Category: Navy

  • “Unnamed officials” tell CNN that FITZGERALD collision was Navy’s fault

    “Unnamed officials” tell CNN that FITZGERALD collision was Navy’s fault

    CNN quotes unnamed officials who blame the Navy for the collision between USS FITZGERALD and the ACX Crystal last month which cost seven sailors their lives;

    The initial findings are just the first stage in what is expected to be a lengthy inquiry. Both officials said the initial investigation found that the Fitzgerald crew failed to understand and acknowledge the cargo ship was approaching and failed to take any action necessary to avoid the collision. It’s also not clear if the crew ever called the commanding officer to come to the bridge.

    The officials say investigators are also looking at the possibility that the ship was traveling at a higher speed than expected in order to reach a location it was due to arrive at the next next day.

    I don’t think it’s news that two people who may or may not have a connection to the investigation talk to CNN without giving their names. But, you know, CNN has such a great reputation for accurate coverage of news, who can doubt them (that was sarcasm).

    I’m only mentioning the story to stem the emails to my inbox. I have no confidence in this article.

    Update: Statement from the Navy;

    “We are in the early stages of the investigation process to develop a comprehensive picture of what caused the collision and do not have any definitive information to release at this time. It is premature to speculate on causation or any other issues. Once we have a detailed understanding of the facts and circumstances, we will share those findings with the Fitzgerald families, our Congressional oversight committees and the general public.”

  • James Elliot “Willie” Williams

    James Elliot “Willie” Williams

    Our buddy, Doug Sterner wrote an article about James Elliot “Willie” Williams in Vietnam Magazine, republished in History Net. Doug says that Williams was the most decorated enlisted sailor in the history of the US Navy. According to Military Times’ Hall of Valor, Williams earned three Purple Hearts, two Bronze Stars for Valor, a Silver Star, the Navy and Marine Corps Medal, a Navy Cross and the Medal of Honor – all while assigned to River Patrol Boat 105, River Section 531, My Tho Detachment from July, 1966 – January, 1967. You should read the citations at the Hall of Valor.

    Doug writes;

    When Williams returned home in spring 1967, he had a list of awards unmatched by any enlisted man in Navy history. He retired after 20 years of service and began a career in the U.S. Marshals Service.

    On May 14, 1968, President Lyndon B. Johnson presented Williams with the Medal of Honor. For his lifesaving actions at the sinking Jamaica Bay, he was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal, often called “the noncombat medal of honor.”

    During his last seven months in the Navy, Williams received every sea-service award for heroism including the Legion of Merit with “V,” two Navy Commendation Medals for valor and three Purple Hearts.

    Williams died on Oct. 13, 1999, and in 2003 his widow, Elaine, watched the launching of the Arleigh Burke class destroyer, USS James E. Williams.

  • Peter Mims, the lost sailor

    Peter Mims, the lost sailor

    You probably remember Peter Mims, the Navy sailor who was thought to be lost at sea for a spell while US and Japanese Navy vessels searched the seas for him, but he was discovered below decks of the USS Shiloh after 50 hours. Well, David sends us a link to Good Morning, America which reports the latest on the Navy’s hide-and-seek champion 1st Class;

    He attended an “Admiral’s mast,” a non-judicial punishment within the Navy, “due to the seriousness this had on the strike group and our Japanese allies,” Newell said.

    The charges violated the Uniform Code of Military Justice’s Article 86, abandoning watch, and Article 92, dereliction in the performance of duties.

    Newell said the Navy is looking into pursuing additional administrative actions against Mims. He could not speculate on whether other sailors on board the Shiloh were implicated in his disappearance.

  • FITZGERALD’s Commander Bryce Benson relieved for medical reasons

    David sends us a link to Reuters which reports that the guided missile destroyer USS FITZGERALD’s Commander Bryce Benson has been relieved of his duties temporarily because of injuries he sustained when his ship collided with the Philippine-registered ACX Crystal late last month;

    None of the investigations has apportioned blame for the accident, or explained how an advanced U.S. warship with sophisticated radars and trained lookouts sailing in clear, albeit dark, conditions was struck by a vessel more than three times its size.

    In the first detailed account from one of those directly involved in the collision, the cargo ship’s captain, in a report seen by Reuters, said the ACX Crystal signaled the Fitzgerald with flashing lights about 10 minutes before the collision, but that it did not respond or alter course.

