Category: Terror War

  • “JV team” kills 5042 in November

    AFP reports that 5042 people died from jihadist attacks last month. Mostly the casualties occurred in Iraq, but also in Nigeria, Afghanistan and Syria. that’s all according to BBC World Service and the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation (ICSR) at King’s College London.

    The research found Islamic State jihadists in Iraq and Syria were responsible for around half of the violence — 308 attacks responsible for 2,206 deaths.

    “The data makes it clear that jihadists and Al-Qaeda are no longer one and the same,” the report said.

    It said that 60 percent of the killing was done by groups with no formal association with Al-Qaeda, pointing to “an increasingly ambitious, complex, sophisticated and far-reaching movement”.

    Well, whew. I feel better that al Qaeda has been decimated. Of course, according to the Guardian, it is largely the fault of Bush;

    The single most interesting quote from the ISIS leader, whom Chulov refers to as Abu Ahmed, is quite disturbing: he credits the group’s rise, in large part, to American prison camps during the Iraq war, which he says gave him and other jihadist leaders an invaluable forum to meet one another and to plan their later rise.

    […]

    Their network organized partially out of US-run detention centers has played a key role in that. The Iraqi government, Chulov reports, estimates that “17 of the 25 most important Islamic State leaders running the war in Iraq and Syria spent time in US prisons between 2004 and 2011.”

    Our biggest problems with this war against terror has been dealing with prisoners, so….

  • Obama wants authorization for “boots” in Iraq

    Obama wants authorization for “boots” in Iraq

    Halp us Jon Cary

    The Stars & Stripes reports that Secretary of State John Kerry has warned the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that they shouldn’t take tools out of the President’s tool box in regards to the use of force in Iraq and Syria against ISIS/ISIL/Islamic State;

    The Senate Foreign Relations Committee is weighing a war authorization after months of U.S. airstrikes, and amid growing concerns that lawmakers are obligated to take a stronger stand on the future of operations. The committee will on Thursday debate a bill that limits the war to three years and bars the use of ground forces.

    Kerry told the committee that President Barack Obama is open to language in an authorization that clarifies how combat forces may be used and still does not plan to deploy ground troops.

    “It does not mean we should pre-emptively bind the hands of the commander-in-chief or our commanders in the field in responding to scenarios and contingencies that are impossible to foresee,” Kerry said.

    More accurately, instead of “contingencies that are impossible to foresee”, Kerry should have said “shit we choose to ignore until it makes us look bad”. And it was this administration that took troops off the table in the first place, wasn’t it? Remember “no boots on the ground”?

    And, oh, yeah, Kerry ran for president in 2004 promising to withdraw from Iraq, and now he’s the guy telling us that we need to be ready to send troops back. His boss is stripping the Defense Department to the bone so there will be no one to deploy to Iraq. Reality is tougher than campaign promises, ain’t it?

  • CIA “torture” report released by Senate

    CIA “torture” report released by Senate

    So, ignoring the warnings that it would put Americans at risk around the world, the highly partisan Senate did that anyway. Because, you know, what are the lives of a few Americans compared to them being removed from their seats of power? The Washington Post is shocked by what they read in the report. Apparently they’re much less shocked by videos of Americans having their heads removed on video screens around the world. They’re much less shocked that Americans and Europeans are heading off to Syria by the thousands to join the organization that sprung from al Qaeda. Those terrorists are heartened by Senator Feinstein;

    In her foreword to the report, Feinstein does not characterize the CIA’s actions as torture, but said the trauma of Sept. 11 led the agency to employ “brutal interrogation techniques in violation of U.S. law, treaty obligations and our values.” The report should serve as “a warning for the future,” she said. “We cannot again allow history to be forgotten and grievous past mistakes to be repeated.”

    Yeah, if pumping water up the anus of a terrorist is something that makes them talk, they can use my hose. The report focuses on the treatment of Abu Zubaida. He operated the Khalden Camp which trained al Qaeda operatives and Taliban soldiers. He was convicted in absentia and sentenced to death by Jordan for plotting bombings of US and Israeli targets there. He had ties to Ahmed Ressam, the “Millennium Bomber” who was foiled at the Canadian/US border.

    Zubaida was shot by Pakistani intelligence officials when they arrested him. When he was turned over to the FBI, those agents took him straight to the hospital for treatment. I wonder if John McCain wishes that he had been treated as humanely by the North Vietnamese troops who captured him when he was injured?

    But this is what the report said about his treatment;

    One of the most lengthy sections describes the interrogation of the CIA’s first prisoner, Abu Zubaida, who was detained in Pakistan in March 2002. Zubaida, badly injured when he was captured, was largely cooperative when jointly questioned by the CIA and FBI but was then subjected to confusing and increasingly violent interrogation as the agency assumed control.

    After being transferred to a site in Thailand, Zubaida was placed in isolation for 47 days, a period during which the presumably important source on al-Qaida faced no questions. Then, at 11:50 a.m. on Aug. 4, 2002, the CIA launched a round-the-clock interrogation assault — slamming Zubaida against walls, stuffing him into a coffin-sized box and waterboarding him until he coughed, vomited and had “involuntary spasms of the torso and extremities.”

