Author: Jonn Lilyea

  • 4 HH-60 crew members identified

    4 HH-60 crew members identified

    Stars & Stripes reports that the HH-60 Pave Low that crashed yesterday was from the New York Air National Guard’s 106th Rescue Wing, based in Westhampton Beach on Long Island. It went down near the town of Qaim in Anbar province and enemy action is not the cause of the crash, according to the Pentagon.

    Four members of the 7-man crew lost in the crash are identified as Chistopher Raguso, a lieutenant with the New York Fire Department’s Company 4, Fire Marshal Christopher “Tripp” Zanetis, a New York City firefighter since 2004, Staff Sergeant Dashan Briggs a husband and father of two children, and Air Force Staff Sergeant Carl Enis, a 31-year-old Pinecrest, Fla. native, a pararescueman and a member of the 308th Rescue Squadron from Patrick Air Force Base.

    A second helicopter accompanying it immediately reported the crash and a quick reaction force of Iraqi and coalition forces secured the scene, officials said.

  • “Stolen Valor bandits” sentenced

    Last year, we talked briefly about the crooks that police called the “Stolen Valor bandits” because they wore Marine Corps uniforms while they robbed local San Diego businesses. They pleaded guilty last November and they were sentenced this week, according to Fox5;

    David Magana, 28, pleaded guilty last year to 11 counts of robbery, conspiracy, auto theft and personal use of a firearm and was sentenced to 22 years behind bars.

    Joseph Olmos, 25, pleaded guilty to eight robbery charges, conspiracy, auto theft and evading police and received 16 years in prison.

    Judge Kathleen Lewis really whacked them good.

    The robbery spree — dubbed the “Stolen Valor” bandit series because of the military gear worn in at least one of the holdups — happened between January and March 2016 at five establishments, including BBB Shoes in National City, Sombrero’s on West Main Street in El Cajon and Jamba Juice on College Grove Way. In two other robberies, the thieves got away with more than $800 and a person’s wallet, authorities said. In the March 3, 2016, robbery at Sombrero’s, one of the robbers fired a shot as the criminals made their getaway, Koerber said.

    Magana was living in his car at the time of his arrest, so he was probably on someone’s list of homeless veterans.

  • Garry Kaspar; phony Ranger, phony hero

    Garry Kaspar; phony Ranger, phony hero

    Someone sent us their work on this fellow, Garry Kaspar, who had claimed to folks that he was an Army Ranger on his résumé and to prove his military service, he had one of Bob Neener‘s Silver Star certificates;

    Well, after we filed for Garry’s records, he turned up dead;

    We’re not sure what the cause of his death was, and as far as I know, Kaspar wasn’t aware of our investigation. It doesn’t appear that he tried to take his valor to the grave with him, going by the various obituaries posted on the internet. That’s good, though, because the NPRC responded “Who?”

  • Saturday morning feel good stories

    Saturday morning feel good stories

    From Weakley County, Tennessee;

    The Weakley County Sheriff’s Department says around 11:12 p.m., multiple 911 calls were made about someone breaking into a house and shots being fired.

    The incident happened at an apartment complex near McKenzie, Tennessee on State Highway 124.

    Deputies say 40-year-old Terry Lee Haynes of McKenzie was shot after he broke into the apartment by kicking in a sliding glass door and confronting the resident of the apartment in his bedroom.

    Haynes died at the scene.

    From Avondale, Arizona;

    The fight stemmed from accusations of infidelity and Quintana allegedly refused to allow the victim to leave, court documents said.

    At one point, Quintana allegedly forced the woman at gunpoint to drive him around Avondale and Phoenix before getting out of the car at an Avondale house. The woman told officers the suspect broke her phone during the assault.

    The next day, the victim returned to her home with one of her kids to get a few personal items because she planned to stay with family, court paperwork said.

    When the woman was walking up to the home, Quintana allegedly appeared from around the back of the house and ordered her to go inside, court documents said. The victim refused and requested that she be allowed to drop off the child at her parents’ house before going inside.

    According to court documents, the man went with the woman to drop off the child and threatened to “kill everyone” if she tried to get out of the car.

    When the child heard this and began to cry, Quintana turned to talk to the child. When his back was turned the victim grabbed his gun and got out of the car, court documents said.

    After the woman got ahold of his gun, the suspect got out of the car and ran away while the victim shot at him three times, hitting him twice in the left leg. He left the scene but was located by police officers a short time later.