    The U.S. Navy has said it would not comment until the investigations were complete.

    The destroyer is dry-docked at Yokosuka, Japan while it is undergoing repairs.

  • Pentagon sails destroyer near disputed island in South China Sea.

    Fox News is reporting USS Stethem, DDG 63, forward-deployed to Yokosuka, Japan, is conducting routine operations in the South China Sea. With a Chinese warship in trail, USS Stethem sailed within 12 nautical miles of Triton Island, part of the Parcel Islands located between China and Viet Nam.

    Occupied by China, but also claimed by Taiwan and Viet Nam, an unnamed defense official said that sailing inside the 12 mile limit challenged all three countries, and sends the message that the United States does not recognize their claims.

    This is the second Freedom of Navigation Operation, or FONOPS, mission carried out by the Trump administration, the previous one conducted last October, with the intent that they become routine. The Obama administration conducted similar operations.

    Lt. Cmdr. Matt Knight, a spokesman for the U.S. Pacific Fleet, would not confirm the operation but said in a statement to Fox News, “We conduct routine and regular FONOPs, as we have done in the past and will continue to do in the future.”

    Last May USS Dewey, DDG 105, sailed within about six nautical miles from Mischief Reef, one of China’s man-made islands in the South China sea, and conducted man overboard drills. This signaled China that the US does not recognize its claim to the reef, one of seven China has turned into artificial islands.

    “Fake islands should not be believed by real people,” said the head of the U.S. Pacific Command, Admiral Harry Harris, in a speech Wednesday in Brisbane, where the United States is participating in the largest ever joint military exercise with Australia, aimed in part to send a message to Beijing.

    China claims most of the South China Sea, where more than $5 trillion of commerce passes through each year.

  • Cmdr. Steven Everhart, sub commander sunk

    Cmdr. Steven Everhart, sub commander sunk

    Bobo sends us a link to The Navy Times which reports that yet another Navy commander has been relieved from his assignment;

    Cmdr. Steven Everhart was relieved Friday by Capt. Mark Schmall, head of Submarine Squadron 17, due to a loss of confidence in Everhart’s ability to serve as commanding officer, Submarine Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Corey Barker said in an email.

    Confidence in Everhart’s leadership began waning during an investigation that began about a month ago.

    Barker would not say what the nature of that investigation entails, citing the ongoing nature of the probe….

    Everhart, only took command of USS Pennsylvania in January, so how much could he screw up?

  • FITZGERALD Sailors honored

    FITZGERALD Sailors honored

    One of our ninjas sent us this video (from DVIDS) of the procession route that family of the seven sailors lost on the USS FITZGERALD last week took this morning to the service. The route was lined with their shipmates;

    YOKOSUKA (June 27, 2017) The Fleet Activities (FLEACT) Yokosuka community forms a line of honor supporting the family and shipmates of the seven Sailors assigned to Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) who were killed in a collision at sea. The family and shipmates were escorted through the lined streets of FLEACT Yokosuka to attend a memorial for the fallen Sailors. (U.S. Navy video by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Jess E. Toner/ Released)

    Here’s a map of the route (just under a mile long) from the chapel to the theater on Yokosuka;

  • Update on “Missing” Shiloh Sailor

    The Navy Times is reporting Petty Officer 3rd Class Peter Mims, who gained notoriety by hiding in USS Shiloh’s engineering spaces while presumed overboard, has been transferred to the brig at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, San Diego. He’s cooling his heels in pretrial confinement, awaiting a possible Court Martial.

    He was reported missing and presumed overboard 8 June, and was discovered by shipmates a week later, after a massive 50 hour search was conducted by US Navy and JMSDF ships and aircraft.

    Pacific Fleet spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Matt Knight said in an email:

    “We do not know all the details and motivations behind this Sailor’s week-long disappearance,” Knight said. “This matter remains under investigation, but early indications are that he had taken steps to avoid being found by other Sailors, who were actively attempting to locate him.”

    The investigation is ongoing and expected to conclude by late summer, he said. Investigators are interviewing sailors and reviewing records to construct an account of what happened.

    He needs a psych eval and a fair trial. And employment elsewhere.