Category: Veterans in the news

  • Don Ballard, Medal of Honor recipient, burglarized

    Don Ballard, Medal of Honor recipient, burglarized

    Donald Everett Ballard was a corpsman assigned to a Marine company on May 16, 1968 when he selflessly shielded his Marines from a grenade blast with his own body. Luckily, the grenade failed to detonate, but his actions that day earned him the Medal of Honor. He has since that moment spent his life in service to veterans and Boy Scouts, and that is what he was doing in Washington, DC when thieves broke into his business and took more than $100,000 in property and cash, according to the Kansas City Star;

    “I’m sick, lost for words,” Ballard said Tuesday by phone.

    Ballard has long been affiliated with Forgotten Veterans and its parent group, National Combat Medical Memorial & Youth Education Center. Aside from helping with burials, the group also funds outdoor learning facilities and camping trips for Boy Scout groups. Weapons stolen from Ballard were used for educational purposes with the scouts.

    The stolen cash, which Ballard estimated at $25,000, was to be used for caskets and burial markers for vets. “They’re essentially stealing from dead veterans,” he said.

    His Medal of Honor ring was also taken. Coins and various honors awarded to him during past Medal of Honor events are gone. A coin enthusiast, his many gold coins collected over a lifetime were stolen.

    “It’s a lot of stuff I’ll never be able to recover,” Ballard said. “The person who stole this will probably melt it down. They won’t see the core value of it.”

  • Saudis use vets as pawns to fight JASTA

    The government of Saudi Arabia doesn’t much like the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA) because it makes them liable for the events that occurred in New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia on September 11, 2001. So, according to some military veterans and the New York Post, the Saudis are using veterans to lobby Congress on their behalf and many of those veterans aren’t aware of the fact that they’re lobbying for the Saudis.

    Vets complain they’re not only being misled but openly lied to. During one recent trip, an organizer denied any “Saudi involvement” in sponsoring the trip, even though federal filings show the organizer has a $100,000 contract with the Saudis and is a registered foreign agent for the kingdom.

    In their recruiting pitch to vets, the Saudi lobbyists, who pose as veteran advocates, claim that JASTA exposes them as well as “150,000 [US] military personnel stationed in over 150 countries” to “retaliatory lawsuits” in foreign courts — even though international law experts note that JASTA deals only with the immunity of foreign states, and poses little if any risk to individuals.

    […]

    Former [Marine Sergeant Timothy Cord, who served in Iraq] said the trip leader, Jason E. Johns, shot down any concerns about Mideast sponsorship as soon as the vets arrived in DC. “He stood up the first night to announce that ‘there are rumors going around about Saudi involvement, and they absolutely aren’t [involved].’?”

    Johns’ bio describes him as president of No Man Left Behind Veterans Advocacy Group. But federal records also list him as a registered Saudi agent making $100,000 to mobilize vets to lobby against JASTA. The primary registrant on his disclosure form is Qorvis MSLGROUP, the Saudi government’s top PR firm in Washington.

    The Saudi government pays for transportation to and around the nation’s capitol as well as footing the $560/night bill at Trump International Hotel, meals and drinks. In return, veterans are expected to “storm” Congress and convince members to weaken the bill in favor of Saudi government interests, all the while veterans aren’t told the story of who is providing for their trip to the halls of Congress.

  • Olathe shooter thought he shot Iranians

    Last week, Adam Purinton, a Navy veteran submariner, shot Srinivas Kuchibhotla, 32, Alok Madasani, 32, and Ian Grillot in a bar in Olathe, Kansas. Kuchibhotla died in the shooting. After the incident Purinton drove 70 miles to Henry County, Missouri and told a bartender at the local Applebee’s restaurant that he had just shot two Iranians. Srinivas Kuchibhotla and Alok Madasani are in fact Indians (dot not feather) who were employed by Garmin, the GPS people.

    From the Associated Press;

    Andy Berthelsen, a neighbor of Purinton’s for the past 15 years, told the AP that Purinton had become “a drunken mess” after his father’s death about 18 months ago. He said he doesn’t believe the shooting stemmed from hatred, and that it likely resulted from Purinton’s physical and mental deterioration.

    Initially, police authorities told reporters that they didn’t think that Purinton’s Navy service contributed to PTSD thus causing him to shoot what he perceived as Iranians. I’m not sure how many submariners have contact with Iranians, anyway. But, you know, reporters are just so accustomed to blaming veterans’ PTSD for their bad behavior, they just can’t let it go, according to Fox 4;

    When asked by reporters about the gun used in the shooting, the argument that led up to the shooting, or whether Purinton, a Navy veteran, suffered possible PTSD, the prosecutors and investigators said they could not comment.

    Alcoholism can’t account for bad behavior, but PTSD fits nicely into the media’s narrative.

  • Judge Joseph Wapner passes

    Judge Joseph Wapner passes

    Reality TV’s first celebrity judge, Joseph Wapner, of People’s Court fame has passed at the tender age of 97. Of course, he’s featured here because, like most of his generation, he was a veteran of World War II. According to Wiki; “Wapner was awarded the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star while serving in the South Pacific in Cebu. He was honorably discharged from the United States Army as a lieutenant.”

