Category: Air Force

  • Sean Harvell passes

    Sean Harvell passes

    Sean_Harvell_Operation_Hawkeye

    The sad news comes to us that former Air force combat controller Sean Harvell’s lifeless body was found on a beach in California after someone fished him out of the water. The Air Force Staff Sergeant was awarded two Silver Stars for his actions in separate engagement in May and July 2007 – the first airman to be so awarded in the war against terror. His brother, Andrew, was killed in Afghanistan in 2011.

    From the Long Beach Post;

    According Sgt. Brad Johnson of the Long Beach Police Department (LBPD), officers were dispatched to a screaming subject on the beach around 1:00AM. Upon arrival, they discovered a private security person performing life-saving measures on the man, who had been found in the water.

    Officers attempted life saving measures as well, before the Long Beach Fire Department (LBFD) arrived and took over.

    The man could not be resuscitated, according to the LBFD’s Brian Fisk, and was determined deceased.

    He also starred in a recruiting video for the Air Force;

    The citations for his two Silver Star Medals are posted at Military Times’ Hall of Valor.

  • Russia’s Military Gets “Frisky”, Part 2

    We’ve now seen what the current         group of spineless, fearful naifs screwing up by-the-numbers in DC        Administration elected to do regarding the recent buzzing of a US warship in international waters by Russian military aircraft.  Specifically, they told Russia, “That wasn’t very nice!” – by sending a diplomatic protest – along with publicly saying, in effect, “Please don’t do it again. That could have ended badly.”

    Well, it appears Russia has given us their reply.  Last Thursday, a Russian SU-27 “barrel-rolled” a US RC-135 operating in international airspace over the Baltic Sea.  The Russian aircraft reportedly came within 50 feet of the US aircraft while doing so.

    OK, Mr. President – this time, Putin has not only given the US the finger with both hands.  He’s also mooned the Statue of Liberty, too.  And he did both while shouting Russian insults.  Your move.

    Here’s my prediction, based on past examples of “leadership” from this       gaggle of feckless fools      Administration.  Look for another “strongly worded diplomatic protest” tomorrow or the next day, along with another meaningless public platitude or two from the SECSTATE.

    Sheesh.  Putin and his cronies must be about to p!ss their pants from laughing at us so hard.  And from my perspective, that’s not terribly funny at all.

     

  • Murder/suicide at Lackland AFB

    Murder/suicide at Lackland AFB

    Lt. Col. William A. Schroeder

    On Friday, Technical Sgt. Steven D. Bellino killed Lieutenant Colonel William “Bill” Schroeder, commander of the 342nd Training Squadron at Lackland Air Force Base. Bellino then turned the gun on himself. The Washington Post says that Bellino was an FBI agent and an Army veteran of the Iraq War before he joined the AIr Force to become a pararescue “PJ”.

    Bellino, first identified by The Washington Post early Saturday afternoon, had previously worked for less than two years in the FBI, partly in the New York field office. It was not immediately clear how Bellino obtained the rank of technical sergeant, a mid-ranking enlisted airman, after serving in the Air Force for less than a year. But the Air Force does have a program that allows veterans with previous military experience to join the service full time to take specific jobs that are hard to fill, including pararescueman.

    The San Antonio Express-News says that Bellino went AWOL after failing the water endurance test and he was facing disciplinary proceedings the morning of the murder/suicide.

    On Friday Bellino came to Forbes Hall on the pretext of accepting nonjudicial punishment, according to the blog and law enforcement and military sources who spoke on background because of the ongoing investigation.

    […]

    When the assailant, armed with two Glock handguns, produced a weapon, Schroeder told the senior NCO, a first sergeant, to run.

    During the struggle, the technical sergeant fired at the first sergeant but missed her as she fled. Schroeder then fought with the assailant and was shot three times in the arm before being shot in the head.

    The account could not be confirmed by Air Force officials at Joint Base San Antonio, which is handling the case. The San Antonio Express-News asked to speak with someone from the command, but they declined to respond.

  • That retirement ceremony video

    That retirement ceremony video

    Air Force video

    A couple of people asked me what happened in this video;

    I’m still not sure I know – but apparently it was a clash of personalities. Someone wanted retired Senior Master Sgt. Oscar Rodriguez, the fellow being removed from the ceremony, to speak at his retirement ceremony and the commander didn’t want him to speak. There is a full explanation at John Q Public, the authority on all things Air Force.

    I read the whole thing, but it all seems rather childish to me. I know how I would have avoided the whole thing if I’d been any one of those folks.