  • Weekend open thread

    Weekend open thread

    March 16, 2018

    Hold Steady

    A sumo wrestler displays determination and concentration before a bout. A long exposure captures the movement of people walking around the ring, carrying flags that display names and logos of sponsors providing the prize money for the winner.

  • Code Pink hates JROTC

    Code Pink hates JROTC

    Code Pink was worried that no one was paying attention to them, so they decided to attack the JROTC program along with the NRA boogeyman.

    It’s because the Florida school gunman was supposedly in JROTC where he received some airgun marksmanship training from the NRA. Of course, Code Pink ignores the three JROTC cadets that tried to save their schoolmates from the gunman;

    And, oh, by the way, JROTC produces hundreds of good citizens who benefit from an education that the rest of their peers won’t get in school. Like these Chicago students who decided to use their 17 minutes of remembrance to trash and steal from a nearby WalMart, you know, in spite of the fact that WalMart conceded to Leftist gun hysteria and stopped selling modern sporting rifles.

    Shoppers and store employees were stunned by the destruction Wednesday morning at the Walmart in Chatham Market on the South Side.

    Chicago police say it started when students at neighboring Simeon Career Academy were allowed to leave the school for 17 minutes to take part in the nationwide walkout to protest guns.

    Police say between 40 and 60 of those students crossed the street and trashed parts of the store, knocking over product displays, yanking items off shelves, breaking packages and stealing small items like chips and candy.

    Code Pink has been on the wrong side of history since their founding, so I guess I shouldn’t expect a change anytime soon.

  • Wounded Warrior Fund scammers arrested

    Wounded Warrior Fund scammers arrested

    Bert sends us a link to CNN which reports that four people were arrested in New Albany, Indiana for scamming well-meaning folks with their phony charity named the Wounded Warrior Fund (not the better-known Wounded Warrior Project) out of over $150,000. The four are Joanie Watson, Thomas Johnson and Amy Lou Bennett led by 44-year-old James Linville;

    Linville worked with three associates to defraud more than 1,000 victims and collect more than $150,000 in traceable donations over six years, according to investigators. The indictment alleges they told donors 100% of their contributions would go to veterans and their families. Investigators say no money went toward veterans.

    The Justice Department publicly announced the charges Friday morning. “The acts of these fraudsters have eroded the trust and good will of those who want to contribute to legitimate fundraising organizations, including those that support our veterans,” US Attorney Josh Minkler said in a statement on Friday. “Our American veterans have dutifully served this country through many wars and deserve better than to be deprived of donations from giving donors,” Minkler said.

    The four are suspected of using aliases to make cold calls and flyers and to seek business donations to help veterans and active-duty service members and their families in need — payable in cash, checks, gift cards or in-kind donations, according to law enforcement.

    The Secret Service told CNN that none of the four had ever served in the military, even though Linville made cold calls identifying himself as “Sergeant Bob Davis”. They each face 20 years for 227 counts of wire fraud, mail fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud and conspiracy to commit mail fraud.

    They are also accused of calling local businesses to have food, hotels and services “comped” for veterans. “The free hotel rooms were often used for members of the conspiracy and others to engage in drug activity,” a law enforcement source with knowledge of the case tells CNN.

    Those non-cash donations added up, said Clark County Sheriff Jamey Noel. “This organization — this fake organization — was asking people for food donations, for hotel rooms for veterans, for donations from different businesses that would be raffled or organized off for this, what people thought was a legitimate organization,” he said.

    Linville, who has a criminal history that includes drugs, check fraud and domestic battery, left threatening messages for investigators;

    In July 2017, Linville told the detective, “You’ve got some problems coming, bud…you’ve got major problems…put me in jail, I dare you.”

    Linville did not stop. “I’ll make a mockery of your court. I’m a sovereign citizen, mother***er. American born sovereign citizen.

    Your f*****g state laws don’t apply to me in any way,” Linville told the detective on his recorded voicemail. “I will make a mockery of your f*****g court. And I’ll destroy the sheriff’s department.”

    I wonder how he’s getting along with LEOs today.

    Dumbass.

  • Seven service members killed in helicopter crash

    CNN reports that seven members of the military were killed in a Pave Hawk helicopter crash in Iraq;

    Army Brig. Gen. Jonathan P. Braga, the director of operations for the combined task force leading the fight against ISIS in the region, said all personnel aboard the HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopter were killed.

    The military said the crash, which is under investigation, “does not appear to be a result of enemy activity.”

    The names of those aboard the helicopter were not immediately released pending the notification of next of kin.