    From the New York Daily News;

    Wapner debuted on the show in 1981 and remained on “The People’s Court” for 12 years, longer than any other judge in its history. He oversaw real small claims cases using a tough but fair approach, cutting short all nonsense and bickering he saw from the bench.

    The show became an instant hit, and opened the door for the new genre of reality court programs that continues today.

    Wapner stepped down from “The People’s Court” in 1993, after nearly 2,500 episodes.

    Thanks to Bobo for the link.

  • Vet’s stolen medals recovered

    Mike Pomeroy left his home during the Oroville Dam spillway emergency last week. In his absence, thieves broke into his home and they stole his medals. Several of you sent us links when it happened.

    Well, the medals have been recovered and the thieves arrested, according to Fox News;

    Police had been keeping track and receiving reports of a blue pickup truck that had been parked at the Yuba City St. Isidore Catholic Church’s parking lot. The medals had allegedly been seen being placed inside of a planter in the back of the truck.

    The truck’s owner was unaware that the stolen medals had been placed in his vehicle. When he discovered them he delivered them to the Yuba City Police Department.

    Two women and a man have been arrested in connection to the case. Their identities and involvement in the burglary have not been reported at this time.

  • NBC New York; Veteran and Active Duty Shooter Incidents

    NBC4 New York City took the opportunity that Esteban Santiago, a Puerto Rico National Guardsman, shot people in Ft Lauderdale last week to highlight 11 incidents of veterans and eleven “high profile mass shootings” over the last twenty-five years. Yes, eleven incidents in twenty-five years deserves scrutiny.

    Some of the veterans listed in the slide show were deployed to war, but most weren’t. The ones who did deploy weren’t in military occupational specialties that would have trained them in their nefarious endeavors.

    They include Nidal Hasan without mentioning that he was actually a terrorist on a jihad at Fort Hood, Texas on November 5, 2009. In fact I wonder if they have a slide show for folks that singles out mass shooters of the jihadist variety.

    The list includes Micah Johnson, who even the New York Times admits “had an affinity for Black Power organizations”.

    Wade Michael Page was dishonorably discharged for being a racist more than ten years before his crime, but he makes the list for shooting Sikhs at their temple. Aaron Alexis, the Navy Yard shooter is on the list, but he had his military career cut short because of his mental problems, again several years before he committed his act.

    Regardless, eleven incidents in twenty-five years is not an epidemic – nothing more than click-bait for low-information voters.

  • Pittsburgh Post-Gazette denies Vietnam vet’s last request

    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette denies Vietnam vet’s last request

    David Ryan

    Air Force veteran David Ryan was called a “baby killer” upon his return from Vietnam, like many of his generation who answered their nation’s call to duty. So, he asked his daughter to make sure that his obituary emphasized that he wasn’t a baby killer, according to KPTV. So when the time came she made the request to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that they add the line “not a murderer, not a baby killer, just a Vietnam vet.” The paper refused with no explanation;

    “They didn’t give a reason. They just said we cannot print this,” [his daughter, Heather] Vargo said.

    She says her father has been disrespected once again.

    “I feel like he was disrespected then, and he was disrespected again whenever they refused to print that. His last words,” she said.

    A different local paper, the Penn Hills Progress, will be printing the full obituary on the funeral home’s website.

    It seems to me that printing that line would be easier than not printing it, if anyone at the Post-Gazette believed it. I’m sure that he’d asked to print a plea for a vote for the wife of a draft dodger for President, it wouldn’t have been a discussion.

    I called the Post-Gazette’s editorial department and they blame a contractor that does their obits for denying the request. They tell me that they are investigating the incident.

  • Eric Schmitt-Matzen and his sad Santa story

    Eric Schmitt-Matzen and his sad Santa story

    Eric Schmitt-Matzen

    A number of folks have sent us this story in USATODAY about Eric Schmitt-Matzen and one of his trips to the hospital in his Santa Claus persona to visit a sick child. Schmitt-Matzen claims that he served in the 1/75th Rangers for four years, and I want to believe him.

    “When I walked in, he was laying there, so weak it looked like he was ready to fall asleep. I sat down on his bed and asked, ‘Say, what’s this I hear about you’re gonna miss Christmas? There’s no way you can miss Christmas! Why, you’re my Number One elf!

    “He looked up and said, ‘I am?’

    “I said, ‘Sure!’

    “I gave him the present. He was so weak he could barely open the wrapping paper. When he saw what was inside, he flashed a big smile and laid his head back down.

    ‘“They say I’m gonna die,’ he told me. ‘How can I tell when I get to where I’m going?’

    “I said, ‘Can you do me a big favor?’

    “He said, ‘Sure!’

    “When you get there, you tell ’em you’re Santa’s Number One elf, and I know they’ll let you in.

    “He said, ‘They will?’

    “I said, ‘Sure!’

    “He kinda sat up and gave me a big hug and asked one more question: ‘Santa, can you help me?’

    “I wrapped my arms around him. Before I could say anything, he died right there. I let him stay, just kept hugging and holding on to him.

    The 75th Ranger Regiment says that he is a Ranger;