    Also from Fox News;

    A spokesman from the reserve said that the confrontation stemmed from “an unplanned participation” at the event.

    “Rodriguez ignored numerous requests to respect the Air Force prescribed ceremony and unfortunately was forcibly removed,” a Travis official said in a statement to FoxNews.com. “We will continue to investigate the situation fully.”

    Neither Rodriguez nor the honoree could be reached for comment.

    There are other ways to occupy the Air Force’s time, I’m sure, you know, terrorists and all that.

    For some reason, last night the video was posted on Fox with no explanation, so everyone was confused. I’m still confused, if the truth is told.

  • Alicia Watkins; Air Force vet in the Trump campaign

    Alicia Watkins; Air Force vet in the Trump campaign

    Watkins trump

    Early last week, this person, Alicia Watkins, presented herself to presidential candidate, Donald Trump, as a journalist with press credentials. Somehow she had convinced someone at the Trump campaign that she was a reporter for Troops Media, so they gave her credentials. Five seconds of investigation later determined that she wasn’t, but by that time Donald had hired her for his campaign staff. She is fairly attractive, so I’m guessing that was a major factor in Trump’s decision, but it is what it is. Anyway, folks began to question her story immediately. It turns out that she has been on the Oprah Show claiming to be a homeless Air Force veteran. She has claimed that she was injured in the 9-11-2001 attack on the Pentagon, she has also claimed that she was injured in an IED explosion when she was stationed in Afghanistan. So, you know, being the diligent reporters that we are, we applied for a FOIA on her military records.

    So while we were doing the background, John Q. Public, a blog about Air Force issues, wrote their own breathless piece about her. They admitted that she may have been at the Pentagon and they admitted that she was in Afghanistan in 2006. So I thought they had a FOIA on her, so I wrote to them. Turns out that no, they didn’t have a FOIA, so I’m not sure where they got their information. In the meantime, Watkins got wind of the fact that people were looking into her background, so she reached out to our buddy, Bulldog at Guardian of Valor. She promised him documentation for her claims. In fact, she sent this letter to him;

    Watkins Wounded Warrior

    It’a letter from an unknown Air Force officer attesting to her status as a wounded warrior. The signature block and contact information are blacked out, so it’s pretty useless. We were in the process of checking on the letter, when the Air Force Times decided to interject themselves into the process, they claim that they have talked with the Air Force Personnel Center in San Antonio, Texas.

    In 2014, Watkins appeared in a news segment aired by WJLA-TV, Washington’s ABC affiliate, touting the therapeutic benefits of riding horses. She repeated the story about having suffered physical and emotional injuries due to combat, telling the WJLA reporter that she served in Afghanistan and Iraq. “I experienced IEDs, suicide bombers,” Watkins said in that report.

    Watkins deployed to Qatar in 2003 and to Afghanistan in 2006, Dickerson said. There is no record of her deploying to Iraq in the information AFPC provided.

    Watkins joined the Air Force in 1998 and retired as a staff sergeant after nine years and six months of service, Dickerson said. She was in the information management career field, working as a network engineer.

    Watkins served at the Pentagon from October 2000 to July 2004, time that included her deployment to Qatar, Dickerson [a spokesman for the Air Force Personnel Center in San Antonio, Texas] said. She also served at Los Angeles Air Force Base from July 2004 to her retirement in May 2008, time that included her deployment to Afghanistan.

    According to the Air Force Times, there is no evidence that she was injured either in the Pentagon, or Afghanistan but she wore the Purple Heart on her Air Force uniform during some of her media appearances;

    Purple-Heart-1024x597

    I suspect that the imperative to discredit a woman of color who supports Trump overrides most of the cautions that everyone would normally exercise in this situation. While I don’t think that Watkins is being entirely truthful, I don’t have the proof in front of me which tempers my writing at this point. We’re still waiting for the National Personnel Records Center to answer our request.

    I will ask your help in verifying the document above, if any of my readers has experience in the Air Force wounded warrior community. Personally, I don’t see a need to even create a document like that, unless the intent is to deceive. But that’s just a feeling I have.

  • Another Senior Officer Self-Terminates A Career

    Looks like yet another senior military officer has self-terminated their career.

    Lt. Gen. John Hesterman, USAF Assistant Vice-Chief of Staff, has been relieved and will retire.  He was relieved due to having an “unprofessional relationship with a junior officer”.