    The treatment continued for 17 days. At one point, the waterboarding left Zubaida “completely unresponsive, with bubbles rising through his open, full mouth.” CIA memos described employees who were distraught and concerned about the legality of what they had witnessed. One said that “two, perhaps three” were “likely to elect transfer.”

    Good. Even if they didn’t get any information out of him, he was obviously a terrorist and deserved everything he got. And you’ll note that no one chopped off his head during this treatment.

    Zubaida was waterboarded 83 times and kept in cramped boxes for nearly 300 hours. In October 2002, Bush was informed in his daily intelligence briefing that Zubaida was still withholding “significant threat information,” despite views from the black site that he had been truthful from the outset and was “compliant and cooperative,” the report said.

    The document provides a similarly detailed account of the interrogation of the alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Khalid Sheik Mohammed, who fed his interrogators a stream of falsehoods and intelligence fragments. Waterboarding was supposed to simulate suffocation with a damp cloth and a trickle of liquid. But with Mohammed, CIA operatives used their hands to form a standing pool of water over his mouth. KSM, as he is known in agency documents, was ingesting “a LOT of water,” a CIA medical officer wrote, saying that the application had been so altered that “we are basically doing a series of near drownings.”

    From Wiki;

    In March 2007, through the use of enhanced interrogation techniques, [Khalid Sheikh Mohammed] confessed to masterminding the September 11 attacks, the Richard Reid shoe bombing attempt to blow up an airliner, the Bali nightclub bombing in Indonesia, the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, the murder of Daniel Pearl, and various foiled attacks, as well as numerous other crimes.

    And now I’m supposed to regret that treatment of a fellow who had a hand in nearly every terrorist plot for the decade before his arrest? Yeah, let me dig deep for some GAF.

    I wonder if the media will shove a microphone in the face of any Democrat Senator who took part in the release of the report and ask them if they regret the loss of any lives that result from this release. And have no doubt, that the release of this report is purely political. Most of the members of Congress were fully aware of the interrogation techniques that were employed at the time they were used, but now suddenly it’s “never again” as they’re being shown the door.

    According to Fox News, six thousand Marines in Europe are on “high alert” as a Crisis Response Force solely because the Senate Democrats released this report.

    The editorial board of the Wall Street Journal writes that they’re convinced that the interrogation techniques used by the CIA saved lives;

    What is wrong with the committee’s report?

    First, its claim that the CIA’s interrogation program was ineffective in producing intelligence that helped us disrupt, capture, or kill terrorists is just not accurate. The program was invaluable in three critical ways:

    • It led to the capture of senior al Qaeda operatives, thereby removing them from the battlefield.

    • It led to the disruption of terrorist plots and prevented mass casualty attacks, saving American and Allied lives.

    • It added enormously to what we knew about al Qaeda as an organization and therefore informed our approaches on how best to attack, thwart and degrade it.

    A powerful example of the interrogation program’s importance is the information obtained from Abu Zubaydah, a senior al Qaeda operative, and from Khalid Sheikh Muhammed, known as KSM, the 9/11 mastermind. We are convinced that both would not have talked absent the interrogation program.

    By the way, John McCain was quoted as saying “This question isn’t about our enemies. It’s about us. It’s about who we were, who we are and who we aspire to be. It’s about how we represent ourselves to the world.” The Senate report is not accurate – like any report that comes out of Congress – everything is a compromise vote. They only release information that the Democrat majority allows to be released. Butthurt McCain voting with them insures that nothing even close to accurate is going to be in the report.

    The world needs to know that we’re tired of taking their shit. The whining and hand-wringing by the Senate doesn’t send that message.

  • Details of failed rescue attempt emerge

    Details of failed rescue attempt emerge

    We talked a bit yesterday about the failed rescue attempt of Ryan Somers, and now, as time passes we get some of the details of the raid. Chief Tango sends us a link from ABC News which tells us the raiding party, which included Yemeni government troops, was fairly large;

    In the dead of night, a team of U.S. Navy SEALs landed a little more than six miles away from a compound in the Shabwah province of Yemen where U.S. officials believed an affiliate of al Qaeda was holding American journalist Luke Somers captive.

    About 110 yards away, after making their way through the rugged terrain on foot, the team of 40 was spotted and the al Qaeda of the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) fighters began firing wildly at the SEALs, according to a military official. One of the AQAP fighters ran into the compound as the firefight continued outside, then quickly came back out.

    When the SEALs secured and entered the compound, they found Somers, 33, and another captive, South African Pierre Korkie, had been shot.

    Forty was about four times larger than I would have thought the force would number. Fox News says that the South Africans had successfully negotiated for the release of Pierre Korkie, who was being held with Somers;

    “A team of Abyan (Yemeni) leaders met in Aden [Saturday] morning and were preparing the final security and logistical arrangements, related to hostage release mechanisms, to bring Pierre to safety and freedom,” Imtiaz Sooliman, founder of Gift of the Givers. “It is even more tragic that the words we used in a conversation with Yolande at 5:59 [Saturday] morning was: ‘The wait is almost over.’”

