Category: Feel Good Stories

  • Saturday Feel Good Stories

    https://www.azuse.cloud/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/AR-181018409-e1541785381879.jpg
    https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Charges-Dropped-Against-Virginia-Homeowner-Arrested-After-Airbnb-Renters-Trashed-His-House-500099551.html
    Charges Dropped for Virginia Man Arrested After Airbnb Renters Trashed His House

    The Loudoun County Commonwealth’s attorney dropped charges against a man arrested after he pointed a gun at a group of Airbnb renters who he said trashed his Virginia home.

    John A. “Jack” Andrews, 77, faced seven charges, including felony abduction, after holding several people at gunpoint.

    After an employee notified Andrews of significant damage at his $4 million Aldie home, he went there and found broken windows and doors, damaged furniture, glass everywhere and large blood stains throughout the rental property.

    He was met by about 12 people, according to a court filing. With gun drawn, Andrews told them to stay put while the sheriff was on the way. Some stayed at the scene, but others fled.

    But when deputies arrived, Andrews was the one handcuffed and charged. The guests were questioned and released.

    Those guests did not show up in court Thursday.

    Video of the brawl that caused the damage showed young men cutting each other with broken beer bottles.

    Andrews’ attorney argued his client was within his right to self-defense, the right to bear arms and the right to conduct a citizen’s arrest.

    Airbnb says incidents like these are few and far between, and the renters have been barred from using the site again.

    https://www.guns.com/news/2018/11/08/cab-driver-cleared-in-fatal-shooting-of-armed-robber-who-threatened-to-shank-him-video
    Cab driver cleared in fatal shooting of armed robber who threatened to ‘shank’ him

    Prosecutors have ruled the use of force by a Massachusetts cabbie who fought back after he was attacked by two men seeking to rob him as self-defense.

    Bristol County DA Thomas M. Quinn III last week said the unidentified Yellow Cab driver was cleared by his office in the Aug. 10 shooting that left one of his attackers, Christopher Dunton, 24, of New Bedford, dead.

    “After a thorough investigation, it is clear that the cab driver acted in lawful self-defense and the use of deadly force was justified under the circumstances,” Quinn said, as reported by South Coast Today.

    The second robbery suspect, Kyle S. Dawson, 23, of New Bedford, was indicted on multiple felony charges by a Bristol County Grand Jury in early October. According to prosecutors, Dawson and Dunton were picked up just before 1:00 a.m. by the cab driver from a local address and, once in the vehicle, the two men asked for change for a $50 then moved to rob the driver, placing him in a chokehold and pulling a knife.

    Assistant District Attorney Robert Digiantnmasco said at Dawson’s arraignment that Dunton held the cab driver by the neck while Dawson held a “black tactical knife” to the man’s side and “said they would shank him.”

    The cab driver was able to wrestle free and, a concealed carry permit holder, drew a gun and fired three rounds into the cab at the robbers, striking Dunton.

    Dawson, who has a lengthy criminal record, is facing trial on charges of involuntary manslaughter, armed assault with intent to rob, and two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

    OK, show of hands please. Is this the preferred format for the daily FGS, or yesterday’s? I know which one I prefer, but I’m willing to bow to the majority, if any.

  • Friday Feel Good Stories

    police

    Fences make for good neighbors. Of course, there wasn’t one.
    CBS Austin News

    Drunk brother grabs sister, and it gets all stabby.
    Muskegon Live

    Don’t bring pepper spray to, well, you know.
    Delaware On Line

    Here liberals become pro-gun after getting mugged. In Romania it takes a house breaking.
    Romania Insider

    Adding insult to injury, same Romanian fined.
    Romania Insider, Again

  • Thursday’s Feel Good  Stories

    Thursday’s Feel Good Stories

    crime scene

    Don’t marry crazy.
    Truth About Guns Link Fixed

    From the Department of Frivolous Lawsuits…
    TTAG Again.

    When Massad Aayoob speaks, I listen.
    Mas on Self Defense Training Video

  • Wednesday Feel Good Stories

    police

    Man attacked, then it gets all stabby.
    Twin Cities

    Poor victim selection skills.
    Montgomery Advisor

    Free AR-15s, Oy!
    America’s First Freedom

  • Friday Feel Good Stories

    From Wilted Willy:

    https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-port-orange-volusia-shooting-stalking-20181101-story.html

    An armed 32-year-old Port Orange man was shot at by law enforcement Wednesday night at a 7-Eleven and died of a gunshot wound to the head, Volusia County sheriff’s deputies said in a Facebook post this morning.

    The man, John Wurms, was taken by helicopter to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach, where he was pronounced dead. Authorities said he had pointed the gun at police when he was shot.

    The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating, Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood said.

