Author: AW1Ed

  • Electronics Ban Due to Yemen Raid

    It seems Intel sources fear terrorists can now make bombs as small as computer batteries, resulting in the ban on carry-on electronics at selected foreign airports.

    “Intelligence sources say that the ban on carry-on electronics aboard U.S.-bound flights from 10 airports in North Africa and the Middle East was the result of information seized during a U.S. raid on Al Qaeda in Yemen in January. The United Kingdom joined the U.S. ban Tuesday.

    Information from the raid shows al Qaeda’s successful development of compact, battery bombs that fit inside laptops or other devices believed to be strong enough to bring down an aircraft, the sources said. The battery bombs would need to be manually triggered, a source explained, which is why the electronics ban is only for the aircraft cabin not checked luggage.

    The U.S. Department of Homeland Security publicly cited two attacks on flights in the last two years, the downing of a Russian jet over the Egyptian Sinai in October 2015 and an attempt that nearly succeeded in bringing down a jet that had taken off from Mogadishu, Somalia last year and made an emergency landing after an explosion ripped open its cabin. The insurgent group Al-Shababb claimed credit for getting a laptop onboard the flight that had been rigged as a bomb.

    “Since they weren’t high enough, the explosion wasn’t catastrophic to the plane and they were able to land,” one source told The Daily Beast. “The bomber got sucked out of the hole, but it was proof of concept.”

    The chief bomb maker for Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, Ibrahim al-Asiri, has been working on packing even smaller devices.”

    Be a real shame if a JDAM parked itself on Ibrhim’s passenger seat, while he was driving.

    More here.

     

  • Third Appeal for Bergdahl Filed

    Bowe’s lawyers are at it again, filing yet another appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces on the issue of President Trump’s undue command influence. The previous appeals were denied by lower courts because his remarks were made as a private citizen.

    “Attorneys for accused Army deserter Bowe Bergdahl took their third shot Thursday at getting his case tossed, once again arguing that President Trump blew their client’s chance of a fair trial when he called the sergeant and former Taliban captive “a dirty, rotten traitor.”

    In a 50-page appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, Bergdahl’s legal team argued that the “unprecedented circumstances” of then-candidate Trump calling Bergdahl a traitor and suggesting he should be executed create an “unlawful command influence.”

    The term refers to a military legal concept in which someone in authority attempts to influence military judicial proceedings.”

    Seems to me they’re grasping at straws, and this is the only argument the lawyers can make. Because Trump, “by not repudiating his earlier statements, President Trump brought them with him”  And “They cannot be scrubbed from the record as if he had simply put on a clean shirt for the Inauguration,” Bergdahl’s team wrote.

    Pretty weak. Perhaps if Bowe had not deserted his post and sought out the enemy during a time of conflict, endangering his fellow troops, none of this would be occurring. My personal feelings aside, Bowe is most likely to receive a Dishonorable Discharge, reduction in to rate to E-1, and do some hard time. Despite the efforts of his lawyers.

  • DPRK Readying Next Nuke Test

    NDtBF is at it again- can’t feed his people but he can afford to pop another A-Bomb, and soon.

    ‘“The test could come as early as the end of the month,” said one official.’

    Both the Russians and the US have prepositioned surveillance aircraft to the area to monitor the air post blast. Ours is an Air Force WC-135 Constant Phoenix bird, and the Russians have deployed an Antonov An-30R reconnaissance aircraft.

    “The Pentagon is increasingly concerned about North Korea’s ability to miniaturize a nuclear warhead and eventually place it on a ballistic missile. Each missile brings North Korea closer to achieving that goal, according to defense analysts.

    In his New Year’s address, Kim Jong-un said his nation has “entered the final stage of preparation for the test launch of intercontinental ballistic missiles.”

    Earlier this month North Korea launched four ballistic missiles, which landed 190 miles from Japan, an indication North Korea was simulating a more sophisticated attack to overwhelm anti-ballistic missile systems in Japan.”

    No doubt this is partly in response to SecState Tillerson’s comments concerning the Norks and their weapons programs:

    “Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson, in a visit to South Korea, said if North Korea increased “the threat of their weapons program” to an unacceptable level, the Trump administration would consider action. “The policy of strategic patience has ended,” Mr. Tillerson said.”

    Sounds like the grownups are in charge, and Laughing Boy isn’t happy about it.

    More Here.

     

     

  • General Order #1

    My how times have changed. While searching for 250,000-year-old flint tools, Israeli archaeologists have discovered a a more modern find — century-old liquor bottles that belonged to British soldiers in World War I.  Of course, they were empty.

    “Excavation director Ron Toueg says uniform buttons, belt buckles and riding equipment were found near the city of Ramle in addition to the bottles of gin, whiskey and wine. He said it offered a glimpse into “the everyday life and leisure of the soldiers.”

    The items appear to have belonged to members of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force commanded by General Edmund Allenby.”

    Back in the ancient days of Gulf War, Round I, I can neither confirm nor deny the traffic of contraband 1.75 liter jugs of vodka arriving via Navy P-3C Orion in what was termed, The Sensor One Station Duty Free Locker. Seems I was the Sensor One.

    Zum Wohl!

    http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2017/03/22/israeli-archeologists-uncork-liquor-bottles-abandoned-british-wwi-troops/

     

     

     

  • Stevie Ray Vaughan

    SRV was an extraordinary guitar talent, known for his bluesy rock and roll. I came across this in my wanderings around the interwebs, and thought I’d share. Enough of this, watch and listen to a master.