    Specifically, Hesterman was found to have exchanged inappropriately-worded emails with an Air Force Lieutenant Colonel (from excerpts quoted, apparently female) between March 2010 and May 2011.  No other evidence of misconduct was found.

    Hesterman had recently commanded the air campaign against ISIS.

    This case may well be nothing more than an example of the appearance of impropriety vice actual misconduct.  Other accounts indicate there was more to the matter.  Dunno.

    Either way, it doesn’t matter.  For those in very senior positions – enlisted or officer – mere appearance of impropriety matters.  (It goes without saying that actual impropriety matters.)  Every damn thing leadership does is watched by subordinates; that’s inherent in accepting such an assignment.  And you can bet your last dollar that everything the CG or his/her SEA does is noticed – and that word gets around.

    Both Fox News and the Air Force Times have articles on the matter.  By reading both (neither is very long), IMO you can get a reasonable idea of what happened.

    You might have gotten a raw deal, General.  Or you might have deserved this.  But either way you did this to yourself by forgetting that you were – in essence – a public figure and under the proverbial “microscope”.

  • Air Force clarifies weapon policy

    Air Force clarifies weapon policy

    air force weapon policy

    Fox News reports that the Air Force has told base commanders that they can authorize folks on their bases to carry weapons in order to enhance security on the military installations;

    The military branch earlier this month sent out a letter to its base commanders around the nation reminding them that they can authorize subordinates to carry guns, even while off-duty and out of uniform. It also established three programs to help ensure that armed service members are in a position to protect their bases.

    “None of these programs gives the installation commander authorizations they didn’t already have the authorization to do,” Maj. Keith Quick, the Air Force Security Forces Integrated Defense action officer, said in a statement according to Military.com. “We are now formalizing it and telling them how they can use these types of programs more effectively.”

    The decision came as a result of the service’s examination of data available on the actual State of the Union, according to Military.com;

    The Air Force also did not release the data showing how many active-shooter incidents were stopped by someone on the scene carrying a weapon. A spokeswoman said the data came from the FBI, and cannot be released by the Air Force.

    The Air Force has three programs to prepare members of that service for carrying weapons on base.

    Under the Unit Marshall Program, unit commanders can have airman to train under Security Forces personnel and open-carry an M9 pistol at their duty location.

    Airmen selected for UMP would be instructed in use of force, weapons retention and weapons training. The role of these airmen would be to protect themselves, their immediate work space and the people within it, Quick said.

    […]

    Commanders also can take advantage of the Security Forces Staff Arming program, which enables SF airmen working in staff billets at the squadron, group, wing or major command levels to carry a government-issued weapon while on duty, with the approval of the installation commander.

    And, finally, there’s the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act;

    [Major Keith Quick, the Air Force Security Forces Integrated Defense action officer] said the Air Force now allows its members to request LEOSA credentialing.

    “This affects base personnel because we have given the option to the installation commander to allow security forces members to carry under LEOSA on the installation while they are off duty,” Quick said.

  • Air Force retires plan to retire A-10

    Air Force retires plan to retire A-10

    A10 Thunderbolt

    3E9 sends us a link to the Defense News which reports that Air Force Vice Chief of Staff General David Goldfein claims that the world has changed since the Air Force last decided to take the A-10 Thunderbolt, the Air Force’s flying tank, out of the inventory.

    “What happens is that life gets in the way of the perfect plan,” Goldfein said. “So when we made the decision on retiring the A-10, we made those decisions prior to ISIL, we were not in Iraq, we were coming out of Afghanistan to a large extent, we didn’t have a resurgent Russia.”

    Shelving the A-10 retirement plan is a key policy shift that the Pentagon will reportedly lay out next month in its fiscal 2017 budget request, according to a Jan. 13 Defense One article.

    Top officials had already hinted the Air Force could push off retirement of the A-10 by a few years to meet commanders’ demand for the close-in attack plane, beloved by troops for the distinctive roar of its Gatling gun. The service needs more close-air support to protect troops on the ground in Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria, and for the possibility of missions in trouble spots, such as Libya or Yemen, according to Air Combat Command chief Gen. Herbert “Hawk” Carlisle.

    I can count three times in the last three decades that events have saved the A-10 – mostly because there’s nothing on the fightline to replace the ugly, effective creature. By the way, we don’t love the Warthog because of the sound of the Gatling gun, we love it because it kills bad guys in droves and it has no equal. Just the sight of the aircraft scares the life out of it’s perspective targets and raises morale of the good guys on the ground.