    “The good thing, thank God, is, number one, our victim in this case….is alive,” he said.

    Chitwood said Wurms had committed several crimes since July and appeared to have “come off the rails.”

    Wurms was sought by Port Orange police after he reportedly threatened the woman, identified as the victim in a pending aggravated stalking case for which the man had been charged, deputies said in their overnight social media post.

    From AW1Ed:

    A trucker was uninjured Tuesday morning after defending himself against an attacker at a gas station in Florida.

    http://livetrucking.com/armed-trucker-able-to-defend-himself-against-gas-station-attacker/

    Police say the trucker was outside of a 7-eleven when a man suddenly attacked him.

    The incident happened at around 2:15 a.m. in Northeast Miami-Dade, Florida.

    Miami-Dade Police say that the trucker was standing outside his rig speaking to someone at a 7-eleven at 1000 Northeast 215th Street when a man suddenly came up and attacked him. Luckily, the truck driver was armed and was able to pull out his gun, opening fire on the assailant, who promptly fled to the 7-eleven building to find help.

    Excuse me, the assailant needed help? Glad the trucker’s okay.

    Next on our menu:

    http://www.southcoasttoday.com/news/20181031/da-quinn-cab-driver-acted-in-self-defense-in-fatal-shooting

    FALL RIVER — Bristol County DA Thomas M. Quinn III said his office has determined that a cab driver acted in self-defense when he shot and killed one of two men trying to rob him during a botched Aug. 10 holdup in New Bedford.

    “After a thorough investigation, it is clear that the cab driver acted in lawful self-defense and the use of deadly force was justified under the circumstances,” Quinn said in a statement released to the media Wednesday at the Superior Court arraignment of 23-year-old New Bedford resident Kyle S. Dawson, the surviving robbery suspect.

    The cab driver for the Yellow Cab Co. picked up Dawson and Christopher Dunton, 24, of New Bedford about 1 a.m. in the area of Cottage and Willis streets and drove them to Bentley Street in New Bedford’s near North End, four houses away from Dawson’s home, prosecutors said.

    Dawson asked the cab driver if he had change for a $50 bill and then Dunton placed him in a chokehold, while Dawson held a knife to his side, prosecutors said. The cab driver freed himself and fired three rounds into the cab, killing Dunton, investigators said. Dawson ran out the passenger side and door and was arrested later that day by police.

    “The victim was violently robbed by two men who threatened his life while choking him and putting a knife to his side,” Quinn said in the statement. “Fortunately, he was able to extricate himself and get out of the cab.

    But you’ll be pleased to know that the robbery suspect faces heftier charges.

    http://www.southcoasttoday.com/news/20181008/surviving-new-bedford-robbery-suspect-faces-heftier-charge

    Kyle S. Dawson, 23, of 28 Bentley St., Apartment 1, the surviving suspect in the Aug. 10 robbery in New Bedford, will be arraigned Oct. 31 in Fall River Superior Court, according to Gregg Miliote, a spokesman for Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III.

    A Bristol County Grand Jury indicted Dawson on charges of armed assault with intent to rob, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and involuntary manslaughter, Miliote said.

    The charge of involuntary manslaughter, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in state prison, is a new charge brought against Dawson by the grand jurors. Dawson is currently being held without bail at the Bristol County House of Correction, after a dangerousness hearing in New Bedford District Court.

    As if Pittsburgh needed this now.

    https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/11/01/police-medical-examiner-mount-oliver-home/

    MOUNT OLIVER (KDKA) – Allegheny County Homicide Unit Detectives said a suspect is dead after an attempted home invasion in Mount Oliver.

    Lt. Andrew Schurman said the man who resides in the home on Sherman Avenue shot and killed the intruder just after 5 a.m. Thursday.

    Detectives said the intruder had a weapon “similar to an assault rifle” and they think he entered through a second-story window.

    The homeowner, who was taken away for police questioning, said he believed the intruder had a weapon and shot him with his personal handgun.

    No charges have been filed.

    The identity of the deceased has not yet been released since investigators said he did not have any identification on him at his time of death.

    “The homeowner was the one who called 911 and was very cooperative with investigators,” said Lt. Schurman. “The victim, the burglar, the actor, was pronounced dead at the scene.”

     

  • Wednesday AM Feel Good Stories

     

    https://www.mrt.com/news/crime/article/OPD-Officer-involved-in-off-duty-shooting-13345835.php

    An Odessa police officer has been placed on restricted duty following an off-duty officer involved shooting, according to a press release from the Odessa Police Department.

    ttps://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/stephen-willeford-sutherland-springs-mass-murder/

    A year after this shoot ‘em up at a church on his block, the man who stayed home in case he might get a midnight plumbing call at a local hospital, and instead, ended up in a chase down a highway, believes that what happened that day was a battle between good and evil. He says he was terrified, but he thinks the calm he experienced was the Holy Spirit taking over. He tells people he thinks it was the Lord’s hand shielding him as the man doing evil fired over and over again in his direction. And looking back now, he feels like God had been shaping him every day of his life, carving him into the perfect tool for that day.

