Category: Crime

  • Lewis-McChord soldier stabbed to death

    You folks have been stuffing my inbox with the news of 20-year-old Tevin Geike who was stabbed near Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) when he was walking with a couple of his friends.

    From the Seattle Times;

    When one of the soldiers yelled back a comment about treating combat soldiers with disrespect, the car turned around and stopped next to them in a parking lot in the largely industrial area.

    Five men climbed out of the car, and surrounded the soldiers as the verbal confrontation continued.

    When the driver determined the men really were combat veterans, he summoned his passengers back to the car. As they were returning to the car, one them appeared to bump Geike, who fell to the ground as the car sped away.

    “It was then that they discovered the victim had been stabbed and was bleeding profusely. Geike died at the scene,” Lawler wrote in a news release.

    The video report is below the fold because I can’t turn off the autoplay;

    (more…)

  • MRAPs in your hometown

    USAToday writes that the feds have been giving away MRAPs, the mine-resistant ambush-protected trucks that are coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan to your local police departments;

    MRAPs did their job saving the lives of thousands of troops from roadside bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan. Now, they’ll be hitting the mean streets of Columbus, Ohio, where campus police at The Ohio State University can presumably bust beer bashes with the behemoths. Cops in Madison, Wis., another Big Ten party town, can presumably do the same with theirs.

    They’re free. Mostly. Which is a pretty good deal considering a fully tricked-out MRAP with bomb-signal jammers, radios and a .50-caliber machine gun in the turret can run about $1 million.

    But like buying a new car, there’s a destination charge involved, according to Mimi Schirmacher, a spokeswoman for the Defense Logistics Agency. If local police or state government pay shipping costs and justify the need, DLA is happy to put them behind the wheel of a 37,000-pound MaxxPro from Navistar.

    My biggest concern, among many that I have about this subject, is that criminals will take this as a challenge to up their games. I also think that the government should at least charge the police departments some money, provide some kind of reimbursement, anyway. Perhaps paying a couple hundred thousand dollars for these beasts would discourage police departments from looking like they’re at war with the rest of us. I’m all for saving lives, but do the police really need a vehicle designed to counter IEDs? And what the hell are campus security going to do with them?

  • Who’s Watching the Watchmen?

    From Fox News comes a story about a private citizen trying to exercise his 1st amendment rights in support of his 2nd amendment rights. It seems that someone didn’t like his sign…

    Jon Gibson, of rural Lake Lincolndale, about 50 miles north of New York City, told FoxNews.com he set up a hunting field camera near the sign, which reads “Protect the Second Amendment,” and features the silhouette of an assault rifle, after two mysteriously vanished.

    Imagine his surprise when his trail cam had these images….

    MOULTRIE DIGITAL GAME CAMERA

    MOULTRIE DIGITAL GAME CAMERA

    Yep, the local Constabulary was taking his signs

    “It was pure shock to see,” Gibson said to FoxNews.com about first seeing the video recorded on Monday. “He had a huge smile on his face as he’s kicking down the sign

    Now, to be sure, he is having his property re-surveyed to make sure he wasn’t violating any ordinances regarding how close to the right of way he could have a sign but wouldn’t you think the officer would walk up to the house, drop off the sign and let the property owner know why he was taking it down? After taking 3 signs, shouldn’t he be issuing a citation to the perpetrator of such deviant criminal behavior?

    Anecdotally, all of the LEO’s that I know are supporters of the 2nd amendment AND support concealed carry laws so I certainly wouldn’t paint all police as gun control advocates but WTH?

  • 13 shot in Chicago

    Andy sends us a link to a Fox News article about how 13 people were shot in Chicago at about 10 pm last night. One victim was a three-year-old boy. I guess the most obvious question, beyond the gun control issue, is; why was there a three-year-old out on the streets of Chicago at 10 o’clock at night?

    A witness, Julian Harris, told the Chicago Sun-Times that dreadlocked men fired at him from a gray sedan before turning toward Cornell Square Park and firing at people in the area. He said his 3-year-old nephew was wounded in the cheek.

    “They hit the light pole next to me, but I ducked down and ran into the house,” he said. “They’ve been coming round here looking for people to shoot every night, just gang-banging stuff. It’s what they do.”

    Police spokesman Ron Gaines says victims are being interviewed to determine the circumstances of the shooting, adding no one had been taken into custody.

    Since Chicago’s aim was to criminalize guns, I guess they got their wish – all of the criminals have guns.

