prison in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks.

    By the end of his presidency, President George W. Bush concluded that Guantanamo was doing more harm than good, said John Bellinger, legal adviser to the National Security Council and the State Department in the Bush administration, although in the end, he decided keep it open.

    “President Trump is throwing more political bones to his base rather than making a determination based on what is best for U.S. national security,” Bellinger said.

    Yeah, well, take it up with the Obama Administration, Bezos. Obama, who promised to close the facility by the end of 2009 on his first day in office, couldn’t find a reasonable substitution.

  • Everitt Aaron Jameson; the jihadist’s DD214

    Everitt Aaron Jameson; the jihadist’s DD214

    Last month, we talked about Everitt Aaron Jameson, a youngster who decided to become a jihadist and commit a act of terrorism but the FBI interceded in his plans. In their investigation, the FBI discovered that he had been in the Marine Corps, but that he had been discharged because he had lied about his medical history (specifically, his long history of asthma) when he enlisted.

    From the FBI’s charging document;

    Jameson did complete boot camp, but it looks like he might been recycled. He spent 4 months and 13 days in the USMC before they kicked him to the curb. Thanks to our partners at Military Phonies, here is the paperwork;

  • Twenty-five killed in Kabul hotel assault

    AFP reports that at least 25 people were killed in an assault on the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, Afghanistan. Four bodies have been identified as Americans.

    Visitors to the upmarket hotel, which sits on a hilltop overlooking the Afghan capital, have described glaring security breaches before the assailants went on a bloody rampage targeting guests.

    Bags were not checked, scanners did not work and body searches were non-existent, according to witnesses.

    During the terrifying ordeal insurgents armed with Kalashnikovs and suicide vests went from room to room searching for foreigners, survivors and a security source have told AFP.

    CNN reports that one of the Americans was Glenn Selig, spokesman for Trump campaign adviser Rick Gates.

    Selig represented Gates in recent months, as Gates faces criminal charges in special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation. Selig also played a role in promoting a legal defense fund for Gates in December.

    Hindustan Times reports that Afghan intelligence services tell them that the explosives came from Pakistan;

    The National Directorate of Security (NDS) said it had found the vehicle used by the attackers to enter the hotel compound on Saturday. Twenty-two people, including 14 foreigners, were killed by the attackers before the siege was ended by security forces on Sunday.

    “The explosive materials seized in the vehicle shows that the material is made in Pakistan,” the NDS said in a statement, according to Tolo News.

    The statement added the explosives used by the attackers were produced by Biafo Industries Limited, a private company based in Islamabad.

    An unnamed Afghan security official told Pajhwok Afghan News agency on Wednesday that three militants had driven to the hotel with the van full of Pakistan-made explosives but failed to detonate them.

    A team of detectives seized the van and used jammers to disable the remote-control device the attackers had, the official said.

  • Derrick Thompson; convicted jihadist in Phoenix

    Derrick Thompson; convicted jihadist in Phoenix

    Tim sends a link to the news that Derrick Thompson was convicted in Maricopa County Superior Court for his lonewolfiness and planning to kill Arizonans. He was sentenced to a year in prison and four years of probation.

    The 31-year-old Thompson was arrested in December 2016 after being watched by the FBI for more than two years.

    He subsequently was indicted on charges of assisting a criminal syndicate, attempting to commit misconduct involving weapons and inciting or inducing a criminal syndicate.

    From AZCentral earlier this month;

    In court records, officials alleged Thompson was an “avowed jihadist” who posted online support for the Islamic State, also known as ISIS, and the solo attacks its sympathizers have carried out in Western nations. Officials said he additionally conducted hundreds of searches for assault rifles, scopes, ammunition, suppressors, handguns, shotguns and crossbows.

    Court documents stated Thompson made frequent contact with ISIS websites. His Google account in October 2016 was used to search for “istishad (martyrdom) vs. suicide” on the same day he searched for “Midnight Mass” — a Christian tradition of celebrating Christmas in church in the late-night hours of Christmas Eve or midnight on Christmas Day.

    That same month, the account searched for “fatwa on killing civilians,” as well as a post to his Google Plus account that stated “Right, we need to get down with this ISIS s–t.”

    He has trouble getting his hands on a firearm from the Dark Web, because he is a felon. But this was the culmination of two years’ investigation. A year in prison.