    There are a couple of good stories about dealing with bobcats here:

    https://sanangelolive.com/news/texas/2018-10-29/woman-shoots-and-kills-bobcat-her-backyard

    KTXS is reporting that Paula Kitchens was alerted to the cat prowling around her backyard by her dog barking. Kitchens six-year-old son plays in her back yard near Loop 322 and Oldham Lane.

    Coyotes and cougars will also stalk and kill your children and pets, if given the chance.

    And this lady killed a rabid bobcat with her bare hands:

    https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2018/06/georgia_woman_kills_rabid_bobc.html

    “They go for your jugular,” the Georgia woman recently told OnlineAthens. “Because when they can get the vein you’re dead in a couple of minutes.”

    That intel on the wildcat’s attack plan may have been what saved Phillips’ life. On June 7, the 46-year-old came face-to-face with a rabid bobcat, setting off a bare-knuckle death struggle between Phillips and the animal. She won – killing the cat with her hands.

    “I thought, ‘Not today,’” she told OnlineAthens. “There was no way I was going to die.”

    Phillips was taken to the hospital, where she was treated for cuts and gashes, as well as broken fingers. She also is undergoing treatment with the rabies vaccine.

    “It was either me or the cat and it was going to be the cat that day,” Phillips told WYFF.

  • Boston Gangster Found Dead in Prison- Update ‘Whitey’ Bulger beaten to death by prison inmates with possible mob ties

    whitey bulgerFILE – This June 23, 2011, file booking photo provided by the U.S. Marshals Service shows James “Whitey” Bulger. Bulger died in federal custody after being sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. Officials with the Federal Bureau of Prisons say he died Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018. (U.S. Marshals Service via AP, File) The Associated Press

    Update.

    Infamous Boston mob boss James “Whitey” Bulger, who was found dead at a West Virginia prison on Tuesday, appeared to have been fatally beaten by inmates with potential mob ties, according to a report.

    Bulger, 89, “was found unresponsive” around 8:20 a.m. Tuesday morning at USP Hazelton in Bruceton Mills, W.V., where he’d been in custody since Monday, the Bureau of Prisons said in a news release. Bulger was recently moved from a prison in Florida and had a stop in Oklahoma City before arriving in West Virginia.

    Two unidentified Bureau of Prisons employees told The New York Times that multiple inmates at the facility had beaten and ultimately killed Bulger. The suspected inmates were potentially “affiliated with the mob,” however details were unclear, one source told the outlet.

    More at Fox News

    Notorious Boston gangster James “Whitey” Bulger has died in federal custody nearly five years after being sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison.

    Looks like his sentence was carried out.

    James “Whitey” Bulger, the murderous Boston gangster who benefited from a corrupt relationship with the FBI before spending 16 years as one of America’s most wanted men, died in federal prison. He was 89.

    Bulger was found unresponsive Tuesday morning at the U.S. penitentiary in West Virginia where he’d just been transferred, and a medical examiner declared him dead shortly afterward, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Authorities did not immediately release a cause of death but said the FBI was notified and is investigating.

    Bulger, the model for Jack Nicholson’s ruthless crime boss in the 2006 Martin Scorsese movie, “The Departed,” led a largely Irish mob that ran loan-sharking, gambling and drug rackets. He also was an FBI informant who ratted on the New England mob, his gang’s main rival, in an era when bringing down the Mafia was a top national priority for the FBI.

    Bulger fled Boston in late 1994 after his FBI handler, John Connolly Jr., warned him he was about to be indicted. With a $2 million reward on his head, Bulger became one of the FBI’s “Ten Most Wanted” criminals, with a place just below Osama bin Laden.

    When the extent of his crimes and the FBI’s role in overlooking them became public in the late 1990s, Bulger became a source of embarrassment for the FBI. During the years he was a fugitive, the FBI battled a public perception that it had not tried very hard to find him.

    After more than 16 years on the run, Bulger was captured at age 81 in Santa Monica, California, where he had been living in a rent-controlled apartment near the beach with his longtime girlfriend, Catherine Greig.

    Well let’s all squeak out a tear for Whitey Bulger. Or not. I’d be interested in how the FBI justified using him as an informant, and how he was able to stay a free man for so long. Anyway, AMF Whitey; this qualifies as a Feel Good Story, but needed to stand alone.

    The article is cross posted from the AP’s Denise Lavoie’s article, which can be read at US News and World Report