     

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSLc0tCnOrM

  • Fake Cop Arrested in Calvert County on Gun and Other Charges

    Fake Cop Arrested in Calvert County on Gun and Other Charges

    These guys, in their way, are worse than Stolen Valor posers, as their crimes can go far beyond money scams. Our local Sheriff’s department take a very dim view of police fakes, and reacts strongly when one is encountered. Like Mr. Holland, here.

    “On Monday, March 6, 2017 at approximately 2:30pm units from the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office Crime Suppression Team attempted to stop a black Crown Vic on Dorsey Road in Prince Frederick for several equipment violations.  The vehicle did not immediately stop, but instead continued to a driveway further down Dorsey Road.  The driver, identified as Robert Paul Holland, 25, of Prince Frederick, was observed reaching in other areas of the vehicle.  A K-9 scan of the vehicle produced a positive alert indicating the odor of a controlled dangerous substance.  A further search of the vehicle revealed the following:

    • Black collapsible ASP style baton
    • Empty 30 round .223 caliber magazine
    • Red and blue police style light on the sun visor
    • Dash camera video recorder
    • Police style flashing light for the rear window
    • Panasonic CF30 Toughbook
    • Binoculars
    • Speed loader pouch
    • .223 caliber magazine with 17 rounds loaded (trunk)
    • AR-15 style stock (trunk)
    • Black rubber gloves

    It was learned that Mr. Holland was prohibited from possessing any firearms or any ammunition.  Mr. Holland was arrested for possession of a dangerous weapon (ASP baton), and possession of ammunition by a prohibited person.  Based on information learned during the investigation a search warrant was obtained for Mr. Holland’s residence on Macs Hollow Road, Prince Frederick.  On March 7 at 12:30am, a search warrant was conducted by members of the Criminal Investigative Bureau and the Special Operations Team.  Several items were seized during the search warrant, including a stolen Smith and Wesson AR-15 Rifle.  Based on evidence seized at the residence, Mr. Holland was also charged with being in possession of a stolen firearm.

    A further investigation is still being conducted into the police style equipment located in the vehicle and at the residence.”

    Mr. Holland has numerous vehicle violations, and a criminal past including assault, destruction of property, theft, and now these new charges. If history is any indicator, the PRofMD will sternly warn him to cease this behavior and set him free, to doubtless become a model citizen.

    Or something.

     

  • Good News Over at the EPA.

    President Trump’s appointment to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Scott Pruitt may be many things, but a believer in man caused global warming is not one of them.

    ‘Asked his views on the role of carbon dioxide, the heat-trapping gas produced by burning fossil fuels, in increasing global warming, Mr. Pruitt said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” that “I think that measuring with precision human activity on the climate is something very challenging to do and there’s tremendous disagreement about the degree of impact, so, no, I would not agree that it’s a primary contributor to the global warming that we see.”’

    The quote is from The New York Times, so the phrase “…heat-trapping gas produced by burning fossil fuels, in increasing global warming…” is a bit disingenuous, if unsurprising.

    Also to the good, the EPA’s head of Environmental Justice just resigned. What, you didn’t know the EPA has a department, funded by tax dollars, that deals in environmental justice issues? Me neither. It was headed by a fellow named Mustafa Ali, who has resigned in response to upcoming EPA budget cuts, cuts on the order of 20% of the 15,000 current staff, and ¼ of it’s budget of $8 billion. I would say Mustafa saw the writing on the wall, and quit before they fired him.

    Here’s a link to a remarkably unhelpful page about EJ 2020:

    https://www.epa.gov/environmentaljustice/about-ej-2020#about

    I’ll save you the pain. By 2020, the Environmental Justice Department of the EPA will:

    • Improve on-the-ground results for overburdened communities through reduced impacts and enhanced benefits
    • Institutionalize environmental justice integration in EPA decision-making
    • Build robust partnerships with states, tribes and local governments
    • Strengthen our ability to take action on environmental justice and cumulative impacts
    • Better address complex national environmental justice issues.

    Bill Shakespeare would call this Sound and Fury, but signifying nothing. And he’d be right. I call the budget  cuts a pretty good start.

    Read more at:

    http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/03/11/delingpole-pruitt-says-no-co2-social-justice-epa/

     

  • OMB- “Dramatic” Cuts to Foreign Aid

    The Trump administration will propose cuts to foreign aid, according to Office of Management and Budget (OMB) director Mick Mulvaney. The money saved will be spent here.

    “By the 16th of March, we’ll be able to roll out the full spending budget,” Mulvaney told Fox News.

    “We are going to propose to reduce foreign aid and we are going to propose to spend that money here,” he added, explaining that the reductions will be “fairly dramatic.”

    “The overriding message is fairly straightforward, which is, less money spent on folks overseas — more money spent on folks back home,” he said.

    Earlier this week, the White House proposed cutting the budgets of the State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development by 37 percent in an effort to significantly increase defense expenditures.

    https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-proposes-cutting-state-department-budget-by-one-third-1488306999

    The usual suspects are, of course, vehemently opposed. Can’t say I’m too impressed at the outrage, considering the sources. US Agency for International Development? Shut it down.

    JMHO, YMMV.