    From the Chicago Sun Times;

    The 3-year-old’s uncle, Jerome “J Money” Wood, a rapper who was affiliated with Def Jam artist Durk “Lil Durk” Banks, was shot in the head and died on Sept. 2 in the 6600 block of South Rhodes in the Woodlawn neighborhood.

    Corey Brooks, pastor of New Beginnings Church on the South Side presided over Wood’s funeral. He said he was called early Friday to again comfort the family at the hospital.

    “They’re frustrated, upset and hurt and disappointed that this is just happening over and over and over in our community,” Brooks said.

    But, yeah, what we need is better background checks to keep guns out of the hands of these criminals who will, of course, go to a Federal Firearms Licensed dealer before they transfer ownership of their weapons.

  • Corkins sentenced

    Floyd Lee Corkins was sentenced today by U.S. District Court Chief Judge Richard W. Roberts to 25 years in prison for wounding two people at the Family Research Council headquarters about 13 months ago according to the Washington Post. Corkins was foiled by a security guard, Leo Johnson, who took three rounds while he wrestled the gun from the nut;

    In the most dramatic moment of the hearing, Johnson addressed Corkins directly from the courtroom lectern as more than a dozen of his colleagues from the Family Research Council watched.

    Johnson, 47, told Corkins: “Although I forgive you, I will never forget. I don’t know if I’ll ever be the same again.”

    Corkins, you may remember, chose the Family Research Council for his intended murderous rampage because the Southern Poverty Law Center labeled it a “Hate Group” on it’s Hate Map. Police say that Corkins had two other addresses of conservative organizations in his pocket which he intended to attack when he was done at the FRC;

    In a multimedia presentation in the courtroom, federal prosecutors described Corkins’s planning of the shooting as “deliberate and clear-headed.”

    The day before, Corkins had purchased 15 Chick-fil-A sandwiches that he carried in his backpack along with the 9mm SIG Sauer pistol he had bought earlier in the week. He planned to “smear” the sandwiches in the faces of his victims to make a political statement, according to court documents.

    Nice. The Post goes on to say that Corkins was being treated for mental problems;

    Six months before the shooting at the Family Research Council, Corkins was civilly committed to a mental hospital in San Francisco because he was having hallucinations and “thoughts of killing his parents and conservative right-wing Christians,” according to a memo his attorney prepared for sentencing.

    Corkins was diagnosed with a major depressive disorder with psychotic features and was taking medication to treat his illness.

    Yet he was still able to purchase a firearm legally. Sounds familiar doesn’t it? The prosecutor had asked for 11 1/2 years and the judge saw fit to double it plus more for good measure – just Corkins’ luck that his trial was scheduled for this week, I suppose. You’d think there’s be a law in DC that would prevent someone from bringing an unregistered gun into the District. Maybe they should make it a gun-free zone or something…oh, wait.

  • KC Mom hands son over to police

    In the polar opposite of the events to which we’ve grown accustomed in recent years, Michael Bray’s mom caught him on the TV news in a video shot while he was robbing a veteran along with several of his friends. She marched his ass to the local police station and turned him in. Here’s the video from KCTV;

    KCTV5

    Bray’s mother took him on Friday to the Kansas City Police Department’s Center Patrol Station. She told officers that she recognized her son from news footage and had confronted him about it. She said he admitted his involvement, according to court documents.

    According to court documents, Bray confessed to the crime after detectives agreed to work out a plea deal for him with prosecutors. He allegedly gave the handgun to someone else after the robbery to avoid getting caught.

    Good on Mom in a time when we’re used to seeing criminals’ family members declaring on the TV news “He didn’t do nuthin’” “He’s a good boy” “He’s not capable of doing that”. This is refreshing.

    Thanks to Brian for the link.

  • SWAT: Time to Rein In Excessive Response

    In my new home state of Arkansas — a beautiful, reasonably inexpensive place to live, which I recommend to all retirees — we recently had another unfortunate incident that should illustrate that the militarization of local police forces has gone far beyond the needs of the domestic communities those police forces are sworn to protect and serve.

    In Pine Bluff, an old, old man, reported to be 107, lost touch with the world in which he had lived so long and became agitated. The old codger fired a pistol at responding police officers, which immediately earned him a deadly SWAT team visit.

    Agreed, any perpetrator firing on arriving officers opens himself up to a world of hurt. You simply do not fire at men who are formidably armed and authorized to use deadly force under the auspices of their local government. Responding officers have little to no information upon their immediate arrival on the scene. Whatever transpires in that period of immediacy is usually accepted as the necessary police response required to suppress an extant threat to the public welfare with whatever amount of immediate force is required.

