
Massachusetts’ Eagle-Tribune tells the story of 93-year-old Morley Piper who appeared with President Obama at a Normandy 70-year memorial to the D-Day invasion. Piper now admits that he didn’t come ashore with the 29th Infantry Division on D-Day as he had told folks that he had.
In an interview at his Essex home Wednesday night, Piper apologized for lying about his military service. He said he served in the Army with the 459th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battalion and participated in the Normandy invasion but well after the 29th Infantry stormed the beaches and bore the brunt of the German resistance. Piper’s updated account of his military service could not be immediately verified Wednesday night.
Piper said he began lying about his experience when he needed a credential to attend the 50th anniversary of Normandy in 1994. He told organizers he had been a member of the 29th Infantry so that he could participate in the ceremonies, he said.
When he returned to the United States and was asked to speak about his war-time experiences, he began including the misrepresentation that he had been with the 29th Infantry, including in stories that appeared in The Eagle-Tribune.
“I could have shut it off afterward, but I didn’t,” he said. “It kind of spiraled out of control.”
He has been giving speeches and talks about his imagined escapades, bragging about his non-existent Bronze Star for valor;
In a message that Piper said he planned to send to friends and others affected by his fabrications, he wrote, “I am profoundly sorry that I have to tell you I am one of those sad old men with an altered WWII military record. I made a terrible mistake. It should have never happened.”
[…]
“I meant no harm, though it seems inadequate to say that now,” Piper wrote in his message to friends and others. “People make mistakes. Mine is inexcusable.”













