    The Associated Press, citing sources close to the negotiations, reported that the militants had initially demanded a $3 million ransom for Korkie’s release. Although that demand was dropped, the kidnappers did insist on the “facilitation fee,” according to the aid group. The undisclosed amount was raised by Korkie’s family and friends, according to the South African Press Agency.

    Like someone said in the comments yesterday, I think I’d rather be summarily shot than to have my gruesome death filmed for propaganda, but then I wouldn’t be captured anyway. Always save one bullet for yourself – or at least don’t get yourself in the position where you’re the star of an al Qaeda film. Stay home and watch the war on TV, because as this makes it obvious, the government can’t always help.

  • Luke Somers killed in rescue attempt

    Luke Somers killed in rescue attempt

    Luke-Somers

    Fox News reports that last night, American hostage, Luke Somers, was killed by his captors during an attempt by US Special Forces to rescue him;

    Luke Somers was still alive, but badly injured when the team reached him, a Yemeni national security official told Fox News. The official said Somers was shot by militants. None of the special forces members were injured.

    Hagel said in the statement that the rescue bid was conducted in partnership with the Yemen’s government and its security forces.Ten militants were killed between the rescue attempt and the drone strike prior to the mission, the Yemeni official confirmed.

    South African hostage Pierre Korkie was the other hostage killed in the operation, the Gift of the Givers, a South African aid group confirmed.

    President Obama, who ordered the mission, released a statement early Saturday morning condemning the “barbaric murder” of Somers.

  • Burqa ghost murderer in Abu Dhabi

    Burqa ghost murderer in Abu Dhabi

    Burqa Ghost

    The folks at Vocativ sent us a link to their story of the burqa-clad “lone wolf” murderer in Abu Dhabi where a personin traditional female garb followed Romanian-born American kindergarten teacher Ibolya Ryan into the ladies’ room and brutally stabbed her to death;

    It’s a pretty eerie video, helped by the musical scoring. From Fox News;

    Col. Rashid Borshid, head of the Criminal Investigation Department, told The Associated Press that a fight broke out between the victim and the attacker in the women’s restroom just before the stabbing.

    Authorities revealed Thursday that the attacker also planted a bomb outside the home of an American doctor, but police dismantled it after it was discovered by a son of the physician. The bomb was primitive, and included small gas cylinders, a lighter, glue and nails, Interior Minister Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan said.

    Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan, who is also deputy prime minister, said the attacker targeted her victims based on their nationality alone in an attempt to create chaos and terrorize the country. He called the stabbing a crime that is “alien to our secure country.”

    Fox also reports that authorities tell them that they’ve arrested a woman who they think is the murderer.

    Vocativ says that ISIS media is calling for similar attacks on foreigners in the Arab world;

    Now ISIS is encouraging supporters to conduct similar female “burqa attacks” against Americans and foreigners in the Middle East.

    In the last few hours, official ISIS social media channels have been circulating the hashtag #????????_???????? (#TheLoneBurqa), in reference to the “lone wolf” terrorist attack method, glorifying the attack in Abu Dhabi and calling for more like it. Vocativ previously reported that ISIS has called to single out American teachers in the Middle East as easy targets.

    Yeah, single out teachers so you can perpetuate the ignorance in that part of the world.

  • Purple Hearts for Fort Hood Shooting Victims? Maybe.

    Well, that could be the result if the latest Defense Authorization Act (DAA) passes and is signed.

    Per the Army Times, 2015 DAA being considered by Congress

    . . . stipulates that Purple Heart medals will be awarded to “members of the armed forces killed or wounded in domestic attacks inspired by foreign terrorist organizations.”

    The Army Times article has more details. IMO, it’s worth a read.

    IIMO it’s way past freaking time for this to have happened. Better late than never, I guess.

  • Dakota Meyer trolls ISIS

    Dakota Meyer trolls ISIS

    Dakota & Fazel

    Chief Tango sends us a link to Scout.com where they quote Medal of Honor recipient Dakota Meyer saying what we’re all thinking;

    “Let me say what a lot of us are thinking…If ISIS is using social media to track me, that’s a dream come true in my book. These guys are a bunch of bullies that just prey on the weak,” says Meyer. “I can’t travel over there anymore now that I’m out of the Marine Corps, so having them come to me would help out a lot. ISIS targeting the U.S. military is like a sheep targeting a lion. Hopefully one of these assholes actually shows up. They’ll definitely get more than they want at my place!”

    He continues, “Actually, I think this warning should be taken seriously by all military members. I would hate for ISIS to go to anyone else’s home and for me to miss the opportunity to meet and greet them. I’ll take the responsibility to be the liaison for the military. I live in Columbia, Kentucky—oops, is that too much information? Oh well.”

    Yeah, I’ve got 8,000 rounds and don’t get to the range as often as I should, so it would be nice if the targets would come here for a change.