I’m just wondering because I’m always hearing about how far we are behind the “industrialized world” in so many things. Maybe we need more of this in Congress. We haven’t been treated to a spectacle like this since Preston Brooks caned Charles Sumner on the Senate floor in 1856.
Category: Foreign Policy
-
The stone age scourge
I read this yesterday at Best of the Web and the Jerusalem Post. Now it’s made it’s way to Fox News. I’ll admit that it sounded a bit far-fetched that J-Post can’t find but one witness to this, but it’s becoming news, nonetheless;
He said he had been a highly regarded member of the force, and had so “impressed my superiors” that, at 18, “I was given the ‘honor’ to temporarily marry young girls before they were sentenced to death.”
In the Islamic Republic it is illegal to execute a young woman, regardless of her crime, if she is a virgin, he explained. Therefore a “wedding” ceremony is conducted the night before the execution: The young girl is forced to have sexual intercourse with a prison guard – essentially raped by her “husband.”
“I regret that, even though the marriages were legal,” he said.
Why the regret, if the marriages were “legal?”
“Because,” he went on, “I could tell that the girls were more afraid of their ‘wedding’ night than of the execution that awaited them in the morning. And they would always fight back, so we would have to put sleeping pills in their food. By morning the girls would have an empty expression; it seemed like they were ready or wanted to die.
You probably ought to read the rest of the report, if you think you can stomach it. Both Best of the Web and Fox News link to J-Post.
I really don’t know what I can add to the story except that I shudder at the thought that these folks could have nuclear weapons within the next few months.
-
Honduras teeters on violence
Yesterday, de facto Honduran President Roberto Micheletti offered to step down to keep the peace there (according to New America Media);
President Roberto Micheletti said Wednesday for the first time that he is prepared to step down if it will return peace to Honduras, but on the condition that ousted President Manuel Zelaya does not return to office, reports La Opinión. Meanwhile, the government Wednesday night re-instituted a curfew that it had lifted over the weekend in an attempt to quell national unrest.
Compare that to Manuel Zelaya’s threat to conduct “the final battle” for his return to power in the Central American nation;
Patricia Rodas, foreign minister of Zelaya’s toppled government, says Zelaya is en route to Honduras but she did not provide details as to where he plans to set up the alternative seat of government. Zelaya himself will announce it when he deems appropriate.
One is willing to resolve the situation while the other side is willing to spill Honduran blood. Nicaraguans are against Daniel Ortega‘s attempts to interfere in their neighbor’s politics.
Fidel Castro demands that the US withdraw their troops from Honduras;
“The only correct decision at this moment is to demand the U.S. authorities stop interfering and providing military assistance to coup leaders and withdraw their troops from Honduras,” Cuban media reported citing Castro as saying in his article.
He added that “the civil coup in Honduras has created a really complicated situation in Latin America, which cannot be resolved by traps, cunning and lies.”
“New details of U.S. involvement [in the coup] emerge daily and it [the coup] will result in a broad resonance across the whole Latin America,” the 82-year-old former Cuban leader said.
US involvement in the coup was to prevent it for over a week, until Hondurans decided to stop listening. Zelaya admitted as much the first week. The only “new details” are coming from motor-mouth dictator Hugo Chavez (who also admits to daily cocaine use). You’d think Castro would know better since there have been thousands of American troops stationed at Guantanamo,Cuba for nearly a century with no adverse effect on Cuba’s government.