    But what is to be said of a heavily armed and armored tactical squad of large, fierce, armed, and armored men, who storm the small confines of a poor old man, who has endured penurious life for more than a century and whose mental faculties have surely by all that time been diminished, and shoot him dead? Yes, they used gas, but their version of events is that the gas failed to deter the intransigent old man. Excuse me, but I was a chemical and biological warfare NCO in the Army, who in years past conducted gas defense training, and I have to tell you: I don’t believe that explanation for a single minute. In the confined space of a small house, the effects of properly deployed CS gas grenades are incapacitating to young, trained, and prepared soldiers in their prime. To an old man over a hundred years, they would have to be damned near lethal.

    The explanation that the centenarian would, after such a gassing assault, be sufficiently capable of presenting a deadly threat to authorities would be laughable were it not so tragic. There’s an old military term, gung-ho, which describes an enthusiasm for the task or mission at hand. In my six years in the 101st and 82nd Airborne, it was frequently used in a positive manner, to define those dedicated to the success of a mission, but also in a derogatory manner to demean those who were too eager to accomplish the mission at whatever cost.

    And there lies the rub: based upon stories that come to us from around our country, there are far too many SWAT units being deployed to deal with situations that truly do not require their gung-ho military capabilities. It is of a piece with the growing tendency in community governments to over-respond to every minor disturbance, driven no doubt by the legal hyenas always lurking on the tort-defined peripheries of any community incident. I recently viewed a minor fender-bender in New Mexico, and present were seven emergency vehicles, including multiple fire trucks and ambulances, all with lights flashing and far too many personnel acting importantly and officiously. Four-lane traffic had to be directed to side roads — not because of the vehicles involved in the accident, but due to the completely road-covering spread of the various first-responders.

    That saddens me, because I’m a believer in effective policing and public safety within our communities. But I am fed up with this gross overreaction to minor disturbances that were once handled by an officer, or two at most, but that now require a major callout of community first responders. Every time all those people roll out, it costs the taxpayers and the insurance companies of the citizens involved unbelievable amounts. Justifications for larger annual budgets are based upon the number of times those units were deployed in the last budget cycle. Enter into this calculus the self-serving machinations of public service unions, and we are quickly looking at a scam of the taxpayers of major proportions. Ask yourself this: “How much is it costing me as a taxpayer to have all those unnecessary firemen and EMTs standing around observing the local cops sort out a fender-bender?”

    It’s the first responder equivalent of superfluous highway workers standing around leaning on their shovels while a few of them actually work. The term that survives from my youth is “featherbedding,” and it is apparently alive and well in public-service employment. That is maddening enough, but when such employment overkill and the required self-justifications result in the needless killing of a 107-year-old man, they have progressed beyond political corruption to a deadly vindicating of their existence that is unacceptable to the communities they profess to protect. That is not only sad; in some cases, it should be prosecutable.

    And please, spare me, those of you in public employment who would be eager to remind me that I wouldn’t be critical of the excessive turnout of first responders if it were my life on the line. Old, retired businessman and ex-Army NCO that I am, I would be demanding to my last breath:

    “Just what the hell is your function here?”

    Crossposted at American Thinker

  • Washington Post: Alexis had honorable discharge

    The Washington Post dug into Aaron Alexis’ past a little deeper today and it turns out that he did indeed have an honorable discharge;

    But the Navy clarified Tuesday that while the service had originally sought to kick out Alexis with a general discharge, those proceedings were moving slowly, and it was unclear whether the Navy had sufficient cause to push forward. So when Alexis applied on his own to leave the Navy in early 2011 with an honorable discharge, the service granted his request, the official said.

    The Post also reports that his military record was pock-marked with misbehavior;

    Alexis was cited at least eight times for misconduct for offenses as minor as a traffic ticket and showing up late for work but also as serious as insubordination and disorderly conduct, said a Navy official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the gunman’s personnel record.

    In addition to shooting the tires in Seattle, shooting the ceiling in Fort Worth, it seems that he shot through the wall in room in which he was living with his boss. But, you see, everyone let him off. If he had been prosecuted for just one of those incidents, he would have been unable to buy a gun. If the Navy had not given him an honorable discharge out of convenience, he probably wouldn’t have a contractor job.

    Police contacted him in Virginia and he told them that voices were coming to him through the walls and ceilings of his hotel rooms after a verbal altercation with someone on a flight from Virginia to Rhode Island.

    He always carried a gun and he always drank heavily and no one saw how the two could be a problem along with his breaks with reality. His actions yesterday were completely Alexis’ actions, he remains solely responsible for it. But there were signs that no one was willing to report or prosecute. There’s certainly no case for writing new laws here.